Getting around UAC...

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Getting around UAC...

Post#1 by agreimann » 31 May 2011, 18:09

I want to definitely tell Blaze congratulations and great installer! I tested out the new UAC installer on Windows 7, and it works excellently!*

However, it's implementation is a little different from what I envisioned. It sounds like my old plans to build an installer for Porteus that I quit on when I saw Blaze was building a similar installer are beginning to want to surface again. :)

And... Linux guys, *we* still need a GUI installer. I know it goes against the Slax rules, but I think we should have an installer shortcut (and/or symbolic link) *outside* the boot and porteus directories for newbies to Porteus to make life easier on them, and maybe implement AutoPlay?

These are just development ideas, and yes, I think this is appropiately titled. We have a new issue with a new Windows to Porteus... "getting around UAC" with the new installer. And it is cool to think that Blaze has solved much of this problem.

@Blaze: (There's one typo--though--"reactive" should be "reactivate".) And, one more thing, but it is totally up to you--could you tell users to type uac in Start Search, press enter, and re-enable it? It'd probably make Windows people more comfortable running it. I've discovered this method works on 7, by the way. "Change User Account Control settings" is the first result. :D

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Re: Getting around UAC...

Post#2 by Blaze » 31 May 2011, 19:30

Thanks. But we are decided that TweakUAC.exe (+ win_start_here.hta) is default for Win.
Read more here.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by agreimann » 31 May 2011, 20:26

Great! That's good to know... but what happens with the installer you wrote, if this is indeed the case? Maybe I can consider working on a Linux installer, then. I really want to contribute to the Porteus project one way or another.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 31 May 2011, 20:29

The Linux Installer has been written by brokenman.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#5 by fanthom » 31 May 2011, 20:31

@Hamza and Blaze
i have the impression that you are trying to stop agreimann. we should be happy that he wants to contribute here and help him as much as we can.

@agreimann
it's rather too late for changing our installers. i think it could be a nice addition to Porteus 1.1 :)
i guess you have around 4 months from now on to write a GUI installer (Win or Lin) and present it here.

@all
as i said before: better implementation wins.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#6 by agreimann » 31 May 2011, 20:56

Thanks, fanthom! :) That's definitely encouraging!

Even though it sounds like others beat me to the installer, let me know what other project I could code, and I'll see about helping with that.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#7 by fanthom » 31 May 2011, 21:15

@agreimann
"let me know what other project I could code, and I'll see about helping with that"
please focus on one task for now - in case of success i'm sure we will find something more... :wink:
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#8 by agreimann » 31 May 2011, 23:31

No problem. Just glad to be a part of the Porteus forum. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 01 Jun 2011, 04:16

Maybe I can consider working on a Linux installer, then. I really want to contribute to the Porteus project one way or another.

Feel free to pick up writing the installer again. I wrote a USB installer, but it was a looong time ago and was designed for slax. It is also CLI. Converting this to GUI would be great. You can get the code in /opt/porteus-scripts. I think the more GUI the better ... I wrote the win_start_here.hta for this very reason. It was a way to create a pseudo GUI while using the already existing splash screen to keep file sizes down. I hope somebody checked the licensing for tweakUAC!!

Pay special attention to the bold part.

Re-Distribution Is NOT PERMITTED. You may inform others about the availability of this software and this web site, but you may not give copies of this software to others, or offer it for direct download from another server or web site, or redistribute this software in any other form to any third party, unless you have obtained a written permission from us to do so. You may copy the Software for archival purposes, provided that you have not altered it in any way.

Restrictions. You may not, except as expressly provided elsewhere in this Agreement, without the prior written consent of WinAbility Software Corporation: (i) redistribute the Software or give a copy of the Software to any third party; (ii) modify or translate the Software; (iii) reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Software, except to the extent this restriction is expressly prohibited by applicable law; (iv) create derivative works based on the Software; (v) merge or bundle the Software with another product; (vi) copy the Software; or (vii) remove or obscure any proprietary rights notices or labels on the Software. Immediately upon termination of this license for any reason, You shall uninstall all copies of the Software and return to WinAbility Software Corporation or destroy all copies of the Software and documentation, if any.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#10 by agreimann » 01 Jun 2011, 07:23

From the response I've received from everyone else besides fanthom, I think I would like wait until we're ready for Porteus 1.1, and stop meddling with things. It's apparent 1.0 is coming up too soon. I'll still have that ready anyway.

And... about the license of that program--wait a minute... because there is one way I just thought of. For Blaze's software to work with this software described, then what could be done is simply to ask the user to download it, and provide a link. In that way, we aren't including it in our GPLed software, and we aren't modifying it any... That's just a simple loophole, but I still don't know how legal that'd be, either.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 by brokenman » 02 Jun 2011, 13:37

I've sent an email to the team at tweakUAC requesting permission.

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by agreimann » 02 Jun 2011, 18:23

Blaze just modded and finished his installer. :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 02 Jun 2011, 23:36

OK ... we got the go ahead from the creator of TweakUAC. His only request is that we include a link to his site in the instructions. Here are his/her words.
The only thing we would ask in return is a link or two back to our site form yours. For example, in your installation instructions, please make the TweakUAC word a clickable link leading to: http://www.winability.com/tweak-uac/ If you could find a way to create a couple of such links on your web site, that would be much appreciated.
So all systems are go!!

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#14 by agreimann » 03 Jun 2011, 00:53

That's great! :D