Changes to development and forum. Moderators needed.

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Changes to development and forum. Moderators needed.

Post#31 by Rava » 02 May 2015, 16:17

Bogomips wrote:Board Index > Bottom of Page > Who is on Line > Global Moderators 8)
*insert Jean Luc Picard facepalm image here*

That's what I get for only looking at the above part of the site and almost never at it's bottom part. :crazy:

Thanks for the heads up! :friends:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

sunnysideofthesun
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: other

Post#32 by sunnysideofthesun » 31 Jul 2015, 15:55

Contrary to its title, this thread tells quite little about changes in development system. Main accent is on forum management.
Development is just removed from the eyesight of users community.
brokenman wrote:We would like to hand the forum over to the community so devs can focus more on fixing bugs and maintenance/development.
Really wise decision there. After elimination of all bugs and reaching stability Porteus gonna shine like a waxed floors.

I offer you some more ideas on development strategy.

The best motivation for progress is competition. Porteus needs some another live distro to be compared with.
If that was, for example, Puppy with its doggie logo, then Porteus would have to be a cat.
Dogs can't climb trees. Cats can climb trees. Do something opponent can't and you're in profit.

What naming system Porteus uses now? Version number? "See the numbers, taste the violence?" How about giving lively name to live distro?
So you could name next release of Porteus "Muscular Cat"!
I already imagine this cat working in gym accompanied by "Pump Up The Jam" by Technotronic. If someone doesn't know this tune, take a look https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI
But I'm sure most of you do.

No, wait. While pronouncing "Muscular Cat" one would break tongue. It's better to use some rhythmically sounding analog.
Since Ubuntu is bigger distro, Porteus could borrow some experience. What do we have there?
Ubuntu Development Code Names
A "Funky Fairy" naming system.
Oh, I know! Cat is a puss, right? "Pumped Pussy" sounds good and, besides, starts from the same letter as Porteus.

Maybe Ubuntu can share some other useful stuff. Like periods of new releases for example.
On the same Ubuntu page I see following conversation:
lifeless: how long before we make a first release?
sabdfl: it would need to be punchy. six months max.
lifeless: six months! thats not a lot of time for polish.
Is six months a big period for Porteus? We need to ask some polish. Emmanuel Olisadebe is polish, but I don't know about his current whereabouts. Any other polish on this forum?

With new naming system done, you may want to decide on new appealing look for boot screen or for wallpaper, which will make new users want to stick with Porteus for longer time.
It would be better if pictures closely resembled current Porteus logo. Unfortunatelly, I myself must switch to other tasks right now, but there is community! I'd be grateful if you guys went to your favorite images search engine (google, bing, duckduckgo - whatever) and looked for some "pumped pussy" pictures.
Anybody can help. Even those who are taught by Slackware. Like when you are taught by shovel on how to dig Suez Canal. Nah, just kidding, you either learn it yourself or no tool will ever teach you how to use it. But, nevertheless, it's just a matter of learning kurwa.

Conclusion: with brazilian waxing and this naming strategy Porteus can go places!

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#33 by Bogomips » 31 Jul 2015, 19:01

@sunnysideofthesun
If you think the community would consider calling the next release "pumped pussy", you would be off base. Porteus is maritime-themed, so Catfish would be nearer the mark. For instance, a nice maritime-themed name for the next release, somewhat romatic with a sense of adventure could be that of Jaques Cousteau's famous research vessel Calypso. :)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#34 by francois » 31 Jul 2015, 21:26

Porteus still has a development section.

The choice of music with the theme of the cat is somewhat lousy, in my opinion.Why not going for something exotic like Minou or minoune? :) If we keep on with the cat theme.

Proteus is a salamander:
Proteus is a god:

And as you can see the images work.

Maybe this post should be forked. What do you think bogomips?
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

sedstar
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: 32bit xfce

Post#35 by sedstar » 01 Aug 2015, 09:46

let me say right off? i'm not looking for the job! I dont think i am even REMOTELY qualified...

1) i am a linux newbie
2) i am a PORTEUS newbie

===============================

that said? I am a moderator on another forum. I was a regular member for YEARS of the largest reloading forum on the planet. We got so big and respected? we started seeing our site used as a "valid" citeable source for wikipedia entries on reloading and wildcat calibers! (we blushed, trust me, we didnt know we were considered "experts")

one day? POOF! it was all gone... owner of website vanished... by LUCK, i myself had wanted to learn how to set up a forum, and had (re)setup the reloadbench website on a small free website host. We used it every once in a while when the main site went down.

when the parent site died? I suddenly found myself, and my "backup site" had become THE site...for a good number of "refugees" who refused to let it die. About half the refugees split off and formed their own site? we survived THAT... now, we have finally shown growth. We finally have "meaningful growth" and new members are coming in almost daily.

====================================================

my thoughts in random order...

1) on MY site? its mostly "blinky star" members, IE... long time members. Most of them can answer MOST questions any newbie has. You probably have a lot of members that can answer a lot of questions... just maybe the "type of expertise" they can ofer is spread out over many members...

2) on MY site? I can think of 40 guys off the top of my head... that could handle day to day MODDING or heck, 20 of them easy could do what i do as ADMIN.

3) in MY site, i obviously dont know about here... on my site? i was a relative NEWB on out parent site... i was amazed that within several short years? i had people from all over the country, emailing me privately, asking my advice on highly technical benchrest reloading questions... I BLUSHED crimson, i hadnt realized i was becoming an "expert" or at least viewed as one.

probably 20 at least of my guys now? should probably be writing small articles for gun magazines, lol, based on the crap i see in gun rags nowadays. They would be more technically advanced and more engaging. YOUR "expertness" here? is likely spread out over many members...

====================================================

my assessment? or my idea? hmmm.....

consider you might be looking for more than ONE GUY for this job... you might consider naming 10 or even 20 people to this "job"... MOST owners of real life businesses, and MOST higher level managers? are simply amazed when they go on vacation? that the business just runs on its own with very little problems.

if you have set something "good" up here? most members here for a year or two? probably know what needs done and when... really, moving posts into the relevant categories isnt THAT technically demanding.

=================================================

just dont name anyone to the POST that has an attitude problem.

==============================

my mantra on leadership....

1) people who WANT or SEEK management positions? most of them probably shouldnt BE put in charge... wanting to be in charge is usually a bad desire. The BEST managers? They dont WANT it, and it is THRUST upon them. Not wanting to BE in charge, yet having the knowledge to do it? is usually the best combination. in my honest and humble opinion.

2) he who governs the least, governs the best. On MY site? no one "thinks" of me as the leader.... even though i am the owner and the main admin. Everyone knows me as a regular member on the parent site we came from. I STRIVE to never act like i am in charge of anything.

====================================

so.... my idea? thrust or appoint, 10 or 20 people into this "position"... name MOD or MODS "per category" as they are most knowledgeable and active in their category... you dont ASK for volunteers to lead, you "volunteer" THEM into it...

my 2 cents...

sedstar
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#36 by sedstar » 01 Aug 2015, 09:52

oopsie...

i didnt realize there were TWO MORE pages on this thread... you are kinda already doing what i suggested. apologies.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#37 by Bogomips » 01 Aug 2015, 11:22

francois wrote:Maybe this post should be forked. What do you think bogomips?
Would be clearer. 8)

@sedstar
Nice to see confirmation of our "leaders' " acumen. :Bravo:
Not with the gun lobby? =@
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

sedstar
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#38 by sedstar » 10 Aug 2015, 20:14

Not with the gun lobby? =@

lol... no, i'm not a lobbyist.

i have different... "lives", sort of. ONE life? I was and always will be... an academic.

I am also into target shooting, varmint hunting, and believe in a mans right to defend himself, his family, his work.

i used to be into fighting, as a fun hobby? but... the calendar is having its way with me, ha ha. A couple of injuries? have taught me that i am getting older, and that i cant roll around on the ground with big farm boys half my age anymore for fun, LMAO...

========================================================================

to me, this is a sort of academic site... science has no real place for religion, politics, or personal opinions on a lot of stuff.

FWIW? i'm not a big fan of "the wars" myself... i think we are running around, spending trillions of dollars kind of trying to swat wasps with sledgehammers... and i really dont think we are getting anythng accomplished.

I'd just as soon call the wars off, bring everyone home, and spend the trillions of dollars maybe reviving the space program? you know, put a monkey on mars or something... i think its a better use for all that time and money and manpower.

================================================

i realize a lot of countries dont belive in people owning guns, or, that they think my country is a troublemaker... scientists sort of have their own little world, and it cuts across all borders... computer people in general are more or less a part of this.

i'd just as soon not have any opinion on religion... politics... gun rights... because i'm a computer guy too.

===============================

christs throne, i had a couple of moslem friends that worked with me in the Mathematics Laboratory at my university?? They never hurt anything, of course they werent running around blowing stuff up either, LMAO... we were all computer programmers.

:beer:

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#39 by brokenman » 11 Aug 2015, 02:01

used to be into fighting, as a fun hobby? but... the calendar is having its way with me, ha ha.
I hear you there. This has been my passion since as long as I can remember. Now I can't afford to get my nose split or my ears scalloped. My back also pleads with me every day.

Did somebody really offer the name 'Pumped pussy' as a distro release? I think the hit rate would go up, but right not from the right crowds. :lol:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#40 by Bogomips » 11 Aug 2015, 13:39

^ And would it really be desirable for Porteus to carry an MCP brand? :roll:

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#41 by Rava » 20 Aug 2015, 23:23

I am so for expanding on the sea or waterside connections.

Like, an water / ocean related adjective compiled with a water related creature/plant.

Heck, even "stormy" or "rainy" would work as adjectives. Rainy is always water connected, and we know the oceans do have fierce storms.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Post#42 by jimwg » 25 Sep 2015, 13:44

Rava wrote:I am so for expanding on the sea or waterside connections.

Like, an water / ocean related adjective compiled with a water related creature/plant.

Heck, even "stormy" or "rainy" would work as adjectives. Rainy is always water connected, and we know the oceans do have fierce storms.

I'm a late lost waif in this topic forest, but as to a fitting term for Porteus, how about "Maelstrom" from my Verne reads?

Jim in NYC

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#43 by Rava » 25 Sep 2015, 16:54

^
That is a good idea of water/ocean themed name.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

derixithy
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Mostyl debian/ubuntu based

Post#44 by derixithy » 21 Oct 2015, 10:39

If you still need more moderaters, i have time enough on my hands, i'm using linux for more then 10 years, i'm not an expert but know my way around.
My Portable Apps: http://appcdn.usershare.nl
My Porteus Modules: http://porteus.usershare.nl

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#45 by francois » 22 Oct 2015, 01:13

@derixithy:
Your proposition is quite interesting. The developpers are those that will make the final decision. However, you have to proove that your are interested to make some substantial and regular engagement in the porteus forum. However, do not be afraid, this is no sect.

We are in need of members with solid linux background, familiarity or interest. We have to widen our member base so to be able to support better the developpers and their projects. But we also need to provide warmful greeting to new members, and support according to their skill level.

Please, get familiar with porteus as much as you can, using it and installing it on different media and in different ways. Be familiar with usm gui and cli mode. Intervene regularly with newcomers and participate in projects of others. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.