The future of Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: The future of Porteus

Post#211 by brokenman » 12 Jan 2016, 23:58

Thanks Wread. If you could you send me a list of /var/log/packages for 003-kde5 it would be much appreciated.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Arch, Porteus-Nemesis 3.5

Post#212 by datruche » 13 Jan 2016, 22:44

Quite vital posts in this thread, of which interesting ones! A result is that I only read the first 4 pages :angel: So I'll keep discussing the main subject for later. Better leave some feedback after installing Nemesis (posting from it).

Instructions to initialize the package manager.
Though they may be somewhere I didn't see them yet. Thought it might help those who want to test Nemesis.

1. Upgrade pacman db
2. Choose your best mirrors (simply uncomment 3-10 of the official repos that are closest to your computer)
3. Update the db
4. Initialize Pacman's packages signature (mandatory)
5. Make Nemesis your way

Code: Select all

$  sudo pacman-db-upgrade
$  sudo vi /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
$  sudo pacman -Sy
$  sudo pacman-key --init  # can take 1-2 minutes on a low-profile machine
$  sudo pacman-key --populate
Optional 
$  sudo pacman -S <some_good_browser>
$  sudo pacman -S bash-completion-2.1-5
A raw feedback on Nemesis Defaults

Default conf
* Term: Guest default to a bold font which I find huge on a 1376*768 laptop. tty is bold and very Arch-default. I much rather the thinner font that comes in a new user's virtual terminal.
* Guest user has gid 1000, which does not exist.

Base packages
(dunno if modules are en route yet)
* Add bash-completion (it's allready implemented in /etc/bash/bashrc and will be on upon first boot, rather than install + source or reboot)
* keep Porteus 3.1's mousepad while it's 830 KiB vs 250 for leafpad, it has tabs, "Recent files", indent... invaluable IMHO
* What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet. Maybe netctl with wpa_supplicant? it has `wifi-menu` (ncurses) and weight 720 KiB total.

Now I understand why brokenman rather call it Nemesis. It's not yet Porteus Nemesis.

PS: atm I'm testing the effectiveness of a few distros to achieve some very casual tasks. Through real-world scenarios (that I'm putting together rather painfully, may post on that as interaction would most certainly help). Would that interest some of you if I use them to test how Nemesis compares to Porteus (and Arch is well engaged), when it starts to become Porteus Nemesis?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#213 by brokenman » 13 Jan 2016, 23:37

You can setup the package manager by running: setup-pman
After this you an use pman in the same way as pacman. The difference is it will make a Portues module at the end.
What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet.
You can put the details in the 'config' folder which is in the root of the install media. You can also run setup-network. If you boot into a GUI then networkmanager should be in the tray and you can just use that to connect.

Your other points I will implement. Thanks.

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#214 by datruche » 14 Jan 2016, 00:16

Ok!
I'll check setup-pman on next boot. Someone knows which page it's on
I'd like to know what it does exactly, e.g. does it take care of the whole sequence (pacman-keyring.., mirrors' choice)? ANd if choosing the mirrors for us, what's the backend (near/speedy *and* up-to-date mirrors are a key point when running Arch)

Some more feedback :

* Networkmanager was not part of the Tray icons. Saw Menu, minimise, ... keyboard layout and logout.
* What about displaying the distro's short 'Notes to start' (bare minimum to start) on gui/tty login?
* A text browser like elinks soulhd be included in base Nemesis
* Cheatcodes:
- kmap: flag's in the Tray; keymap still in qwerty (gui & tty). `loadkeys` and `setxkmap` run fine so not a big deal atm for testers.
- Starting with Graphics I have yet to get Nemesis save changes between upon reboot. Used the 'changes=EXIT:/path/to/change-folder' cheatcode. Do you guys know where to look for up-to-date cheatcodes?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#215 by brokenman » 14 Jan 2016, 03:29

I'd like to know what it does exactly
It takes care of updating database, it asks you which mirror you prefer, it updates ca-trust and initiates pacman keyrings then updates pacman database.

* Networkmanager was not part of the Tray icons. Saw Menu, minimise, ... keyboard layout and logout.
Did you boot into graphical mode or start from runlevel 3 using startx?

* What about displaying the distro's short 'Notes to start' (bare minimum to start) on gui/tty login?
We will eventually have a first run wizard.

* A text browser like elinks soulhd be included in base Nemesis
lynx. This is required for some of the scripts so it ships as default.

* Cheatcodes:
Do you guys know where to look for up-to-date cheatcodes?
I haven't really gone through and tested all the cheatcodes as yet. changes= does work.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#216 by brokenman » 21 Jan 2016, 00:03

Thanks Wread. If you could you send me a list of /var/log/packages for 003-kde5 it would be much appreciated.
Any progress on this yet Wread?

EDIT:
Ok I went ahead. After a day of head scratching, I have kde5 booting here but I could really use your expertise with it here Wread. Tips on any pitfalls you may have encountered (especially graphics related) would be appreciated.

aus9

Post#217 by aus9 » 22 Jan 2016, 11:57

datruche
What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet. Maybe netctl with wpa_supplicant? it has `wifi-menu` (ncurses) and weight 720 KiB total.
why don't you reply to my tutorial if you have wireless issues, but I have no idea if you went to Nemesis forum to read the tutorials there?
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=5337

aus9

Post#218 by aus9 » 22 Jan 2016, 12:06

killermenpl wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't. I'm just curious what are the benefits of changing to Arch. For me it's just more work to get to where Slackware Porteus is right now.

I've noticed the new package manager, but I don't think it would be that difficult to make a new package manager for Porteus that would have the same features (downloading packages and automatically converting to .xzm)

Again, I'm not hating Nemesis, I just don't see the point of it.
(mod action) removed post from Nemesis forum as this seems the most relevant thread.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#219 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2016, 21:48

What about wireless connection as there's not even a way to connect wireless yet
Why not use the config file in the root of the (Nemesis) installation. Putting your details in there will give you an automatic internet connection upon boot. You can also open a console and run: nmtui-connect which gives you a graphical (ncurses) wireless connection option.

jessidvelez
Ronin
Ronin
Distribution: 3.1

Post#220 by jessidvelez » 24 Jan 2016, 02:33

Hello, guys. I love Porteus since the very first moment I saw it running in my very old laptop. The concept of modules is awesome. This activate/deactivate posibility is great. Perhaps this is not the correct place for my comments and questions. I come from windows, and unfortunately from Ubuntu (well, Ubuntu used to be very cool in the old days). I have tried distros like puppy and slitaz, but Porteus.... well Porteus is, by far, the best one.

I thought I knew something about Linux, but reading about systemd, I realize that nothing more away from the truth. I would like to ask some questions:
1. What would it represent for Porteus to include systemd?
2. Will Porteus last longer to boot?
3. The concept of modules will be forgotten?
4. Will it behave like nasty modern Ubuntu?

And finally (this is, perhaps, the most out of place questions)
5. The modules of Porteus are based in which concept? I know how to modify them, use them and create them. But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?

Thanks a lot.

fullmoonremix

Post#221 by fullmoonremix » 24 Jan 2016, 12:47

Salutations... :good:

Porteus doesn't use systemd. :unknown:

Best Regards... :beer:

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#222 by Bogomips » 24 Jan 2016, 14:35

jessidvelez wrote: And finally (this is, perhaps, the most out of place questions)
5. The modules of Porteus are based in which concept? I know how to modify them, use them and create them. But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?
Conception
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#223 by brokenman » 24 Jan 2016, 21:13

But what is there beneath them? Some kind of file system?
Modules are a squashfs file system container. You can mount them to a loopback to check them out.

mkdir /mnt/module
mount -o loop /path/to/module.xzm /mnt/module

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#224 by Bogomips » 24 Jan 2016, 22:19

^ It's something I'm noticing lately. Wonder if it is Linux or Porteus becoming so smart. :roll:

guest@porteus:~$ mkdir x
guest@porteus:~$ mount /mnt/sda1/mods/Oku_230814.xzm   x
mount: only root can do that
guest@porteus:~$ sudo mount /mnt/sda1/mods/Oku_230814.xzm   x
mount: warning: x seems to be mounted read-only.
guest@porteus:~$ ls x
etc/  lib/  usr/  var/
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

datruche
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#225 by datruche » 25 Jan 2016, 01:56

@aus9, @Brokenman thanks for taking notice. My little goal was to report that I found no way to set-up the Wi-Fi upon booting Nemesis on the same netbook where Porteus 3.1 made it a brainless detail. I report further on your tutorial post

@aus9: First and upmost because I'd never thought Nemesis would be a Porteus *derivatives* subforum. Now that I've read some of this thread *and* hav been using Nemesis extensively for a couple of weeks it makes sense. But who would look for information/topics on the next distro release/upgrade under "derivatives"?