Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

Post#46 by brokenman » 17 May 2011, 16:34

I am also dual booting win7 and Porteus.

Hibernate works OK but for me it is non usable.

You will need to go into the control center/power settings/ACPI config and enable standby, hibernate and suspend. You will need a swap partition preferably bigger than your current RAM. You will need to boot with the resume=/dev/sdxy boot code.

Using the hibernate under standard Porteus did not work for me. It just blanked and locked the screen. Injecting into /sys/power/state does work for me.

echo -n disk >/sys/power/state

The problem with this (for me) is that the Porteus boot time is much faster than resuming from a disk record of the state of the system at hibernation time. Unless you have lots of stuff open and have to leave in a hurry, hibernation is the long way around. This is a compliment to Fanthom's bott time tweaks of porteus.

If you want to suspend to RAM you can use

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state
but i have not thoroughly tested this thoroughly yet.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Default folder: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

Post#47 by rnport » 17 May 2011, 17:35

Thanks for info on suspend and hibernate.

I recently changed from v09 to v1.0-rc1. I had to remove earlier porteus folder to replace with current one. Is it possible that the folder can be named by the users rather than 'porteus' only. An advantage would be that users can have both v09 and v1.0 versions. Then there will be no need to uninstall previous version which may come in handy in case of failure of new installation. The folder name can be picked up by system from grub entries of kernel and initrd.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#48 by Ahau » 17 May 2011, 18:45

Yes, it is absolutely possible to do this. I usually have between three and five versions of porteus, plus slitaz, on one partition of my flash drive. I thought I already made a HOWTO for this, but I can't seem to find it!

Rather than renaming the /porteus folder, I put it inside another folder and use the from_dir cheatcode. Here's an example directory setup :

/
/boot/
/32/
/32/boot/
/32/porteus/
/32RC1/
/32RC1/boot/
/32RC1/porteus/
/64/
/64/boot/
/64/porteus/

the 32, 32RC1, etc., folder names are arbitrary, but will need to be referenced later. The /boot/ folder is needed to hold the main porteus.cfg file and the other bootloader files, like the splash image. It's a copy of the /boot/ folder from any of the ISO's. You just need to remember to configure the porteus.cfg file in the /boot/ (root boot) folder, as changes to the ones inside /32/boot/, /32RC1/boot/, etc won't have any affect.

You still need to have a boot folder in each of the subdirectories (32, 32RC1 and 64), because each version needs its own kernel and initrd, and those live in their boot folders. So, extract both directories from the ISO's to their respective subfolders.

Now, you just need to edit your /boot/porteus.cfg to include references to each porteus inside their subdirectory, using the from_dir and pointing the bootloader to the kernel and initrd inside the subdirectory:

Code: Select all

LABEL xconf
MENU LABEL 32-bit KDE
KERNEL /32/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/32/boot/initrd.lz from_dir=32 vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL xconf
MENU LABEL 32-bit KDE RC1
KERNEL /32RC1/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/32RC1/boot/initrd.xz from_dir=32 vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL xconf
MENU LABEL 64-bit  KDE
KERNEL /64/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/64/boot/initrd.xz from_dir=64 vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;telinit~4
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT
ETA: Sorry for going off topic, brokenman :) I'll make this into a real HOWTO when I have a chance.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#49 by rnport » 18 May 2011, 01:05

Great. That solves the problem.

Posted after 12 minutes 11 seconds:
The control key (with mouse left-button click) is not working in konqueror for selection of multiple files in v1rc1-32bit on my computer. Is this a local problem ?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#50 by Ahau » 18 May 2011, 03:17

ahh, I found it. I was looking in the wrong forum. I'm off my game today!

http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=237

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#51 by Blaze » 18 May 2011, 07:12

I have downloaded a updated version of iso Porteus x86 RC1 from Porteus server.
When i boot up Porteus x86 RC1 - i have a black screen again.
In Xorg.log i have the same log

[   220.941] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers:
        NVIDIA Graphics Device
[   220.941] (++) using VT number 7
My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600

When i type a commands

xconf
startx
it work for me.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#52 by Ahau » 18 May 2011, 15:02

I'm not sure if this a bug, or if it's just that I don't know my way around a compiler...

I'm trying to compile a VIA driver for MasterSplinter's issue here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=484

I downloaded the driver, activated crippled sources, and modprobe'd the kernel configs. When I ran the configure script, I got this error:

configure: error: in `/root/Desktop/via-xserver-86a-50283_src/XServer':
configure: error: C preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details
in the config.log:

configure:6964: checking how to run the C preprocessor
configure:6995: gcc -E  conftest.c
In file included from /usr/include/bits/posix1_lim.h:157:0,
                 from /usr/include/limits.h:145,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/include-fixed/limits.h:169,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/include-fixed/syslimits.h:7,
                 from /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/4.5.2/include-fixed/limits.h:34,
                 from conftest.c:12:
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:39:26: fatal error: linux/limits.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
/usr/include/bits/local_lim.h has the following lines:

/* The kernel sources contain a file with all the needed information.  */
#include <linux/limits.h>
there's no linux/limits.h in the /usr/include/bits/ directory, but limits.h is in crippled sources, at /usr/src/linux/include/linux

So, I modified /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h to include /usr/src/linux/include/linux/local_lim.h

After that, configure completes, but make fails:

In file included from /usr/include/errno.h:36:0,
                 from via_include.h:43,
                 from via_driver.h:42,
                 from via_common.h:29,
                 from via_common.c:32:
/usr/include/bits/errno.h:25:26: fatal error: linux/errno.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Again, I modified /usr/include/bits/errno.h to point to /usr/src/linux/include/linux/errno.h, but then that file wanted to include asm/errno.h, which I couldn't located.

Am I just nuts here, or are the header files pointing to the wrong place? Are some symlinks missing?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#53 by brokenman » 18 May 2011, 16:49

I downloaded the driver, activated crippled sources.
You will also need the kernel headers module for rc1. The kernel headers contain: /usr/include/linux/limits.h

I also had troubles compiling some things under rc1. The kernel headers are created via a script that i obtained elsewhere. I may have to go through it i think. Please try again with the kernel headers and let me know how it goes. rc2 has a different kernel and shouldn't be too far away now.

Perhaps someone can compile an NVIDIA driver? I have no NVIDIA machines here.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#54 by Ahau » 18 May 2011, 17:06

*doh!*

I had a feeling it was my own ignorance that was getting in my way ;)

I'll d/l the header module and give it another shot, and report back here with my results. This will find its way into the FAQ for compiling drivers.

Thanks!

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#55 by ponce » 18 May 2011, 19:03

Jay, I think you better stay with the stock package of headers in 13.37 because glibc is built on those, alien bob explains it on his kernel building guide.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#56 by beny » 18 May 2011, 20:09

hi brokenman the nvidia driver you can downlod it in the usual place of mediafire version 270.41.06-porteus-v1-i486.xzm

Posted after 8 minutes 37 seconds:
and,can be useful to use the kernelpkg for make a module of kernel header,only a hint

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#57 by wread » 19 May 2011, 01:47

Hola brokenman!
rc1 is Fine Bussines! With a couple of additional tweaks it will be just perfect!

I am testing first with xfs: no more crashes. The extract-compress konsole-tools work ok, now, just the "one click" versions are still ending too soon. Google-Earth doesn't get the fonts through, despite new gtk; we will keep trying.

The only thing I have changed is adding a .bashrc to 004-kde/root/ to get the right prompts, colors, etc. in the konsole.

Regards

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Porteus Community never sleeps!
"Geshmacksache", sagte der Affe, als er in die Seife biss.....
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

lzm2xzm with mouse: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

Post#58 by rnport » 19 May 2011, 03:43

On v1-rc1, I tried to convert lzm to xzm by right clicking and choosing 'convert to xzm'. It gives a message that it is extracting.. and then another konqueror window in same folder opens up and there is no xzm module. I have to convert from command line with lzm2xzm which works very well. Is this a local problem?

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#59 by Ahau » 19 May 2011, 12:29

Thanks again, brokenman. I d/l'd the kernel headers and installed. Got through the configure without errors, and make got a little further. Still hung up on a missing header, though:

libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -O2 -fvisibility=hidden -I/usr/include/xorg -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -DXFree86LOADER -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/X11/dri -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/include/X11/extensions -I.. -I. -O2 -MT via_common.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/via_common.Tpo -c via_common.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/via_common.o
In file included from via_driver.h:42:0,
                 from via_common.h:29,
                 from via_common.c:32:
via_include.h:50:27: fatal error: xf86Resources.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
xf86Resources.h looks like it used to be in the xorg-server package (slackware 13, xorg-server 1.6.3), but newer versions don't have it. oy veh.

Posted after 6 hours 23 minutes 17 seconds:
Re: lzm2xzm with mouse: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing
@rnport, I just tested a couple modules. One was a sq4.lzm module that someone had made for slax-remix V08, another was an .lzm file from the slax repo.

On the sq4.lzm file, I got a message stating that it was not a squashfs3 file. The .lzm converted fine. Do you know what version of slax/slax-remix this module was for, and if you post a link, I'll test that specific module on my machine.

Thanks!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#60 by brokenman » 19 May 2011, 14:53

headers in 13.37 because glibc is built on those
Thanks ponce. I think you're right, this would explain the errors Ahau was getting also.

hi brokenman the nvidia driver you can downlod it in the usual place of mediafire version 270.41.06-porteus-v1-i486.xzm
Thanks a ton Beny ... but where is this 'usual place of mediafire'?

The only thing I have changed is adding a .bashrc
Wread there should already be a .bashrc containing other stuff aswell. Well there is in rc2.

On v1-rc1, I tried to convert lzm to xzm by right clicking and choosing 'convert to xzm'.
Thank you i will double check the script that this calls. /opt/porteus-scripts/konqueror

Thanks again, brokenman. I d/l'd the kernel headers and installed.
Please use the offical headers from slackware repo ... i will track them down and use for rc2. Ponce is right (of course), this will get rid of this header problem. We are using a later kernel but glibc was compiled against an older kernel. This will cause problems.