3.2.2 migration to 4.0 problem.

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
jssouza
Legendary
Legendary
Distribution: Porteus x86 arm

Post#46 by jssouza » 18 Dec 2017, 10:50

raja wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 09:16
File browser without root access.
In guest login: Menu->Administration->Nemo Root User
In root login: This is upstream and a known issue

Code: Select all

[root:~]# nemo-desktop 
nemo-desktop cannot be run as root, please try again as a normal user
Caja and Dolphin in MATE and KDE5 have been patched to allow root login. Haven't found a patch for Nemo. Suggestions are welcome.
raja wrote:
Package without a Browser. Browser selection and update tool failed for "Opera".
Missing libbfd part of binutils.
raja wrote:
Where can I find Porteus Kernel config file for comparision.
As root:

Code: Select all

[root:~]# modprobe configs
[root:~]# gunzip -c /proc/config.gz > kernel_config

burdi01
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Slackware PartedMagic Xubuntu

Post#47 by burdi01 » 18 Dec 2017, 11:06

I noticed that the 4.0 ISOs in http://dl.porteus.org/x86_64/testing/Porteus-v4.0rc1/ are labeled "rc1".
For as far as I am aware beta and rc releases are for public testing, but one will not get much testing without announcing them ... I was aware of the alpha (?) ISOs of some months ago, but I missed the beta ones.
Anyway, some preliminary testing the ISOs under VirtualBox showed one bigish problem: autologin results in a black screen. One has to boot in text mode, login and issue "startx" to get a fully functional X session.
Other than that my only complaint thus far is that the very nice Porteus Browser Tool is only available in the Cinnamon version. Any reason why it is not available in the other versions?
Kind regards, Dick
:D

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#48 by Ed_P » 18 Dec 2017, 16:22

burdi01 wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 11:06
Anyway, some preliminary testing the ISOs under VirtualBox showed one bigish problem: autologin results in a black screen. One has to boot in text mode, login and issue "startx" to get a fully functional X session.
Other than that my only complaint thus far is that the very nice Porteus Browser Tool is only available in the Cinnamon version.
And now you see why there hasn't been a public announcement. That combined with brokenman and others being on vacation till January.
Ed

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#49 by wread » 23 Dec 2017, 15:15

Here my research on Porteus-4.0-cinnamon:
First I moved NetworkManager to 002-xorg. It is not culprit of NM. Jay was right!

Then I moved 003-cinnamon to "optional" and started Porteus in text mode. Xorg seems to be ok. Activated 003-cinnamon and started it under X and there came the clue: by activating cinnamon you get various warnings indicating paths that should not start with /desktop, /system, etc. etc..

The wrong files are located at /usr/share/GConf/gsettings in 003-cinnamon. These files are read at activation time by /usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas to build caches at /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas, resulting in wrong caches that lead to the black screen at start.

As I am not a Cinnamon expert, I do not know how to correct the wrong files to avoid the warnings at activation. The author of the module (fulalas?) will know better how to do it!

I hope this will resolve the issue :)

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#50 by Ed_P » 23 Dec 2017, 16:24

Thank you wread. :good: Impressive research. :happy62: When jssouza returns in January I'm sure he will appreciate your investigation also.
Ed

raja
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: v3.2.2-32 and Porteus-Artix-64

Post#51 by raja » 13 Jan 2018, 16:52

jssouza, a few more....
Archive Manager fails to unpack ISOs.
File name does not get highlighted on "rename".
You may love to eliminate all those useless 'cinnamon warning messages' during shutdown.

Otherwise Cinnamon offer is very impressive, very fast boot and stable. cheers.

Thanks again for your info on getting the 'config' file. My custom kernel is working fine, with support for 'touchpad'.
Linux Kernel-4.4.272 -32 bit; Linux Kernel-5.4.185 - 64 bit

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#52 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2018, 19:10

The wrong files are located at /usr/share/GConf/gsettings in 003-cinnamon. These files are read at activation time by /usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas to build caches at /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas, resulting in wrong caches that lead to the black screen at start.
I don't think this is the culprit either. I confirm the blank screen but only in virtualbox. In vurtualbox if you boot into text mode and run startx it works ok. I would like some help with this bug.

EDIT: Added quotations
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#53 by Jack » 13 Jan 2018, 19:16

brokenman wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 19:10
I don't think this is the culprit either. I confirm the blank screen but only in virtualbox. In vurtualbox if you boot into text mode and run startx it works ok. I would like some help with this bug.
Could this be Mate problem to or something like it?
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary

Post#54 by jssouza » 13 Jan 2018, 19:45

brokenman wrote:
Not sure I follow. Could you please elaborate on this please? If there are wrong caches, why is it that with wireless on a marvel chipset (that I have) not having this problem?

Also, why is Jack also having the same problem on his MATE module?
brokenman wrote:
I don't think this is the culprit either. I confirm the blank screen but only in virtualbox. In vurtualbox if you boot into text mode and run startx it works ok.
Or, if you start in virtualbox with cable disconnected (Please check ncmprhnsbl post on our debug channel)

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#55 by Jack » 13 Jan 2018, 20:08

The only way to stop the black screen is this, I have to use this ISO porteus-4.0-x86_64-20171120.iso any thing after that I get the black screen. I still say it is in module 001 or 002 but what test I did I am 99% sure it is in 001 module if I remember.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

jssouza
Legendary
Legendary

Post#56 by jssouza » 13 Jan 2018, 20:09

Thank you for your feedback on Cinnamon raja.

You would be pleased to note that all of your issues that you noted down were discussed on our debug channels.
raja wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 16:52
It seems File roller (The archive manager in cinnamon) can unpack ISOs. Ed_P, could you explain please? The link for your reference is here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?t=7342&start=15 Thanks.
BTW, raja, if you still think file roller is ineffective in unpacking ISOs I would be happy to add isomaster. We decided not to do so in our debug channel.
raja wrote:
Yes, also noted by Ed_P. The problem is because of Adwaita theme. This is the reason why Evo Vertex theme (proposed by Blaze) has also been included in cinnamon (change to this theme and you will not have this problem). By rc2, I will raise the question again as to which theme should be the default one.
raja wrote:
You may love to eliminate all those useless 'cinnamon warning messages' during shutdown.
Yes, and maybe it would please you to be aware that fulalas and I have discussed and actually removed a lot of these warnings on all desktops. By the way, these warnings are not coming during shutdown. Press Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you will see that they are already there. It is just that when you shutdown, these warning messages are shown, as the gui and the system shuts down.
Also, if you see some GTK warnings, these are because linux mint (and hence cinnamon) are still on the old LTS ubuntu and hence on an older gtk3, while slackware current is already on the latest gtk3. When ubuntu and hence linux mint (and hence cinnamon) jumps to the next LTS this April, they wouls also be on the latest (and final) gtk3, whch might eliminate more warnings regarding gtk3.
raja wrote:
Thanks again for your info on getting the 'config' file. My custom kernel is working fine, with support for 'touchpad'.
Yes, and a very good job as well at that. Well done :good:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#57 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2018, 21:27

Not sure I follow.
Sorry, I was quoting wread above and forgot the quotation code. I am actually saying that this is NOT the culprit.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#58 by Ed_P » 14 Jan 2018, 02:01

jssouza wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 20:09
raja wrote:
It seems File roller (The archive manager in cinnamon) can unpack ISOs. Ed_P, could you explain please? The link for your reference is here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?t=7342&start=15 Thanks.
From my limited experience it seems the archive manager supports Adding files to the ISO and Extracting files from the ISO but it does not support deleting files from the ISO. Whether adding a file with the same name as one in the ISO would replace the file in the ISO I didn't try. I have updated Porteus ISOs in the past using ISOMaster.
jssouza wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 20:09
raja wrote:
Yes, also noted by Ed_P. The problem is because of Adwaita theme. This is the reason why Evo Vertex theme (proposed by Blaze) has also been included in cinnamon (change to this theme and you will not have this problem). By rc2, I will raise the question again as to which theme should be the default one.
One that supports rename. :happy62: The current one doesn't. Not crazy about the Evo ones.
Ed

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#59 by wread » 14 Jan 2018, 02:28

I was updating my kde5 last week end and got also a black screen....
Culprit was a duplicated version of icu4c's, 56 and 60 in 001-core and 002-xorg. It took me 3 evenings to solve the problem...I will take a look at cinnamons case again..
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

raja
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: v3.2.2-32 and Porteus-Artix-64

Post#60 by raja » 14 Jan 2018, 10:11

Porteus Setting Centre - PSC:

I use changes module built here. OS, too saves a "psc settings.xzm" during shut down. This particular module (loopx in memory) introduces a "reiserfs" error message, Kernel warning. Boot message clean, after removing this psc settings module. May be 'file system' creation is not perfect and kernel conducts a reiserfsck?
Linux Kernel-4.4.272 -32 bit; Linux Kernel-5.4.185 - 64 bit