The Problems of the "Bleeding Edge"

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#1 by wread » 14 Nov 2017, 23:32

@all
It is very exciting to hear the term "Bleeding Edge",as it supposes advanced knowledge of the matter; I am one of those interested in the "last Wow" in computing... But there is a price you must pay for that: Pa...tie...ce! I will explain...

Every time you update a module, you have to run all applications you have installed, to see if they still run. :o

Normally it brings with it a chain reaction of module updates...at times you will think "Oh God, why did I changed that! :O:

Sometimes you will not find a necessary update to make a favorite application to run again. Then you have to invent a little bit: normally it is a new library that is more advanced than the one asked for the program. The first thought is to add a symbolic link to the new library using the old name. Ok, but sometimes that will not work, either :crazy:

Don't panic!, you can open the old module and look for the asked library, and with that you make an extra module with a different name. Just test which library/ies you need in the live side of Porteus and then make the package; this you put together with the lagging development module -at best in an extra folder- and you are done.

It is worthwhile, try it :celebrate14:

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#2 by brokenman » 18 Nov 2017, 18:06

Of all the distros I've known, slackware has the most stable bleeding edge. I have followed the current version now for some years constantly updating and not once found a serious problem after an update. The slackware devs seem to have their feet firmly planted on the ground.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.