Porteus-v1_beta-i486 ready for testing

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Porteus-v1_beta-i486 ready for testing

Post#31 by fanthom » 25 Mar 2011, 01:35

@all
After short dispute with brokenman we have decided to not go with translations for initrd and rc scripts. it could cause unnecessary problems which i mentioned in my first post in this thread. currently we are messing up a lot with booting scripts so maybe we can afford it when everything stabilize (next release i guess).

for now we will have save.dat creation in linuxrc + GUI tool for creating .dat images launched from KDE/LXDE menu.
Sorry about that.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#32 by wread » 25 Mar 2011, 02:21

Unfortunately uncommenting the line #TerminateServer=True doesn't solve the KDM login screen shutdown freeze problem for me.

The file /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc in 004-kde/ extracted directory is a java file, I think; I suppose it will be somehow filtered to produce the end text file. But that test I have not been able to make, because I couldn't create the squash file anew. I suspect there is still something else to fix, then although KDM doesen't freeze by me, I still have to press "enter" to shut down.

Try it with the rootcopy hack first, to see if it works for you.

This weekend I'll continue the research with a new usb pendrive.
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

hypomania
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Windows phone

Post#33 by hypomania » 25 Mar 2011, 04:49

1-
I think should move "python + wicd + pygtk....etc" to kde_apps.xzm, because there is xpns-tool on Lxde, also no need to make xorg.xzm bigger size .

2-
when delete kde.xzm + kde_apps.org no icons!,
replace icons for porteus scripts in menu "system tools " to scripts with same icons name on kde and humanity style.

3-
on Lxde, pcmanfm doesn't work when I open it from menu or from panel , but I can open it from double click on shortcut 'Home' on Desktop !

4-
xarchiver can not open open 'txz' , but need chose 'open with' !

------------------------------------------
another things are working fine,
Best Regards.

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#34 by Blaze » 25 Mar 2011, 09:27

hi brokenman,

fix for this

Code: Select all

cd /usr/bin/
rm startkde

# !!!This command (rename - rename files) does not work. Why?!!!
rename startkde.new startkde
# Go to /usr/bin/ and to rename manually startkde.new to startkde

cd
mc

# select the folder .kde
# press button F8 and delete this folder. Then press button F10 for exit from mc
# to close console and then press buttons Ctrl+Alt+Backspace for ending session of KDE
About sycoca
'sycoca' (system configuration cache). The file is located in /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca.
This line

/var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca
was removed from Porteus rc scripts?
- /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca is removed by rc.slax to fix kde/changes/FAT issue - thanks to BrunDibar
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#35 by brokenman » 26 Mar 2011, 00:00

when delete kde.xzm + kde_apps.org no icons!
I will check this out. Needs fixing

on Lxde, pcmanfm doesn't work when I open it from menu or from panel
I beleive i had a bad permission somewhere. Fixed now.

Thanks Blaze. When i first compiled KDE i renamed all .new files to overwrite their twin. Not sure how i reverted to original startkde. This fixes the .kde folder issue.

rc.slax content was moved to rc.M.

/var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca is removed by rc.slax to fix kde/changes/FAT issue - thanks to BrunDibar

Where di you find this comment?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#36 by fanthom » 26 Mar 2011, 00:13

@brokenman
"/var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca is removed by rc.slax to fix kde/changes/FAT issue - thanks to BrunDibar
Where di you find this comment?"
it comes from slax-remix thread on slax forum.
i have removed function for deleting /var/tmp/kdecache-root/ksycoca from rc.slax (rc.M now) as we dont save changes on FAT/NTFS anymore. this function shouldn't be needed to get KDE working properly.

@Blaze
is it still causing the troubles?
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#37 by brokenman » 26 Mar 2011, 03:46

I think should move "python + wicd + pygtk....etc" to kde_apps.xzm, because there is xpns-tool on Lxde, also no need to make xorg.xzm bigger size .
There is also xpns-tool for KDE but i felt that wicd is easier for people to use. Having python 2.6 also means modules will have a dependency satisfies. On the other hand it would free up ALOT of space. Still thinking about it.

2-
when delete kde.xzm + kde_apps.org no icons!,
replace icons for porteus scripts in menu "system tools " to scripts with same icons name on kde and humanity style.

Sorry ... i will pay more attention to lxde. I have fixed this problem now.

3-
on Lxde, pcmanfm doesn't work when I open it from menu or from panel , but I can open it from double click on shortcut 'Home' on Desktop !
I have downgraded lxde-common which fixed this problem
4-
xarchiver can not open open 'txz' , but need chose 'open with' !
Still working on this one. Just a mime problem.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#38 by Ahau » 26 Mar 2011, 05:10

just an FYI more than a bug -- maybe you already know. you have two copies each of mksquashfs, mksquashfs3, unsquashfs, and unsquashfs3 -- one set in 001-core, and another in 002-xorg. the mksquashfs in 001-core is slightly smaller than its counterpart in 002-xorg, and is incompatible with dir2xzm, etc., as it won't accept the options fed to it by liblinuxlive.

This brings me to my second thought. It may be useful to have a script (or an option, under the activate script) that would output a list of any files that were overwritten in the existing live system (maybe this exists already and I'm just not aware?). This could help identify redundant files, and, in the case of user modules, it could throw a warning if any dynamic libraries were being changed. Methinks I need to bone up on bash scripting ;)

All in all, beta has been working very well for me! Thank you!!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#39 by Blaze » 26 Mar 2011, 07:33

fanthom wrote:is it still causing the troubles?
No. Simply interesting :)

brokenman, why the command

rename
- rename files does not work?

For example

rename startkde.new startkde
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#40 by brokenman » 26 Mar 2011, 09:42

Ahau
Yes i have already removed all the double ups. I must have accidentally dumped my porteus tree into the wrong folder.
I like your 2nd thought although at the moment i can't think of a way it could be universally. Perhaps the activate script could dump a list of everything overwritten. Would be very useful for troubleshooting which module caused a problem.

Blaze
I don't why rename doesn't work. I've always used mv instead. util-linux has a newer version so i will upgrade it and see what happens.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#41 by wread » 27 Mar 2011, 03:44

@brokenman
Now I am using a new pendrive and a new download from the iso. Two partitions boot on fat32 and porteus in xfs. Results are not better, I'm sorry!

The good news is I found the cure for the KDM. The configuration java-script is the source that produces the text rc file. The program for that is /usr/bin/genkdmconf and as a live os, Porteus should run it at start -a rc.slax candidate- I think you should put it in rc.M, inside the block you made for KDM, just at line 298,

/usr/bin/genkdmconf >/dev/null

In my case I did put it in rootcopy/etc/rc.d/rc.local because I keep having problems with dir2xzm (and mksquashfs) and have not been able to modify any package by the extracting-changing-creating mechanism. I think that will work for you!

Now the bad news: my 004-kde.xzm is 51.2 MB; extracted, it grows to 68.5 MB with 2075 files and 139 subfolders. If I create it again using kde the resulting file is 2.9 MB. Using the console and dir2xzm the xzm-file is 30.9 MB. I am afraid it is a kernel bug, specifically an xfs bug. Take a look at the konsole output:

bash-4.1# cd /mnt/sdb2/porteus/optional/
bash-4.1# vdir
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 89 Mar 26 18:08 004-kde
bash-4.1# dir2xzm . 004-kde.xzm
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 1 processor
Creating 4.0 filesystem on 004-kde.xzm, block size 262144.
[==================================================================================| ] 1472/1473 99%
File ./004-kde.xzm changed size while reading filesystem, attempting to re-read
[===================================================================================\] 1473/1473 100%
[===================================================================================\] 1473/1473 100%
Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, xz compressed, data block size 262144
compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments, compressed xattrs
duplicates are removed
Filesystem size 31684.90 Kbytes (30.94 Mbytes)
36.98% of uncompressed filesystem size (85674.62 Kbytes)
Inode table size 15792 bytes (15.42 Kbytes)
20.87% of uncompressed inode table size (75657 bytes)
Directory table size 19654 bytes (19.19 Kbytes)
39.06% of uncompressed directory table size (50314 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 416
Number of inodes 2217
Number of files 1749
Number of fragments 159
Number of symbolic links 328
Number of device nodes 0
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 140
Number of ids (unique uids + gids) 2
Number of uids 2
root (0)
polkituser (1000)
Number of gids 2
root (0)
polkituser (1000)
bash-4.1# ^C
bash-4.1#

(The red color is by me. Besides, don't be afraid of polkituser, it is part of the HPPrinting "team"; my kde console looses the PS1 setting -and others- but that is a minor issue).

Now that I have two pen drives with the same error, I will change the file type by one of them to ext3 by formatting and loading again from iso disk (ext3 is what you are using, I think). Or what would you suggest? Maybe other advanced members have more ideas....

Ok, it is almost midnight and my old bones need some rest, so good night!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#42 by brokenman » 27 Mar 2011, 08:09

Thanks. I have previously run genkdmconf to create the config but didn't realize it has to be run at every boot. Will check it out.

For your xfs problem i will have to format xfs and test it out.

This part of your problem comes from you using '.' in your command. The module you are generating is being created in the same directory that is being made into a module. The system senses the data in the current folder growing as it is trying to make a module. Please try:

dir2xzm folder /tmp/module.xzm

For the record i have the 004 base module at around 51M compressed and 205Mb uncompressed.

EDIT:
It seems i don't have the same joy with kdmrc as you. I tried to run /usr/bin/genkdmconf both in rc.local and rc.M but still can't shutdown from KDM login screen. I have TerminateServer=true in X-:0-Core part of kdmrc and also AllowShutdown=All ..... but no joy. I am using always fresh to boot into. Everything freezes after choosing 'shutdown' from the white box at the bottom right. After choosing shutdown i can press enter (on keyboard) to shutdown, or esc to get back to login screen.

I also created a flash drive with the same setup as you and had no trouble at all either unpacking or repacking a module. I tries both creating the module in /tmp and /mnt/sdb2 (flashdrive) with success. Just to be sure i have upload the squash tool from my system so you can check if this is the prob, although i guess others would have noticed it.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kscdcmfdsl1ip3c/wread.xzm

Posted after 3 hours 42 minutes 15 seconds:
Blaze
Testing rename i have found that it does work as expected.

touch testfile.txt
rename testfile.txt testfilechanged.txt testfile*
ls testfilechanged.txt

man rename

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#43 by Hamza » 27 Mar 2011, 14:03

What is the best FS between ext3 and ext4 ? (I think , it is the ext4)

We can write a batch file for make a ext4 partition for Porteus on Windows , Link

Regards,
NjVFQzY2Rg==

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#44 by beny » 28 Mar 2011, 08:36

the KDM log out button for me,go to a console.and not to freeze,then you can do poweroff or reboot or halt.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#45 by brokenman » 28 Mar 2011, 10:00

Hamza wrote:What is the best FS between ext3 and ext4 ? (I think , it is the ext4)

We can write a batch file for make a ext4 partition for Porteus on Windows , Link

Regards,
That won't work. It can read an ext4 partition but as far as i know windows won't create ext partitions.
The KDM log out button for me,go to a console.and not to freeze,then you can do poweroff or reboot or halt.
Yes a console will work, but we would like to figure out how to get the shutdown button to work from KDM login screen. BTW: poweroff is a symlink to halt, i've heard that this can be one of the reasons the button won't work but i have also tried changing the halt command to shutdown, but still see the same problem.