Suggestion to edit "Appendix B" on the Porteus.org website

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
George
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus

Suggestion to edit "Appendix B" on the Porteus.org website

Post#1 by George » 25 Nov 2015, 17:31

The online instructions in "Appendix B - Saving changes to a Windows Filesystem" apply to a machine with a regular BIOS, but not on a UEFI machine. Ed_P explained that quite nicely in another thread on this forum, and I think adding a note about that on "Appendix B" would be very helpful to newbie users. For example, I think the following couple of lines would work (almost literally quoting Ed):

"If you are booting on a UEFI machine, you need to locate the /EFI/BOOT/refind.conf file and change line 470 to match the name and location of your .dat file. To make "Save Changes" the default boot option on a UEFI machine, in line 468 copy your changes= parm that you have in line 470. The result would be: options "changes=path/to/porteussave.dat"

Of course, if there are any other important relevant notes, they can be added as well.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Suggestion to edit "Appendix B" on the Porteus.org websi

Post#2 by brokenman » 27 Nov 2015, 00:15

Thanks George. I will take a look at updating the documentation with the next release.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.