Porteus as a personal keycard

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
HarperMadi
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: Ubuntu 10.14

Porteus as a personal keycard

Post#1 by HarperMadi » 08 Dec 2016, 11:37

I was wondering about the theoretical possibility of using Porteus or similar mobile operating systems as a form of corporate keycard.

To explain further, the company would use microSD cards with an individualised version of the operating system to boot company devices which have no built-in OS. This could be used for communal tablets, desk tops, cell phones, etc, and could turn any device into a Company device with a quick reboot, overriding the existing system temporarily. When the user is done, simply shut down the device, remove their OS card, and walk away. Place it in another device, boot, and log in. The card would carry all of the user's files, network access certificates, and user ID for the Company, with limited network access dependant on the device ID registered by the user's ID card, which would be password protected and encrypted.

Now in order for this to work, I'd need to know if any of these features were even plausible, let alone theoretically possible, and I'd need to know how.

My best start so far, is that the device drivers for each unit, such as a tablet, PC, or a smartphone to be booted would have to be still on board in local memory to allow cross-hardware compatibility, and would have to be accessible during initial boot-up, most likely using a reference file of some sort.

This idea is not my forte, clearly.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus as a personal keycard

Post#2 by francois » 08 Dec 2016, 21:15

Associated threads http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=6405
and viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6316&p=51006#p51006

But the idea is very interesting. Maybe you should PM brokenman to attract is attention to this project. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: Porteus as a personal keycard

Post#3 by Bogomips » 09 Dec 2016, 17:04

Sadly no Open Source, just micro$oft. :(

Looks like being dependent on intel Atom or Core tablets.
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB