Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

Post#31 by francois » 12 May 2011, 03:04

Trying to fix keyboard settings for french canadian by inserting cf into appropriate files, see:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php? ... oard#p3100

Following fanthom's procedure- update kbd settings for both: KDE and LXDE (settings are stored in ~/.kde3/share/config/kxkbrc and ~/.config/autostart/xkb.desktop)

I get an error message. Were can I get the canadian multilingual keyboard code?

Posted after 5 hours 16 minutes 38 seconds:
Finally, everything is fine. The cf (canadian french code does not work no more), you have to use ca instead, and the french accents are there within the american keyboard. No more cecessionist pretention for us quebecers. This must be due to what is called here `la loi de la clarté`. :cry:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#32 by ponce » 13 May 2011, 05:42

I'll cut and paste from the 64bit thread for a possible addition for 32bit too

- - - - -
ponce wrote:
fanthom wrote:"In pcman file manager if i choose open current folder as root, i get this message: Failed to execute child process "gksu" (No such file or directory)"
will check it as well...
to fix that we need gksu-polkit (with his dependencies, vala and libgee): I prepared a slackbuild and I'm testing it now, seems to work fine for using it instead of the original gksu, that is not the best solution in a policykit environment.
I'll post the three packages soon :)
here they are

http://ponce.cc/testing/lxde-addons/gksu-polkit/

after install you need also to change /etc/xdg/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf and ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE/pcmanfm.conf (if present) to have

Code: Select all

su_cmd=gksu-polkit %s
instead of

Code: Select all

su_cmd=gksu '%s'
(also reachable through gui in pcmanfm advanced preferences)

obviously, this can be used also to launch other commands as root through policykit ;)

cest73
White ninja
White ninja

Post#33 by cest73 » 13 May 2011, 08:19

brokenman wrote: @cest73
to boot the (excellent) RC1 on my Gecko, I need to add noacpi to the boot line?
is there APM support?

Yes there is APM support as a kernel MODULE. Please also try passing apm=on to kernel. You may also have to install a user level application like apmd from slackware:
http://mirrors.xmission.com/slackware/s ... ce/a/apmd/
Note that the APM support is almost completely disabled for machines with more than one CPU. I have also seen many a bios where you had to disable ACPI and could not have ACPI/APM both enabled. Some machines just won't have compliant bioses. If the machine doesn't have a removable battery then there is no point using APM.
IMHO: leave ACPI/APM -asis-?
_MAYBE_ add the apmd, if not, i can add it later (no problem) to the customized Gecko-porteus
I will provide the dmesg to the other thread,in case You care to automate this (ever).
:good:

RE: syslinux RC1
anyone do check on the USB-flash boot thing?

Best regards,
Stevan C.
Murphy law rules! :(

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#34 by fanthom » 13 May 2011, 17:01

@brokenman
1) i have prepared syslinux-4.04 for i586. i cant believe that anybody with i486 is using porteus as RAM amount would be too small. i would consider bumping kernel arch to i586 and enable PAE by default as some users has 4GB of ram and still dont want to use 64bits (probably prefer Trinity over KDE4, or maybe due to lack of 64bit native apps).
up to you.
2) fixed aufs hang with activation of kuickshow under LXDE (activate script now searches recursively in /usr/share/applications for *.desktop files and update lxpanel respectively)
3) suggestions:
003-lxde is short of gvfs package - that's why trash is not working. this package needs other deps not included in porteus so i would rebuilt it on Porteus (only 001 + 002 + 003 + devel were acitvated) with ponce's slackbuild:
http://cgit.ponce.cc/slackbuilds/plain/system/
- librsvg could be moved to 002-xorg as kde (other desktops) may need it as well
- wicd starts correctly when you run from terminal: wicd-gtk & . maybe you could add it to the autostart? dont understand why it starts automatically in 64 bits and not in 32
- config files in /home/guest and /root differs. anyway i would recommend copying these from 64bits.
006-koffice has /usr/include/* files not moved to devel package
007-devel: can't find kde headers?
008-firefox requires libnotify. it's a small package so could be added to 002-xorg (or where you want it).

made some other updates to porteus scripts so will try to send you all new stuff today or tomorrow.

@Blaze
"After reboot ejecting of CD does not work."
tested in Vbox and is ok here. did you use copy2ram cheatcode? make sure that you dont use 'noeject' cheatcode

@Falcony
/boot folder is included in 001-core. i have rewritten /boot/pxelinux.cfg/start so it's possible to start it manually from /mnt/sdXy and not /boot (useful in case of using copy2ram)
Thanks a lot for suggestion.

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#35 by Blaze » 13 May 2011, 17:09

fanthom, i don't used cheatcodes. I tested it in LiveCD (Kde mode)
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

zer0-G
White ninja
White ninja

Post#36 by zer0-G » 13 May 2011, 19:41

Thanks for the excelent V1.0rc1...

I currently remove the (Trinity) 004-KDE, 005-kdeapps and 006-koffice as I like the LXDE experience. The one thing that is missing is mplayer. Is it possible to get Fanthoms mplayer with VDPAU & XVBA stuff separated from the KDE modules?

When I do removepkg for kde applications in 004 and 005 and keep only the neccessary mplayer files it still leaves alot of KDE residue.

Thanks...

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#37 by francois » 13 May 2011, 19:52

:) forget about this one.

Thanks.
Last edited by francois on 15 May 2011, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#38 by fanthom » 13 May 2011, 22:46

@Blaze
my apologize - you are absolutely right.
fixed that now :)

@brokenman
- i have updated all libs/utils in initrd, it has even smaller size now :)
- fixed wicd start in lxde (added shortcut in ~/.config/autostart). will send you all LXDE config files ported from 64bits so pls dont bother with it.
- should i separate STOP/REFRESH in firefox as suggested by francois?

EDIT:
shortcut in ~/.config/autostart works great for LXDE but creates second instance of wicd in KDE :(
ehhh - not easy life with 32bits :)
will try to find something else....

EDIT2:\\
sorted :)
i have added "OnlyShowIn=LXDE" string to wicd.desktop in autostart and now KDE ignores it (it's not double started anymore).
Ahau - i have added the same string to ~/.config/autostart/xkb.desktop so kdb settings does not conflict between KDE/LXDE anymore.
Please remember to remove FAQ question when 1.0 is out :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#39 by rnport » 16 May 2011, 11:31

I installed porteus v1-rc1 on HP-mini netbook. It worked well with following few glitches:

1. dragging with left button not working
2. right button not working at all
3. konqueror does not have folder listing in details mode (no icon for that)
4. save not possible in changes folder if partition is NTFS

Most things including audio, video, module conversion etc worked well.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#40 by brokenman » 16 May 2011, 13:40

zer0-G
When I do removepkg for kde applications in 004 and 005 and keep only the neccessary mplayer files it still leaves alot of KDE residue.
Try using this extpkg script to extract mplayer.

Fanthom
OnlyShowIn=LXDE
heh. Thanks, i had no idea the string existed!h

rnport
1. dragging with left button not working
I believe your netbook uses the synaptics touchpad? If so please try using synclient to change settings. Most notably the TapButton settings. I use a startup script to adjust the pressure of my touchpad and add a right click to top right corner of pad sensor:
synclient TapButton3=3 RTCornerButton=3
synclient FingerHigh=42

2. right button not working at all
See above explanation

3. konqueror does not have folder listing in details mode (no icon for that)
Not entirely sure what you mean by this.

4. save not possible in changes folder if partition is NTFS
Thanks. Will give this a test.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#41 by Ahau » 16 May 2011, 13:55

I think the saved changes issue is due to the fact that posixovl was eliminated in favor of forcing users with windows-formatted devices to use .dat containers. It's a little more trouble up front, but way less trouble than constantly having your saved changes corrupted.

rnport, if this is your problem, try running the porteus save.dat manager from the menu, to create a .dat container to save your changes, then edit your APPEND line in /boot/porteus.cfg to add changes=/path/to/yoursave.dat
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#42 by rnport » 16 May 2011, 15:59

I am happy to use dat container, but the default option for changes in boot cfg file is porteus folder. When porteus was not able to write, it created a save.dat file with my input regarding the size.

Konqueror generally has two icon-buttons on top bar to see files as icons or in details view. The detail view icon is missing. I can still see the contents of folder in details view by going through view menu, but an icon-button comes in very handy to do file management faster.

Posted after 54 minutes 20 seconds:
Another issue is while converting lzm to xzm. If I double click on lzm module, it converts well to xzm; but then it automatically goes on to activate the module and that is taking really long time (both on netbook and on desktop). Possibly it should not automatically activate newly created module; users may need to put them in modules folder rather than activate them immediately.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#43 by Blaze » 16 May 2011, 20:07

brokenman, copy this image (kside.png)
to /usr/share/apps/kicker/pics/
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#44 by brokenman » 16 May 2011, 23:31

Users may need to put them in modules folder rather than activate them immediately.
Yep no problem. This is the second request NOT to autoactivate. My logic behind this was that if someone is double clicking on a module, they would normally expect it to be activated as that is the default behaviour. The modtools could be used to convert a module (or lzm2xzm from console) either singularly or by the dozen.

I will make the change so that the module is not activated.

Thanks Blaze, will put this in now, although i would prefer a cleaner text. One that looks 'cut in' to the silver color. A kind of etched in effect. No problem if you want this one instead, it kind of looks like water. :)
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

rnport
Black ninja
Black ninja

Suspend & Hibernate: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86 ready for testing

Post#45 by rnport » 17 May 2011, 01:41

I am dual booting into porteus v1rc1-32bit frugal install and win7 thru grub. What exactly should I expect with suspend and hibernate ? I do not want to try it without knowing that it is safe in this situation.