Objective of Porteus?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Objective of Porteus?

Post#16 by Rava » 21 Apr 2011, 21:49

@Hamza:
Could not have said it better...

When it boots without a problem, that is.

I remember the thread with the post of fanthom (I think it was him) trying to create a Slax Remix CD for booting on kin's PCs to show how Linux works and for some reason some hardware was not willing to cooperate...

But even when a user gets into trouble, he has the videos, docs, faq, forum, and maybe one day also a wiki...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#17 by Hamza » 21 Apr 2011, 21:55

But even when a user gets into trouble, he has the videos, docs, faq, forum, and maybe one day also a wiki...
Maybe , I'll implement a Wiki if the Admins are agree.

In my point of view , we don't need any wiki now , we have a lot of resources very useful in the main website ;)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#18 by Rava » 21 Apr 2011, 21:59

Hamza wrote:In my point of view , we don't need any wiki now , we have a lot of resources very useful in the main website ;)
Maybe I am just "wikiphile".

I like the easy way to edit the pages and make easily long and very long documents... Just my 2 cents...
For now I agree that the documents are enough, but maybe when our community grows we also can use a wiki...

At least I would volunteer with adding stufgf to the wiki, then. :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#19 by Hamza » 21 Apr 2011, 22:00

For now I agree that the documents are enough, but maybe when our community grows we also can use a wiki..
I agree with you!
NjVFQzY2Rg==

agreimann
Samurai
Samurai

Post#20 by agreimann » 21 Apr 2011, 22:11

@ Rava, I will gladly write that we and Slax were the first Linux Live distributions of their kind! (We know Tomas M built the Linux Live scripts--we have the proof!)

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#21 by Rava » 21 Apr 2011, 23:06

agreimann wrote:@ Rava, I will gladly write that we and Slax were the first Linux Live distributions of their kind! (We know Tomas M built the Linux Live scripts--we have the proof!)
What exactly means " Linux Live distributions of their kind".

Sure, some Live Linux (what is the plural of Linux anyway?) use these, but others are kids of Knoppix...

Dunno which one was there first, but the live-linux scripts are awesome in itself, especially when you create the modules in the Slax and Porteus style, aka not as usr.module , bin.module, sbin.module, usr.module ... but as kernel. core. xorg, et cetera. :Yahoo!:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

82issa
DOC Team
DOC Team

Post#22 by 82issa » 22 Apr 2011, 00:23

With a road-map it would make it much easier for people to hop on and help develop/debate different aspects of Porteus. Me personally I am gona try to hop on to the documentation team.
Sorry guys... I got to go. My girlfriend just casted "get your dirty ass into the shower" on me.
Oh and here is some naked grandpa pictures too.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#23 by Rava » 24 Apr 2011, 14:30

82issa wrote:With a road-map it would make it much easier for people to hop on and help develop/debate different aspects of Porteus.
You are sure right, and me would play with the "check out everything virtual terminal and terminal emulator" related.

Also, I do bash scripting.

And system hardening/security... :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

82issa
DOC Team
DOC Team

Post#24 by 82issa » 25 Apr 2011, 02:41

I like useing yakuake terminal with dvtm. absolutely gorgeous
Sorry guys... I got to go. My girlfriend just casted "get your dirty ass into the shower" on me.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#25 by brokenman » 02 May 2011, 13:34

Late in replying to this thread because of .... life.

I think the objectives at the moment are to get a reliable and stable version out that has as few bugs as possible. This is at least my goal as after converting to trinity i have been inundated with bugs. Trinity is still in development and unfortunately upstream is heading in a different direction which means Trinity will need to be compiled from source again once all bugs are gone. Compilation is being converted to 'cmake' and it will be some time before it is finished.

Once we have a reliable, bug free (somewhat), the assemblers will be able to focus more on other things like GUI's for certain functions and a package manager. After that ... in the long term we will review the direction we want to go in. It seems to me that our direction is to have a reliable, fast booting, live OS with a relatively small footprint. The end result should be something that any average computer user would be able download, install and get booting without any 'head scratching' moments.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

nucleus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#26 by nucleus » 04 May 2011, 04:25

To seperate from ubuntu, debian, and all the other distros, I think GUI is most important.

The perfect linux doesn't need a terminal anymore to get configured and used. All important settings and functions are accesible from within the window-manager. This begins with central permission-settings, touches on easy menu-customization and ends up with checkbox-toggled changes of most important config-files.
What is important and what ain't makes the OS' total impression.

All in all, this is just a bit hard work in programming. Most annoying on ubuntu is the absence of distribution-unique programs. It's not possible to control the system from the window-manager. Unlike Windows, MacOS, Android and others, changes and settings in most linux-distros are only possible from the command line. Therefore I say: "back to the keyboard to write GUIs".

The lack of usability also is the problem of choosing the window-manager. KDE and Gnome have the most features but are slow and heavy. At the end there is always the same problem: lightweight and useless or feature-rich and heavy. The desktop is an operating systems face and for the user the center of action. Porteus needs manually adjusted GUI-components (like the packet-manager introduced in slax-classic) to make something better than other distros.

It's also a good idea to focus on simplicity. Unlike typical linux-distros, porteus is live, portable and because of the modules easy to use. Related to this, speed and footprint are the fundaments for easy usability. That makes KDE4 and Gnome become very bad choices. It doesn't matter that the main-stream goes in this direction!

The reason choosing one of the common-window-managers is lazyness. It's the only way getting a feature-rich window-manager without adding own functions. Please don't let porteus look like apple and feel like win95 on a 486 - overloaded and unfinished. There is no window manager out there, which is fast AND offers all needed features. The typical mistake of other distros is adding a window-manager bundled with everything to spare work. For this someone can go back to slackware which vomits over 4 GB on the harddisk during installation and is afterwards so slow that it's impossible to use. Porteus has special abilities and needs distribution-specific GUI-features.
When I post a thread then actually because:
-I wanna discuss WHY I do this or that
-I like linux so much and everything with open source
-I want it as complicate as possible
-I wanna recompile my kernel
-I adore other peoples computer-knowledge

82issa
DOC Team
DOC Team

Post#27 by 82issa » 04 May 2011, 09:21

I like the idea. I do think that this is an excellent point, that will stand us way out there if we can achieve this. I strongly disagree with you on this statement.
by nucleus » 04 May 2011, 00:25
The perfect linux doesn't need a terminal anymore to get configured and used.
As far as the rest of that paragraph. Good point.
As far as end user crap, sure it is true. Most linux users I know are terminal junkies. "I loose my high when I stop touching my keyboard."

nucleus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#28 by nucleus » 04 May 2011, 13:26

"End user crap" - why installing a desktop environment anyway?

I say: Kill the command-line!

It limits the ability to use the computer.

You don't realize how impossible this is, so:

KILL THE COMMAND LINE!

You avoid the need to actually create the OS.

It's radical. It's unpopular. It seems to be useless. :fool: Just do it:

KILL THE COMMAND LINE!

And when it's not completely dead, beat it up again. Until it is dead. It will come back nevertheless. Then kill it again! :x

82issa
DOC Team
DOC Team

Post#29 by 82issa » 04 May 2011, 14:31

Maybe it is time for you to rebuild your kernel.

Posted after 1 minute 7 seconds:
I like you. You got an odd sence of humor.

nucleus
White ninja
White ninja

Post#30 by nucleus » 05 May 2011, 17:07

Thank you. Hope you find the right part humourous.