Wishlist for next porteus (after P3.1)

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Re: Wishlist for next porteus (after P3.1)

Post#16 by Blaze » 04 Aug 2015, 19:43

Anybody knows when will be out a new version of Slackware?
BTW Slackware is 22 years :beer:
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#17 by Ed_P » 05 Aug 2015, 13:30

Ed_P wrote:Can Porteus check the file format it is booted from and see if a save.dat file is allocated when it boots, probably.
Doubt removed, it can definitely be done.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3801&start=30#p28472
BOOTDEV=`grep -A1 "Booting" /var/log/porteus-livedbg|tail -n1|sed 's^//^/^g'`
DEV=/dev/${BOOTDEV:5}
TYPE=`grep "$DEV" /var/log/porteus-livedbg`
TYPE=${TYPE: -7}
echo Boot device format: $TYPE
CHANGES=`grep -A1 "Porteus data" /var/log/porteus-livedbg|tail -n1|sed 's^//^/^g'`
CHEATCODE=`grep -i "changes=" /proc/cmdline`

if [ ! "${TYPE:1:4}" == "vfat" ]; then
  if [ ! "${TYPE:1:4}" == "ntfs" ]; then
    echo Changes will be saved.
    exit
  fi
fi

if [ "$CHEATCODE" == "" ]; then
  echo Changes will not be saved.
  echo To save changes create a save.dat file using Porteus Savefile Manager.
  exit
fi

echo Changes being saved to a save.dat file.
SAVEDAT=`grep -A1 "save.dat" /var/log/porteus-livedbg|tail -n1|sed 's^//^/^g'`
if [ ! "${SAVEDAT:0:9}" == "$BOOTDEV" ]; then
  echo save.dat file not on device booted.
fi
echo ${SAVEDAT:9:-8}

#cat /var/log/porteus-livedbg

exit
:good:

As for next release:

Fix the suspend function when laptop/netbook's lid is closed. It doesn't work in 3.1's kernel. See
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... =30#p31112

Keep ISOMaster app (it's how I fixed the above problem)
Keep TigerVNC (I use it)
Keep GParted (I use it)

Interface Porteus Savefile Manager and the porteus.cfg file as sedstar suggested.
Ed

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#18 by francois » 19 Sep 2015, 00:22

We should provide an archlinux flavor stock, aside the different desktop proposition. Hamza porteus builder would offer one or more choices of desktop depending on the availability at next version. Thus working on stifiling work:
viewtopic.php?f=114&t=2386&start=210

This just to see if we could attrack more membership, writers and developpers.

A six month trial should be a good poll.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#19 by Hamza » 23 Sep 2015, 06:10

You want to have a package manager directly available on Porteus Desktop Builder ?

That doesn't sound very easy to implement...
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#20 by Rava » 24 Sep 2015, 01:02

Seva wrote:1. make dl.porteus.org the official porteus repository and allow xzm module creators to publish their modules there
I don't know if there was a reply on that part in here, I currently have not the time to read all posts in this thread,

Anyhow, that was addressed already (not by me, I write this post just by what I recall from memory, too lazy and too tired trying to find the posts about the matter from others; could have been fanthom and brokenman who made the other replies to similar suggestions)

TL;DR:
Wanting users to be able to upload user-made modules needs complex and thought-out mandatory rules.
While these rules make sure that the modules crated have a high quality
it also makes it hard for new users, or users new to creating modules to make his/her first module that follows these rules.

Seva, I try to show you that, when wanting a standardized and high module quality (as we as community want that very much), even when there are several approached to meet that goal, every approach has its downsize, and severe downsized at times.

I hope I managed to explain the matter good enough to you so that you understand why this is a complex and complicated matter with no easy solution. [When you can think of a 3rd way, aside from the ones I mention below that would secure a high module quality and still makes it easy for users to crate these modules, without having a workload put on the main crew of Porteus, please tell us.]

You already know that our OS is a fork from Slax. In the older days of slack, everyone could create and publish modules on the main Slax module "repository"

Partly that sounds great, since it makes it easy for users to get their modules "published", but it has a downsize: there is no control about the quality and stability of all these modules, the user who created them is the only one who reviewed his own module, and the minds of most of us tend to overlook issues or possible issues in our own work we just finished...

Another approach to solve such issues is creating complex and strict rules of how-to-create modules like Tiny Core Linux does, The plus size: The modules all share a high quality standard by default. The flipside: For new users to the Live OS, or for long time users but first time module creators it can be very bothersome to crate modules that follow all the needed rules.

Like, I wanted to set up TinyCore x86-64 with some of my wanted and needed programs just to see how it can be used on a daily basis and with the same goal of productivity than Porteus XFCe, as in: palemoon, viewnior, geany, mtpaint.
Now, dunno about geany, but last I checked (some weeks ago) there is no TinyCore module for palemoon or viewnior, dunno about mtpaint.

And even for someone like me who created dozens (maybe even approx a hundred? Honestly, I dunno, but when I also count the settings and firefox/palemoon and flash update modules I create on a regular basis for myself, at least 100 is sure a realistic number) of Slax, Slax remix and Porteus modules I was not able to create even one single module, since I not wanted to just make it for myself put share it with the TC community. But the rules needed to follow creating TC modules kinda .... killed that. AT the time I was stressed with the workload in RL (I am still under heavy load from RL, that is, and for the time being there is not a chance in sight... for now.)

I hope you can see that, by the need of having the modules on the official Porteus dl repo of certified and high quality there are not many rules to follow.

And another downsize to the way TincCore does that. Even when a poll in our community would agree to use the same approach as TC, it would not work to just copy verbatim the rules that TC uses for its own modules. Sure, they are compatible, you can activate TC modules in Porteus, since both use the same underlying technique and compression, the OS itself still differs a lot. TC is much more minimal than Porteus, which is the reason it is so small and so fast, but also a reason why some users who want their known KDE, or Mate, or XFCe have issues with TC...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Post#21 by Payoon » 04 Oct 2015, 13:46

My simple wish for Porteus beyond 3.1: Chrome or Chromium after 41.xxx.xxx that I can use as root. It works in Puppy Linux with chromium 45.xxx.xxx, but when I take the same chromium , extract the pet, add the missing libraries and convert to a module I get error messages when starting ( That bad NaCl helper thing) (adding --user-data-dir to last line of chomium or chrome isn't enough). But that it is possible to run as root is sure, because it runs in Puppy Slacko. I have tried long time to get used to Firefox, but it is slow and the print function isn't a match for Chrome.

So long
Payoon

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#22 by brokenman » 04 Oct 2015, 14:38

@Payoon I will make it so.

Regarding the user repositories, users are free and welcome to create somewhere to upload and share their own modules. At the moment we have the modules section but it is not clean since a module created under KDE may not work under XFCE etc. I started a project some time ago asking users to create modules and we would have an official way to generate more modules and search them through porteus .... only one or two people created modules. Project dead.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by francois » 04 Oct 2015, 14:54

@payoon:
As of the 1rst of october Alien bob provided chromium 45, see:
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/chromium/

http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/

@brokenman:
Could it be added to usm?

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#24 by francois » 04 Oct 2015, 16:42

I have downloaded alien bob chromium. Started it. The problem is with sandbox:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=196353

The solution is to start chromium 45 with:

chromium --no-sandbox --user-data-dir
It works just fine.

Though you get this error message:

You are using an unsupported command flag: --no sandbox. Stability and security will suffer.
And security will suffer according to the logic under the use of sandbox. More on sandbox and security under linux:
http://www.insanitybit.com/2013/04/29/e ... x-sandbox/

With google-chrome the sandbox issue did not seem to be there.

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Post#25 by Payoon » 04 Oct 2015, 18:40

Hi folks,
thanks for your reply. I knew that when turning off the sandbox I could run chrome as root, but I was afraid to do so because of the security. (Although as root in www maybe also dangerous, but I use "always fresh" mode) . Don't know wether the sandbox is really necessary. Anyway I will modify the chromium file in /usr/bin to go without sandbox, make a new module and then play for a while. Thanks again.

Payoon

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#26 by francois » 04 Oct 2015, 19:44

@payoon:
Starting another thread on the topic: howto google-chrome current:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=5074

Though it does not resolve the security issues.

Like you, I have always been running google-chrome with --user-data-dir. I never had problem. But the security issues where there as it seems.

bartosh44
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Proteus

Post#27 by bartosh44 » 06 Oct 2015, 05:50

- easy adding bluetooth mouse (f.e. in asus netbooks - bluetooth integrated on board). Adding it manually is too hard for me.

meisthfox
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus-XFCE-v3.0-x86_64

Post#28 by meisthfox » 08 Oct 2015, 20:40

This is my suggestion for KDE desktop : After opening the Kickoff Application Launcher, when u hover over “Applications” u can see the different categories. Then u should be able to hover over the different categories & have all the apps. displayed without clicking. That way u could see all the apps. in all the categories quickly.