Submit a patch for upcoming Porteus 1.1 release

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Submit a patch for upcoming Porteus 1.1 release

Post#1 by fanthom » 27 Jun 2011, 22:12

Porteus 1.0 is out and we have no plans for 1.1 release yet. Probably it will be issued in a few moths from now , but it depends on number of bugs found in 1.0.
Ideally we would have a 6 months cycle, 2 releases per year:
x.0 would be released after every new Slackware version while x.1 six months later containing only a kernel update and bugfixes.

We may consider updating LXDE/KDE, but not the base libs and toolchain (001-core, 002-xorg and devel module). They must remain the same for saving compatibility with each full slackware version. Slackware-current is not the case anymore.

Having a 6 months development cycle doesn't mean that nothing gonna happen during next 3-4 months :)
Even now you can submit a patch which can enter next release.

Few rules to follow:
- describe in details what your patch/fix is bringing to Porteus (include info about arch: 32/64/both)
- ideally patches would be posted here as a modules (easy to add to the existing ISO and test). diff files could be also accepted but i think brokenman also would prefer xzm's
- preserve full path in the module
example for files which goes to the ISO and not the module:
/boot/doc/bloaders.txt
/boot/syslinux/liloinst.sh
/porteus/make_iso.sh

example for files which goes to the the module:
/etc/rc.d/rc.M
/home/guest/.config/pcmanfm/some_file

- if you add patch containing a config files (for example kwriterc, .bashrc) for a guest, then same files must be attached for root.
example:
/home/guest/.bashrc
and
/root/.bashrc
- correct permissions must be set on all files
- name of the module should clearly state what the xzm contains.

i have created a folder on our community server for each arch (i486, x86_64) where fixes and patches will be uploaded for testing before they make into first beta of next release:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/i486/testing/1.0-fixes/
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/1.0-fixes/

Remember: do not add fixes from 32bits to 64bit Porteus as it may break some things!!
Patches containing new features can be also stored over there.

Blaze and wread submitted some patches already in other thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=619

from now on let's try to gather all patches in this particular thread for easy tracking purpose.

Dont work too hard and enjoy the summer guys!
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

tikbalang
White ninja
White ninja

Re: Submit a patch for upcoming Porteus 1.1 release

Post#2 by tikbalang » 28 Jun 2011, 13:47

can "/boot" be moved inside "/porteus" such that "/porteus/boot"?

this will keep file interference with other distros to a minimum.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#3 by fanthom » 28 Jun 2011, 20:46

@tikbalang
interesting idea, but this thread is designed for 'ready to go' solutions. pls create a new thread in Devevelopment section of the forum where it can be discussed in more details :wink:

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 29 Jun 2011, 05:21

Two Patches:

First, a module with 4 scripts for the /boot folder in the ISO, to correct the text that states that users will be prompted automatically during boot-up to create a save.dat. This function is replaced with Porteus-Settings-Assistant or Porteus save.dat manager. That module is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1x3vl51dut1mw48

Next, a minor update for the FAQ included in the ISO, which rewords the instructions for changing the default passwords. That module is here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ekpvo3an565u3nc

Cheers!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by att » 30 Jun 2011, 14:59

Sorry my possible ignorance, but I have had NO ISSUES with Porteus 1.0, and I've tested it for quite a while.
I find it totally stable, well-working, and could not detect any bugs so far.
If there are any bugs, which are they?

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#6 by fanthom » 01 Jul 2011, 20:05

@Ahau
thanks a lot - merged into my tree :)

@att
i'm happy to hear that but other people may find something. this thread is designated for devs who wants to contribute with solutions.
patches are welcome in every distro i guess....

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#7 by Ahau » 12 Jul 2011, 05:10

Updated Install Guide for the ISO (matches what is on the web as of earlier today):

http://www.mediafire.com/?unx6t8vqtue7no0

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#8 by fanthom » 10 Oct 2011, 18:26

Hello guys,

By the end of this week i'm planning to release rc1 of upcoming 64bit Porteus-1.1 (it depends on 3.1 kernel availability and BFS patch) . if you have some stuff going into it please post it as soon as it's possible in this thread.
Ahau - pls submit latest set of docs (is the new FAQ ready? if not i'll pull it to rc2), Hamza should go with PSC, brokenman with PPM, Falcony - if you are you planning to contribute with lzm-utils for 64bits pls please post it here for integration with porteus ISO, others - give me what you have :)

Thanks in advance.

cchuang
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by cchuang » 10 Oct 2011, 23:59

Hi,

Here might not be a bug, but it actually causes some problems. If we use load=module1 in porteus.cfg, the modules in both in optional/module1 and optional/modules2 will be activated; for instance: load=python in cfg file but files in optional/python and optional/python1 are activated. This works well in previous version and in slax day.

Best wishes,
cch

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#10 by fanthom » 11 Oct 2011, 22:04

hello cchuang,

if you have 2 python modules in optional folder named for example:

Code: Select all

python-2.6.6-x86_64-1.xzm
python-3.0-x86_64-1.xzm
then "load=python" gonna activate both. if you want to load one module only then you need to provide more specific data for "load=" cheatcode.
for example:
"load=python-2" gonna activate first module while "load=python-3" second one.
if 2 modules has very similar name:

Code: Select all

python-2.6.6-x86_64-1.xzm
python-2.6.6-x86_64-2.xzm
then you need to specify name till first chacacter/number which is different. in this case it will be:
"load=python-2.6.6-x86_64-1" or "load=python-2.6.6-x86_64-2"
you can always provide full module name "load=python-2.6.6-x86_64-2.xzm" to be 100% sure.

cheers

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#11 by Ahau » 21 Nov 2011, 17:21

Hi All --

Here's a patch I've put together for pcmanfm (file manager in LXDE). This patch adds items to the right-click menu in pcmanfm, to mirror the service menus for konqueror/dolphin. Some of these will appear in the RC2 for 1.1, but I missed the merge window to have all of them included. They should work in V1.0 and V1.1. Please take a look and let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

32-bit module:
http://www.mediafire.com/?e9e4okqjr9xwj75

64-bit module:
http://www.mediafire.com/?dd7d9nni5ijccfn

To use: Download the module for your edition of Porteus and save it in /porteus/modules. On your next reboot, open pcmanfm, and right click on a folder (to create a module from it), xzm module (to extract, mount, unmount the module or to open porteus-module-tools), lzm module, .deb .rpm (to convert to xzm), or tgz/txz (to convert to xzm or install/remove the package). Note that in 64-bit porteus, in order to build a module from a directory, you'll have to right click on the directory, then click on "open with...", because there are several applications that can be run on folders and pcman puts them in a sub-menu.

Known issues: You can't select .txz's and .tgz's and access the menus. You can run them on multiple .txz's or multiple .tgz's, but not a mix.

These modules contain a new program, ktsuss. There is not a lot of documentation for this program, but you can grab the latest code here: http://code.google.com/p/ktsuss/updates/list

Ktsuss is an alternative to kdesu or gksu, with very few dependencies. It's very small (~30K), and it can function in lxde without any kde dependencies.

The .desktop menu entries can be found inside the module at /usr/share/applications, and I've placed some modified scripts in /opt/porteus-scripts/pcmanfm (these are variations of the scripts used for konqueror service menus in the 32-bit edition, modified to work with Xdialog and pcmanfm, which doesn't pass information to the script in exactly the same way as konqueror).

Enjoy!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#12 by brokenman » 23 Nov 2011, 20:57

Excellent job. I have included all in 32bit rc2 release for testing.

Will create something so Home icon in LXDE desktop opens in pcmanfm shortly and put here. A also thinking about changing lxde batterymon to batti ... which users upower. Having an issue with batterymon on my laptop crying out when i unplug my power lead.

Posted after 1 day 22 hours 59 minutes 41 second:
wmanager (32 & 64bit)
This appends functionality to /opt/porteus-scripts/paths and adds a symlink /tmp/.wmanager that points to the window manager of the current desktop session. This allows devs to use a universal file for opening the available window manager. Supports konqueror, dolphin and pcmanfm.

home-system-icons (32bit only)
This alters the $HOME/Desktop/Home.desktop and $HOME/Desktop/System.desktop files to open either konqueror or pcmanfm depending which environment you are in. It is dependent upon the above wmanager fix. I consider this a fix because if you boot to LXDE you have two icons on your desktop that use konqueror instead f the native pcmanfm.

In this module i have also implemented a universal icon folder for porteus at /usr/share/pixmaps/porteus which i think is a better place than the current /opt/porteus-scripts.

In the System.desktop file the following options were changed:
Exec=/opt/porteus-scripts/system-desktop-icon.sh
Icon=/opt/porteus-scripts/icons/system.png

Both can be found here
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post#13 by fanthom » 24 Nov 2011, 11:36

@Ahau
thanks a lot for ktsuss package. this is what we were looking for. i'm rewriting all scripts to use it instead of 'xterm' for 'switch to root function'.

@brokenman
wmanager works nicely for me :)

Thanks

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#14 by brokenman » 24 Nov 2011, 13:23

+1 Fanthom. ktsuss looks good.

I didn't change desktop icon functionality in KDE4 because it complains when pointed to a script.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.