Firefox 4 series Orphaned? + x86_64 Online Updating

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
jcuk
White ninja
White ninja

Firefox 4 series Orphaned? + x86_64 Online Updating

Post#1 by jcuk » 23 Jun 2011, 10:51

After checking out the Mozilla Security announcements and related articles yesterday
I seem to remember a statement that further support for Firefox 4.0 may be skipped
and a transition to 5.0 made. Orphaning the v4 series.

With the nicely ciustomized (slackware access plugin) in the next release - could you check to make
sure that it remains possible to update it online to mozilla servers?

AFAIR I tried an online update from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1 in an early RC for x86_64 v1.0 and it didnt work.
The SLAX-remix FireFox 3.6.xx continues to happily update online, a year after it was released...

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Firefox 4 series Orphaned? + x86_64 Online Updating

Post#2 by fanthom » 23 Jun 2011, 20:57

Firefox in Porteus comes from official Slackware repo - can anybody check if Firefox updates automatically in Slackware?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: Firefox 4 series Orphaned? + x86_64 Online Updating

Post#3 by Tonio » 24 Jun 2011, 01:01

Firefox by itself does not update in Slackware. even if you click check for updates and update via it. To update Firefox, I usually run
# slackpkg update
# slackpkg install-new
# slackpkg upgrade-all

when official Slackware releases updates, I apply them via above commands to maintain running current :)
I learned this from distrowatch.com as they provided a howto:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20090518

This is what I have encountered, others may use official Firefox packages and can update from the browser itself :), but if one uses official slackware packages.