Docker similarities to Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
tmoulder99
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Portues 3 Mint 17

Docker similarities to Porteus

Post#1 by tmoulder99 » 24 Oct 2014, 15:12

So correct me if I'm wrong - I probably am - but I've been reading quite a bit about Docker lately online, and the similarities - at least in concept - to Porteus struck me.

As I understand it, Docker is designed as a software deployment tool. Each "container" holds it's own dependencies internally, and uses resources provided by the host system. It can be thought of as a virtual machine stripped down to run one, single application. A container can be mounted into the system, unmounted when no longer being used, and has defined channels to interact with the host, for instance, saving work.

Porteus shares a similair idea with modules, compressed files that contain an application and it's dependencies, can be mounted and unmounted, and shares resources with the base system.

I'm not going anywhere with this, just musing on it. I thought it was fun that you guys have a design on a portable OS that mirrors the "cutting edge" of Linux software engineering.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Docker similarities to Porteus

Post#2 by fanthom » 24 Oct 2014, 15:55

more interesting concept was implemented in Quebes OS as all applications are isolated. you may read about it here:
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue ... 20#feature
(it's described under Sparky Linux).
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.