Zeroconf

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Zeroconf

Post#1 by wread » 09 Jul 2011, 14:56

@fanthon,
@brokenman,
I have been hacking on VLC-1.1.10 recently; I posted the updated modules already a couple of days ago. That package contains the module Avahi, that allows automatic detection of all network connection possibilities; this can be done only if Zeroconf is enabled in the OS.

I learned this by chance: I have an USB stick with Porteus-V1.0-rc2 32-bits and kde-4.2.1-gusterapolis; there I installed VLC-1.1.10 for testing, and I saw this feature "zeroconf", so I tried it. Surprise! it worked! I could browse all the machines -over samba shares- in my office. I tried to do the same with the Trinity version and it says zeroconf is by compilation not enabled.

I haven't tried out kde4-64 bits, but I suppose zeroconf is built in that version. I think we should enable it in next version of Porteus. 8)

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Zeroconf

Post#2 by brokenman » 10 Jul 2011, 01:30

I needs to be configured during compile of KDE i think. I may be recompiling Trinity as enough has been ported to cmake now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.