Wishlist for porteus 3.1

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: Wishlist for porteus 3.1

Post#121 by Rava » 23 Aug 2015, 15:07

When it comes to package providers, seems Freestylers is dead. He was not seen in months on here, and his site gives errors when trying to download any of the modules,
Or is that just me having these issues?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Wishlist for porteus 3.1

Post#122 by francois » 26 Aug 2015, 23:15

As you wrote. The site does not work to retrieve packages. Something might have happened to our terrible boy. :(
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#123 by Ed_P » 27 Aug 2015, 03:12

I just downloaded 2 files from http://freestyler.porteus-apps.org/slackware/. One x86_64 bit, one i386 bit. Each about 45 MB.
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#124 by Rava » 27 Aug 2015, 17:51

Ed_P wrote:I just downloaded 2 files from http://freestyler.porteus-apps.org/slackware/. One x86_64 bit, one i386 bit. Each about 45 MB.
I tried some from http://porteus-apps.org and indeed they can be downloaded. :D (One xzm was hosted on https://app.box.com , so that one not counts as a download from porteus-apps.org)

Also, there are now again new entries on the main page, not written by freestyler but "Submitted by PaulBY"
Half good, since my User account still not works. Tried requesting a new password, but received no email from porteus-apps.org ... :cry:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#125 by Rava » 27 Aug 2015, 21:25

blue4meridian,

do you have info how long Slackonly and Slackpack have been around already? And who is hosting the sites, and how they are paid for. The info is valid in determining if the sites will be still available and having good download speed half a year or 2 years from now...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#126 by Rava » 29 Aug 2015, 04:52

You will help your cause (wanting these repos included) by quoting the most relevant parts, e.g. constant uptime from beginning to now... Just a tip. Cause, you know, the one including or excluding repos in usm is a busy man.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#127 by brokenman » 29 Aug 2015, 21:33

I've emailed Panagiotis (maintainer of slackonly) to see if the fast mirrors can offer rsync. Without this I can't add it to USM. At the moment the syncs are automated and I don't have to look at it.

EDIT:
2 minute response time for my email from Panagiotis. Nice.
I've synced the 64bit repository, but the 32 bit repo is missing a ChangeLog.txt which is vital for USM to know when something was changed.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#128 by Rava » 31 Aug 2015, 18:31

brokenman wrote:2 minute response time for my email from Panagiotis. Nice.
I've synced the 64bit repository, but the 32 bit repo is missing a ChangeLog.txt which is vital for USM to know when something was changed.
92% of my Porteus needs (as in: 64 bit Port!) solved in 2 minutes. Neat indeed.

And hopefully Panagiotis will implement a ChangeLog.txt for 32 bit as well. *knocks on wood* :D
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#129 by brokenman » 05 Sep 2015, 04:29

https://github.com/brokenman/usm

Added slackonly repository. Those familiar with git can pull it now and test 64bit repository. It will be available to update through USM this weekend.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#130 by brokenman » 05 Sep 2015, 20:13

Can you point me to a slackware compatible repository for it?

It should have a ChangeLog.txt, PACKAGES.TXT, MD5SUM.TXT and all the rest.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#131 by Rava » 06 Sep 2015, 21:00

I looked into the directory of "Packages for Slackware 14.1", looking for ChangeLog.txt, PACKAGES.TXT, MD5SUM.TXT and all the rest and not even found the first one, ChangeLog.txt :(

Sure, the files still might be there since it is a html page, created by search.cgi, and that cgi script might omit some files, like all needed ones...

If you want it to be included, please mail and ask the maintainer via the @ you gave above, blue4meridian. :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#132 by brokenman » 16 Sep 2015, 13:14

If the maintainers find merit in a repo.. it is logical that THEY should reach out to improve their project.
I am incredibly busy so I ask for all the help I can get. It is quite easy for you to simply say "You should add this repo". Quite the opposite for me to do it.

Thanks very much Rava for looking into it for me.
If an end user reaches out to a repo it will be seen as begging for favors... which will likely be ignored.
Quite the opposite. This is looked at as 'Doing the leg work' and not begging. Case in point ... slackonly. Porteus users asked for it, did the leg work and it is now included.
So if the maintainers like (consider?) what they are doing on pkgs.org then they need to reach out.
USM is slackware based. There is no point having packages available that will not automatically resolve dependencies. It just leads to complaints and more work.
In any case... the suggestion is moot because I have abandoned Slackware for Arch Linux.
Yet you still made it. Good luck with Arch.
So my new "wish" is for everyone else to do the same... if they are serious about repos.
Good luck with that too. I have an arch based version of Porteus sitting here on my computer. The problem is the hours and hours and hours of work I need to put in to make it function.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#133 by brokenman » 17 Sep 2015, 01:08

In context... begging the repo NOT maintainer. So there is no leg work because... there will be no response because the end user has no credibility or authority.
Ok, yes I understand now. The leg work I refer to doesn't involve any begging. Just go out and find the repo that has the minimum requirements to be slackware compatible.
So Arch (unfortunately?) is the route of least resistance.
You might also checkout gentoo if you are wanting to fully customize for your hardware. You have to compile everything which can take days to setup. The process is a little long, but quite painless and the available packages are plentiful.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#134 by Rava » 21 Sep 2015, 23:37

brokenman wrote:You might also checkout gentoo if you are wanting to fully customize for your hardware. You have to compile everything which can take days to setup. The process is a little long, but quite painless and the available packages are plentiful.
Does that mean.... that when I try out a gentoo live Linux (I presume there is one) I might find out that my issues with my 8core notebook and the sound - over - hdmi issue - no longer working with never Porteus at all - might be resolved with gentoo, and I "only" would have to find out which sound / alsa / hdmi driver I need to compile and add for my Porteus on that machine?

Which, of course, could be the solution to other's hdmi sound issues as well....
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#135 by brokenman » 22 Sep 2015, 04:31

If your problem is a kernel module then this won't help. Perhaps if you can send the technical details I can take a look in my free time. I also have an 8 core notebook with HDMI and analog on the same card. I know you posted the details of aplay somewhere else. If you can find it and point me to it I will revise it again and try to help.