Porteus 3.1rc feedback

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Porteus 3.1rc feedback

Post#1 by brokenman » 19 Oct 2014, 16:35

Post your feedback of 3.1rcX here. This thread should only contain discussions, improvements and opinions. All bugs should be posted in the bug reports category. Please stay on topic. Thanks.
Last edited by brokenman on 17 Nov 2014, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed to rcX to keep one thread
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: Porteus 3.1rc1 feedback

Post#2 by sean » 19 Oct 2014, 20:21

RE: LXQt-32bit, Porteus 3.1-rc1

I'll probably be in error on some reports simply because I'm no guru at this, so forgive me please.

I've noticed remaining GUI configuration/setup duplication with some apps. Don't know if this is us, LXQt, or OpenBox. System Tools and Preferences has, however, been wonderfully reduced from what it is when adding LXQt to, say Lubuntu as I have, and most duplication has been well reduced from the Siduction-LXQt version also. Those 2 installations carry so many, confusing, duplicates for configuration and setup.

Since I've just this week installed LXQt 0.8.0 to my Lubuntu, I notice much of the GUI config duplication is still present. And since this 3.1-rc1 candidate is still using 0.7.0, I'm assuming "fanthom" did a fine job in eliminating much of that duplicity in Porteus. I like that very much. And I myself am suspicious about the LXDE/RazorQt marriage because that duplication continues so heavily with the LXQt product. Hopefully that contention in their marriage soon disappears and the duplication evaporates, it would be a good indication, IMHO, that LXQt is really moving forward, really serious, and soon to be what many users are looking forward to.

Here's the couple problems I've seen in just the little time I've spent with Porteus LXQt 3.1-rc1 32 bit:

Under Menu/Preferences/LXQt System Settings (which comes up in a window titled "Configuration Center", there are 2 Sub-headings; "LXQt settings" and "Other settings". "Desktop Preferences" and "Openbox Settings" appear under each heading. I would expect Desktop Preferences should be in "LXQt settings" and that "Openbox Settings" should be in "Other settings".

The LXQt panel certainly still needs a good bit of work. I don't think the shortfalls there have anything to do with us (Porteus). The panel configuration tool (Configure Panel)
, allows for a width adjustment but lacks a height adjustment. The old LXPanel seemed to be superior in handling this. Also needed in the panel are settings for the font size and color.

Okay, so I'm not beating up on Porteus in any way, just noting some of my very initial observations. This distribution continues to be my absolute favorite and it's in my pocket everywhere I go :-)

Sean (windy as usual :-)

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Post#3 by donald » 20 Oct 2014, 13:34

First of all..thanks for developing..
and because you were asking for it, here is a first look at xfce-32 bit.

Panel items:
no cpu usage applet anymore,..bad
the mount applets: icon is missing
(this applet only work for root,as guest you get error messages, which could
be disturbing for newbies.)

Porteus mount manager work but does not refresh.

root account warning in mousepad...seriously.?

keybord layouts are set to "dvorak", typing "qwertz" results in "ü,.pyf"

power manager -> display: blank after x.min does not blank the screen
(sleep/switch off work)

it took me some time to figure out how to access my fd0,.no icon in thunar-devices.
(and yes, I'm a dinosaur...)

The whisker-menu looks modern but in fact I have to click and scroll more to find what I'm searching for.

Firewall
default setting is off..hmmm
set to block all -> iptables -L -v -> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)..whaat.?

EDIT
are there nvidia-drivers somewhere.?
Index of /i486/testing/Porteus-v3.1-rc1/drivers/..is empty

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Post#4 by Bogomips » 20 Oct 2014, 21:01

Can't complain. Yesterday did 7 hour stint, braving it with nouveau driver on nvidia card. Most of session taken up with Pale Moon 25 and VLC browser plugin using ViewTube to see YT videos. One thing did come to attention though, and that was the fact of having to click the backwards arrow on browser twice in order to go back to previous page on the YouTube site. Not sure if it's 3.1 or 25, both of which are just as new. One other thing in similar vein happening with my last post, was the requirement to log in in order to submit, even though a draft had just been saved and Logout[Bogomips] was showing on top RH corner of page. Post could then be submitted following second login.

Yesterday, prior to closing down, retrieved flashplayer from 04-firefox.xzm to try out. Seemed to work alright. Satisfied with flash playback, closed PaleMoon, did slackyd to get latest flash txz, and with only gtk-chtheme and vlc bundle activated, just Kwrite and Konsole windows open, a mouse problem arose. Clicking on kwrite to get focus resulted in selection of a whole swathe of lines. Anyway it was with difficulty and multiple tries that a block of lines from Konsole was finally copied to kwrite. Shortly thereafter noticed cpu at 100%, mouse pointer hardly mobile, everything freezing up. Alt+SysRq+f freed cpu, and enabled a normal shutdown. As nothing very much was running, can only assume it was flashplayer plugin minor 406 at root of problem.

Update(21/10): Yesterday (latest flashplayer enabled, but not invoked in PaleMoon) passed without incident, but today is another day ...
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Post#5 by Sagittarius » 21 Oct 2014, 22:24

Thank you very much for this release and the virtual keyboard in Mate. In your announcement post you list under
003-mate.xzm "Added florence virtual keyboard". The keyboard I have in Mate is Kvkbd!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 by brokenman » 22 Oct 2014, 01:43

This is a screenshot from mate. It shows florence.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/133978i5vxotp ... e.png?dl=0

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Post#7 by Sagittarius » 22 Oct 2014, 12:51

Link to screenshot:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... 8CE%211619

My menu with entry for the iso I downloaded:

title Porteus-MATE-v3.1rc1 with copy2ram
kernel (hd0,0)/Porteus-MATE-v3.1rc1-i486/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/Linux_ISO/Porteus-MATE-v3.1rc1-i486.iso copy2ram kmap=es extramod=/mnt/sda1/Porteus-MATE-v3.1rc1-i486/porteus/optional login=root
initrd=(hd0,0)/Porteus-MATE-v3.1rc1-i486/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

Looks like I downloaded a KDE iso and there is a confusion with desktops? I've not seen either before so I have no idea.

My old computer is struggling. And is it normal to have a 20+ plus second countdown to shutdown? It boots very slowly.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#8 by Ed_P » 22 Oct 2014, 22:53

3.1rc1 LXQt x86_64 ISO

PCManFM has a Places named Network which has a file named Windows Network. :Yahoo!: Unfortunately clicking on it doesn't open the local network and eventually times out. :cry: In the location box I tried adding after network:/// a home IP address but that didn't help. Am I missing something?

The Desktop Preferences window's Advanced tab is empty.

USM, the gui version, clicking on the Updates option's Update USM item returns a message stating "An update is available for the usm database files" before the message that "A new version of USM is available.".

RazorQT had an option to Unlock the desktop which allowed me to resize the icon box to put two more icons along the left edge of the desktop, I don't see a way to do that with LXQt.

The default desktop wallpaper is in /usr/share/wallpapers/ and is the only wallpaper there. LXQt settings' Appearance Configuration for LXQt Themes sets the wallpaper location to be /usr/share/lxqt/themes/light/ It might be good if the two settings used the same location.

Overall, it works on my netbook; graphics, wifi, sata hdd, firefox, my wine apps. And seems faster than the 3.0.1 RazorQt system I use.

=update=

TightVNC connects to the local remote hosts but then locks up the netbook. I had to power off to reboot.
Last edited by Ed_P on 23 Oct 2014, 03:39, edited 1 time in total.
Ed

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 23 Oct 2014, 01:28

@Sagitarius
Please redownload your ISO. It seems there was a problem with the wizard at the time you used it. This has been resolved and choosing MATE should now give you the mate desktop.

@Ed_P
Try grabbing samba to get your networking functional.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#10 by fanthom » 23 Oct 2014, 09:39

@sean
will try to remove duplications from the menu. the rest must be fixed upstream unfortunately.

@donald
proprietary drivers (nVidia/AMD) always breaks against latest kernel so i did not even try to compile them on rc1. hopefully will be able to do it for final (depends on available patches)

@Ed_P
"PCManFM has a Places named Network which has a file named Windows Network. :Yahoo!: Unfortunately clicking on it doesn't open the local network and eventually times out"
as brokenman said - please install samba and let us know if that helped

"The Desktop Preferences window's Advanced tab is empty."
yes - upstream bug still not fixed in 0.8.0 from what i can see

"RazorQT had an option to Unlock the desktop which allowed me to resize the icon box to put two more icons along the left edge of the desktop, I don't see a way to do that with LXQt."
please drag and drop apps there

"The default desktop wallpaper is in /usr/share/wallpapers/ and is the only wallpaper there. LXQt settings' Appearance Configuration for LXQt Themes sets the wallpaper location to be /usr/share/lxqt/themes/light/ It might be good if the two settings used the same location."
done

"TightVNC connects to the local remote hosts but then locks up the netbook. I had to power off to reboot."
Tight or Tiger? we use Tigervnc by default in lxqt. does it happen every time?

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#11 by francois » 23 Oct 2014, 14:02

I have used the 64 bit editions of 3.1rc1 with kde and lxqt environments with chrome root mode, libreoffice, printing module. Everything works fine in both environments for my toshiba z930 laptop.

I found no bugs yet and no anomaly, except that system-config-printer does not appear in the system submenu of lxqt. As I have looked at archlinux, gentoo and mageia lxqt versions, I can say that fantom has done a pretty good job in rearranging the menu. The porteus way is a lot more intuitive. LXQT is very responsive, I will use it on my msi 340x laptop.

In terms of preference, this is not new to this porteus edition, I prefer gparted over the kde partitioner. However, I understand that the libraries involved would add unnecessary weight.

This rc1 seems to be most mature porteus version to me.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by sean » 23 Oct 2014, 15:48

I notice under pcmanfm/Edit/Preferences/Behavior/Browsing, the option to "Open files with a single click" is grayed out/inactive.

If there is no overwhelming reason against it, could this be activated ?

Only because I've been around for a while did I come across opening /usr/share/applications with pcmanfm and dragging and dropping apps either onto the desktop or into the panel launchbar. Maybe I've missed it, but I could find to other way to place such apps in those 2 areas.

BTW, you've already done a fine job defining the menu and narrowing down the selections.

(edit) Oops, almost forgot, shouldn't there be a "Super User Mode - PCManFM File Manager" under System Tools ?

Sean

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#13 by Ed_P » 23 Oct 2014, 16:42

fanthom wrote: "PCManFM has a Places named Network which has a file named Windows Network. :Yahoo!: Unfortunately clicking on it doesn't open the local network and eventually times out"
as brokenman said - please install samba and let us know if that helped
Removing the nonfunctioning Windows Network file would fix the problem also.
"RazorQT had an option to Unlock the desktop which allowed me to resize the icon box to put two more icons along the left edge of the desktop, I don't see a way to do that with LXQt."
please drag and drop apps there
!! Wasn't expecting that solution, and yes it does work.
"TightVNC connects to the local remote hosts but then locks up the netbook. I had to power off to reboot."
Tight or Tiger? we use Tigervnc by default in lxqt. does it happen every time?
Yes, Tiger not Tight. Will test it again later. VNC works in 3.0.1 RazorQT.

gparted is missing!!!!!! Is this a LXQt situation or a 3.1 situation?
Ed

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#14 by fanthom » 23 Oct 2014, 17:49

Removing the nonfunctioning Windows Network file would fix the problem also.
i cant see this file, could you post a screensot? mayeb it appears when there is a Win PC in the local network? my home is Win free ;)

gparted is missing!!!!!!
gparted is there!!!!!!
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#15 by sean » 23 Oct 2014, 18:01

Ed_P,

I'm showing GParted under System Tools here with the 32bit version.

Sean