Life after Porteus v1.0_final

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Life after Porteus v1.0_final

Post#1 by brokenman » 14 Jun 2011, 23:21

Call me obsessive but i am already thinking of new features for the next release. here is what i would like to see:

An /opt/porteus-scripts/icons directory with nice structure. Anyone creating a script should use the said structure.

Convert all CLI scripts to GUI ... and keep the CLI versions. A menu item for 'CLI scripts' is added which lists the available CLI scripts. Also a general script called cli-scripts which lists available scripts.

Merge some of the items in System menu, and create a single script to handle some of them.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Life after Porteus v1.0_final

Post#2 by fanthom » 15 Jun 2011, 12:19

commooon.... brokenman!
we all must take 2 months off, refresh our minds and then we can go back to Porteus.

i like the idea of 'feature requests' thread for 1.1 but hate to think about it now :)
pls continue posting your wishes for 1.1 here

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by agreimann » 21 Jun 2011, 17:36

Well, Hamza and I have already agreed to team up for Porteus Settings Assistant 2.0. That oughta allow a bunch more features and less bugs to be in there, if we're working as a team on it. There's already a 'snapshot' on Google Code that contains some of Hamza's contributions, which I highly appreciate. :)

@brokenman: Already done. Distributed with Porteus Settings Assistant is icons_installer. I do not hold any sort of license for that. If people want to take it, re-spin it, whatever... I do not mind, and this extracts to /opt/porteus-scripts/shared-icons where everyone is welcome to use those, though right now they only contain icons necessary to run PSA. And I certainly agree with you! I say we all team up and GUI all the CLI scripts for people to look at! :D And, I do agree--we should keep CLI versions, if nothing else.

@fanthom: I have been meaning to ask because I put Porteus in the title without permission--is using Porteus within the title of the program infringement, or are you okay with this title?

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 06 Jul 2011, 10:38

Printing abilities for the porteus system as good as the WiFi and the display features.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2011, 21:55

Fanthom i've been resting .... a little. I am not working here at the moment so plenty of time to do the things i enjoy.

agreimann, you are fine with the name. It is being used in the Porteus project. I'll bet you ask the supermarket manager before testing the grapes!

Francois, there has been a bit done on printers already. I think wread has contributed alot towards that. It's a good request.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#6 by francois » 10 Jul 2011, 04:17

Thanks brokenman.

I found this thread from wread on hp printing for 32-bit:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=239

Rereading it, might make obsolete what I am trying on the following thread:
http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=660

And as I was writing Wread just left a comment on that last post of mine.

I will see if this also works for my Brother printer.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.