Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86_64 last call for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#1 by fanthom » 12 Apr 2011, 18:23

As mentioned in the BETA thread: i dont expect any major updates before Slackware-13.37 Final so i have decided to release 64bit rc-1.

two screenshots:
http://img848.imageshack.us/img848/9214 ... kranu2.jpg
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/7360/snapshot1ja.png

here is the Changelog for this release:
/boot
- new win_start_here.hta script by brokenman!
- rebuilt linuxrc completely, it's smaller and well organized now. livedbg file is copied now to /var/log/porteus-livedbg. added 'Porteus booted from:' function (thanks to Rava for suggestion)
- added 'rootcopy=' cheatcode to linuxrc and cheatcoded.txt. now you can specify different folder (even on different device) which will be used instead of standard /porteus/rootcopy. usefull when used togheder with from_iso=
- updated chetacodes.txt as after compiling all nls's into vmlinuz, list of available iocharsets can be found only in /usr/doc/language/fat.txt
- upgraded syslinux to 4.03 (ext4 and btrfs support)
- added graphical menu for liloinst.sh script, some limitations comparing to syslinux:
* limit of characters in 'label' - that's why i have used 'KDE' instead of 'Graphics mode (KDE)'
* LILO wont accept blank characters in the name - that's why i used: 'Always_fresh' instead of 'Always fresh'
* editing of cheatcodes is not possible, you can just add something to existing ones.

/porteus
- userland bumped to Slackware-13.37-rc4
- rebased existing modules according to this thread: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=359

000-kernel
- upgraded to 2.6.38.2
- added support for GPT partitions. thanks to [IDC]Dragon.

001-core
- rebuilded 'activate/deactivate' scripts which now covers hangs caused by depmod and kbuildsycoca commands. lxde menu is always updated with new icons. activate always run 'ldconfig' after each insertion, only one instance of 'activate' script is allowed to be executed at time (insertion may be little slower)
- fixed small bug in liblinuxlive ($3 was missing in create_module function - my fault)
- rc.M synced with upstream
= rc.S aufs is remounted 'rw' after /proc and /sys are mounted (to fix mtab issue), /root has always 0700 perms now (thanks to Rava)
- rebuiild rc.4 - all scenarios should be covered now (thanks to brokenman and wread for help)
- updated magic_folders (sync and activate on the fly)
- updater LST so kxkbrc settings are showed only when KDE module is present
- updater porteus_encrypter to sync it with new linuxrc

002-xorg
- rebuilt 'xactivate/xdeactivate' - changes as per 'activate/deactivate'
- added 'Porteus save.dat manager' which allows you to create/resize/recover 'save.dat' containers (thanks to Blaze for suggestion and brokenman for implementation)
- fixed 'xorg not reading .Xresources' issue by adding proper actions to /opt/porteus-scripts/path (xterm has black background)
- fixed bug in porteus modmanager causing 100% cpu in some rare cases
- new Nodoka gtk-theme as oxygen-molecule depends on KDE-4 icons

004-kde
- updated to 4.6.2!
- nicer wallpaper
- added few more languages to kxkbrc
- removed weather plasmoids from taskbar (some people found it annoying)

005-devel
- added porteus kernel headers (not slackware's one)

006-firefox
- updated firefox to 4.0: new UI layout so please post suggestions what should be added/removed/changed (including addons)

Please test it as much as you can.
every feedback is welcome ;)

Cheers

KNOWN BUGS:

1. 'activation' doesnt work when launched in doplphin from guest account. Solution: edit /usr/bin/activate' and raise number of allowed instanced to 4 as in this example:
while [ $pid -gt 4 ]; do

2. hibernation is broken so dont try it. Luckily upstream is aware of it:
http://www.slackware.com/changelog/current.php?cpu=i386
i just patched the kernel and works like a charm now :)
to be avail in next Porteus release.

3. bluedevil never finishes scanning for new devices. Solution: bump libbluedevil to version 1.8.1.
to be done in next Porteus release.

Edited by Hamza , Reason : Add some infos
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Porteus-v1.0-rc1-x86_64 last call for testing

Post#2 by Hamza » 12 Apr 2011, 19:27

hehe... Good Job with Compiz Manager ;)

Now , We waiting the Slack 13.75 :)

Facebook Account Updated with last news .

-Added some screenshots of this version
-Added the download link of this version

-Updated boot files by Br0kenMan
-Updated to KDE 4.6.2
-Userland bumped to Slackware-13.37-rc4
-Linux Kernel upgraded to 2.6.38.2
-Mozilla Firefox updated to 4.0 version with the Porteus Customization
Mozilla Firefox has been added with Porteus in User/Agent.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#3 by Ahau » 12 Apr 2011, 23:44

Very nice work!

Since you upgraded syslinux, I updated it on my flashdrive, for the first time since v09 release. the start_here script ran flawlessly for me. much less guesswork than the old scripts, since you ask for the directory with the porteus folder. Very nice.

First impression: wallpaper should be set to scaled and cropped instead of just scaled; otherwise the wallpaper gets distorted on wide screens.

I tried rempkg, which seemd to work when logged in as root. A couple suggestions here, though : it would be nice to have a button, such as "done" in addition to "remove" and "cancel", so if I remove my last package and accidentally hit "yes" to remove another (which seems to happen frequently), I don't have to choose between removing yet another package (which I'd want to keep), or canceling and starting over. Also, I became convinced that this tool wasn't working while I was logged in to KDE as guest. I su'd to root in a console to run the tool, and I think it put the stripped module in /root/Desktop instead of home/guest/desktop, so I wasn't seeing it. My own stupidity there, lol.

You'll be hearing more from me as I continue to test.

thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#4 by Tonio » 12 Apr 2011, 23:59

@fanthom

Great Job! System is very responsive :) Nouveau is working great^{1}. Even wireless is working. Setup network with pns tool and I have had problems connecting with this machines as the connection was dropped often. Will test it more, but great that I found out about newer version

{1} 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)

bash-4.1$ uname -r
2.6.38.2-porteus
bash-4.1$ uname -m
x86_64
bash-4.1$ cat /etc/porteus-version
Porteus-v1.0

root@porteus:~# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31/P35/P31 Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 92)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801IR (ICH9R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 03)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technology Corp. JMB362/JMB363 Serial ATA Controller (rev 03)
05:01.0 Modem: PCTel Inc HSP MicroModem 56 (rev 02)
05:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW322/323 (rev 70)
05:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#5 by beny » 13 Apr 2011, 03:17

this is the link of nvidia driver that i have done when i have rebuild 2.6.38.2 kernel nvidia beta 270.26
http://www.mediafire.com/?n500id0e2k0fb take a look if work thank fanthom.

cttan
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 and 4.0 64bit KDE

Post#6 by cttan » 13 Apr 2011, 05:25

Hi fathom,

I have downloaded the RC1 and put in my usb disk that is used for V1.0 Beta and rebooted the system. It has stopped at syslinux startup.

The I boot up my 32bit version of Porteus and try to use the lin_start_here.sh script to make the usb disk bootable but it output an error saying /syslinux/lilo no such file or directory. Then I tried to copy into the boot/syslinux folder using the 32bit version and again it has error /syslinux/lilo binary file not executable or something like that.

At the end, I have to boot up my Win Vista to make the usb disk bootable. Although the output screen shown an error saying access denied but the script runs until the end and show Installation completed.

I rebooted the machine and voila! the system came up with the new RC1.

Thanks again for this latest nice release. :Yahoo!: Great job team!!!

Pedro
White ninja
White ninja

Post#7 by Pedro » 13 Apr 2011, 11:13

beny wrote:this is the link of nvidia driver that i have done when i have rebuild 2.6.38.2 kernel nvidia beta 270.26
http://www.mediafire.com/?n500id0e2k0fb take a look if work thank fanthom.
beny i have some kind of problem with your nvidia driver, porteus boots fine but when i open nvidia server settings i get this message

You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.

When i go to kinfocenter and select opengl under graphical information i get a could not initialize opengl error

Thanks

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by beny » 13 Apr 2011, 11:41

hi this is the ufficial nvidia driver build into the porteus rc1 this is the link
http://www.mediafire.com/?n500id0e2k0fb

Posted after 2 minutes 40 seconds:
hi pedro try the new in the link. i will erase the first file thanks

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#9 by Ahau » 13 Apr 2011, 12:46

xpns-tool worked well for me (this was my first time testing this tool as well), except I wasn't able to find it in the KDE menu :P I had to start it from the command line. The .desktop entry for pns-tool still launches the CLI version. I think it may be more appropriate to rename menu items #3 and 4, to "connect to a wireless network" and "connect to a wired network", rather than "setup"... but I'll leave that call up to you, fanthom.

Also, did kate get removed on purpose? I don't recall seeing that in the changelog.

I'm very much liking firefox 4 so far. It's nice to have the smiley icons working again! :Yahoo!:

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#10 by fanthom » 13 Apr 2011, 18:56

@Hamza
few corrections:
- it's kwin not compiz :)
- Slack 13.75?

i thought about changing user agent and i have a question about it:
wont it affect browsing the net in any way?
i can remember that i couldn't play Openarena (FPS in the browser) just because user agent which was not accepted on the website.

@Ahau
"wallpaper should be set to scaled and cropped instead of just scaled"
i have used 1920x1200 res so should be ok now with just 'cropped', could you test it for me, please:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Wh ... ent=139777

"I tried rempkg..."
please address all 'module tools' issuess to brokenman as he is developing this tool.

"xpns-tool worked well for me (this was my first time testing this tool as well), except I wasn't able to find it in the KDE menu :P I had to start it from the command line."
i will remove pns-tool cli version from Kmenu once xpns tool gets solid testing. cli will be launched from terminal only and xpns will be the main one.

Kate is not here as we have kwrite. i can swap them when you prove that kate is better (i use mcedit anyway so no problem for me).

@Tonio
is it this particular NIC causing troubles?
05:04.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
i cant identify wifi card here, anyway - could you try ndiswrapper for it?

@beny
thanks for nvidia. second version uploaded to official repo:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/testing/ ... -v1.0_rc1/

@cttan
"I have downloaded the RC1 and put in my usb disk that is used for V1.0 Beta and rebooted the system. It has stopped at syslinux startup."
i believe that old syslinux was conflicting with new one.

"The I boot up my 32bit version of Porteus and try to use the lin_start_here.sh script to make the usb disk bootable but it output an error saying /syslinux/lilo no such file or directory."
syslinux is in 64bit version and you can run it only from 64bit linux OS (until i compile static version which is quite hard).
Glad that Windows comes to rescue :shock:
############################################
known bugs:
'activation' doesnt work when launched in doplphin from guest account. Solution: edit /usr/bin/activate' and raise number of allowed instanced to 4 as in this example:
while [ $pid -gt 4 ]; do
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#11 by Hamza » 13 Apr 2011, 19:02

- it's kwin not compiz :)
It's very similar to compiz
- Slack 13.75?
Slackware 13.75 development version
i thought about changing user agent and i have a question about it:
wont it affect browsing the net in any way?
Normally , now , because this part of User/Agent is about Current OS/System
i can remember that i couldn't play Openarena (FPS in the browser) just because user agent which was not accepted on the website.
Could you give a link , and have you tested with new user/agent ?

Regards,
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 13 Apr 2011, 23:02

@fanthom-
the larger sized picture looks good on my screen, scaled w/out crop.

I don't think Kate is any better than Kwrite, I just noticed it's gone. I'm fine without it.

one other thing: when I right-click on a folder on the desktop, click copy, then right click to paste, the menu option says "paste URL" instead of "paste one folder". This issue does not appear to be present in dolphin.

thanks!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#13 by Tonio » 14 Apr 2011, 00:27

fanthom wrote: @Tonio
is it this particular NIC causing troubles?
i cant identify wifi card here, anyway - could you try ndiswrapper for it?
These two are integrated into the motherboard and are wired connections, both of which I have no way of testing @home, I would need to bring the machine to work at school and try to use either of these

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)

The wireless that this machine has is supposedly supported, but it is flaky. I could connect with it on Fedora but it quickly disconnected, on previous remixes, the tools told me that I was connected but could not browse. With the RC here, I could connect and browse happily for a good while till the connection died :(, but I have not the information for that wireless device. I will try to find out and report back within this thread.

Regards,

Antonio

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#14 by brokenman » 14 Apr 2011, 01:01

Excellent job! Downloading ISO now. I will revise rempkg and extpkg to clean up loose ends. Also if possible xpns-tool needs testing with WEP hex.

Tonio i have same problem with connection dropping. For me it drops once, then after connecting again stays connected. I put this down to crappy wifi card.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Pedro
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by Pedro » 14 Apr 2011, 02:01

beny wrote:hi this is the ufficial nvidia driver build into the porteus rc1 this is the link
http://www.mediafire.com/?n500id0e2k0fb

Posted after 2 minutes 40 seconds:
hi pedro try the new in the link. i will erase the first file thanks
Thanks for the update but still no luck. First i downloaded the version phantom uploaded to the official repo, i got the same error i reported in my previous post. Then i downloaded your module from mediafire (the official repo file and mediafire file have different sizes) and this time porteus asks me to log in and sends me to the command line, no X. I logged in as guest and typed startx, i received a error about a failure to load nvidia.ko. I have a 240gt card and it's working ok with porteus 0.9 and your module for 0.9. I'm trying with porteus fresh boot option
Thanks