All slim Porteus with Pale Moon!

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

All slim Porteus with Pale Moon!

Post#1 by Rava » 04 Jul 2014, 21:46

I suggest Pale Moon as a new choice for a browser. Pale Moon. It's an highly optimized Firefox, all the bloated and unneeded code is cut out, and it works way quicker and more smooth than any Firefox I know... and the good thing is: you can use all and any plugins that you had/used in your Firefox as well...

And since it is quicker and more slim, I recommend to have Pale Moon as the Standard Browser for all slim versions of Porteus, as in: LXDE, XFCe...

I hope you core development guys check out Pale Moon and come to the same result as me: that it's awesome.
There are contributed builds, the newest version for x86-64 Linux is 24.6.2, and it has the look and feel of a bit outdated / a bit older FFx...

One of my machines is a single core only, and not capable running x86-64, and often gets slow and sluggish... but by just switching from FFx to Pale Moon (i686 version ion that machine, sure) gave me back my wanted performance, all the same in the system is plain Porteus 3.0... Just by changing from FFx to Pale Moon gave me the boost that slower machine so needed!

Should I upload my Pale Moon module somewhere to make it more easy to check it out? But know that I removed it's standard en-US dictionary, since I use en-GB and German (Alte Rechtschreibung) anyway, and not use the USA spellchecker...
But aside from that detail, it is just changed so that it would work in a Porteus. But I only have the /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop file, and not the one for KDE, cause I don't run KDE...)

See here for Linux builds: http://www.palemoon.org/contributed-builds.shtml
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: 3.2.2 Cinnamon & KDE5

Re: All slim Porteus with Pale Moon!

Post#2 by Bogomips » 07 Oct 2014, 14:21

Rava, don't think extra files needed other than those in tgz.

Code: Select all

guest@porteus:~$ sudo tar -xjf palemoon-24.7.2.en-US.linux-i686.tar.bz2 -C /opt

guest@porteus:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/palemoon /usr/bin/palemoon

guest@porteus:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default16.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/palemoon.png
guest@porteus:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default32.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/palemoon.png
guest@porteus:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/palemoon.png
guest@porteus:~$ sudo ln -s /opt/palemoon/browser/icons/mozicon128.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/palemoon.png

guest@porteus:~$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/palemoon
guest@porteus:~$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
guest@porteus:~$ palemoon

(process:17335): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /root/Projects/palemoon/Pale-Moon/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
###!!! ABORT: X_CreatePixmap: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation); 4 requests ago: file /root/Projects/palemoon/Pale-Moon/toolkit/xre/nsX11ErrorHandler.cpp, line 157
Segmentation fault
Getting same errors as person without required gtk2 theme (Slaxmax link)
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 08 Oct 2014, 07:54

@Bogomips
Seems I have to look into my xzm and compare it to the original tgz to see what I added...
Cheers!
Yours Rava

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by att » 09 Oct 2014, 07:08

Can you post a download link to the XZM of PaleMoon?
I would love to try it!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 09 Oct 2014, 14:56

att wrote:Can you post a download link to the XZM of PaleMoon?
I would love to try it!
I haven't uploaded it anywhere yet... so, you would want me to upload it to some filesharing thingy to check out PaleMoon?

But know, it's the x86-64 version only!

Also, I removed it's default US dictionary, since I use the en-GB (en-UK) variant, not the US one!
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by Bogomips » 09 Oct 2014, 20:21

So, ok, changed theme to Raleigh. PM is reasonably impressive! Running with zero cache and am able to keep memory usage under control. Also just now viewed YT video without problem. Will have to make xzm of gtk theme changer. When done, will upload it. :good:
Linux porteus 4.4.0-porteus #3 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 23 07:01:55 UTC 2016 i686 AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] (rev a2) MemTotal: 901760 kB MemFree: 66752 kB

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Rava » 10 Oct 2014, 00:10

^
Yay.... seems, when PM runs and it seems to have some issues, as named above or in the wishlist for 3.1 thread, it indeed is way more performant than FFx...

Hopefully it's x86-64 version?
What do you think, wanna collaborate with me in creating a PM pbuild script?

Me thinks, your version is also 24.7.2? [Or is there a newer one already? For some reason, asking PM to check for PM updates usually not works for me, dunno why...]
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#8 by Bogomips » 10 Oct 2014, 18:37

INFO Creating Profile of Choice

$ mkdir /Path/to/Profile
$ palemoon -profile /Path/to/Profile
And given directory will hold profile.

Thereafter

$ palemoon -profile /Path/to/Profile

Example:

$ mkdir [/guest/home/]pmPrf
$ palemoon -profile [/guest/home/]pmPrf
(Comment: Documentation so headachy and windowy, that just had to clarify for reference.)
Rava wrote:Hopefully it's x86-64 version?
Version: 24.7.2 (x86) Shouldn't make much difference, though 8)
Rava wrote:What do you think, wanna collaborate with me in creating a PM pbuild script?
Seems to be very simple, but if you have in mind using wget to download latest tgz and making xzm from that, might be worth the effort. As you are very familiar with PM it would be easiest for you to take care of finding version and downloading it. Would like myself, to try my hand at making the package manually, as it looks quite simple to do. Thereafter we could try to work out a script to perform the required operations. If that's ok with you pm :D me.

P.S.
Rava wrote: Me thinks, your version is also 24.7.2? [Or is there a newer one already? For some reason, asking PM to check for PM updates usually not works for me, dunno why...]
Just now been on PM site, and today V25.0 just out, but no Linux tgz as yet. :evil:

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Rava » 11 Oct 2014, 01:34

Bogomips wrote:Hopefully it's x86-64 version?
I think it does, I cannot use a x86 xzm module, I run x86-64 without any x86 32 bit libraries as straight / only 64 bit system...
Bogomips wrote:Seems to be very simple, but if you have in mind using wget to download latest tgz and making xzm from that, might be worth the effort. As you are very familiar with PM it would be easiest for you to take care of finding version and downloading it. Would like myself, to try my hand at making the package manually, as it looks quite simple to do. Thereafter we could try to work out a script to perform the required operations. If that's ok with you pm :D me.
What needs to be handled is getting the version number from the tgz file. Including that into the module's name. (I worded on tweaking the pBuild script for FFx to just do that...)

Also, trying to get the newest FlashPlayer as well... that's ATM the main reason why just converting PaleMoon tgz won't give me the module I want: FlashPlayer would be missing in that module... and I want my "browser" module to be complete: browser (=PM) and FlashPlayer included.
Bogomips wrote:Just now been on PM site, and today V25.0 just out, but no Linux tgz as yet. :evil:
:roll: We might have to wait, like, a day or so until one created the tgz... especially since the official palemoon site redirects Linux users and download to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/ ... that's where I usually get my PM from, but ATM they not even have any 25.0.0 version.

Anyhow, where do you get the tgz from?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by Rava » 11 Oct 2014, 13:26

//Update
What I read on the Linux forum of PM is that from 25.0.0 onwards, PM no longer tells the plug-ins (the xpi's) that it's a FFX, but that it's PM, so all (? or some?) xpi's one uses seems to be broken by default, and we need to fix that in the xpi's

Here is the thread: Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux
Quote from this thread:
Please understand that PM 25 uses a new GUID and may show incompatibilities with Firefox extensions.

You need to unpack extension XPIs and replace all instances of the Firefox GUID with Pale Moon's GUID and also possibly increment em:(max|min)version values for FF extensions to work.
And when you have to manually hack an xpi, then the automated update will also be broken...

I am not happy with that detail on PM 25.0.0... :(
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#11 by Bogomips » 11 Oct 2014, 18:37

Rava wrote: What needs to be handled is getting the version number from the tgz file. Including that into the module's name. (I worded on tweaking the pBuild script for FFx to just do that...)

Also, trying to get the newest FlashPlayer as well... that's ATM the main reason why just converting PaleMoon tgz won't give me the module I want: FlashPlayer would be missing in that module... and I want my "browser" module to be complete: browser (=PM) and FlashPlayer included.
Bogomips wrote:Hopefully it's x86-64 version?
I think it does, I cannot use a x86 xzm module, I run x86-64 without any x86 32 bit libraries as straight / only 64 bit system...
Structurally was meant. Would only be a matter of putting a switch in the script to select one or other system.
Bogomips wrote:Just now been on PM site, and today V25.0 just out, but no Linux tgz as yet. :evil:
Rava wrote://Update
What I read on the Linux forum of PM is that from 25.0.0 onwards, PM no longer tells the plug-ins (the xpi's) that it's a FFX, but that it's PM, so all (? or some?) xpi's one uses seems to be broken by default, and we need to fix that in the xpi's

Here is the thread: Pale Moon 25 beta for Linux
Quote from this thread:
Please understand that PM 25 uses a new GUID and may show incompatibilities with Firefox extensions.
Read that in the release notes. It's only Greasemonkey that affects me, and there is a workaround for that. Btw there are extensions for html5 player to displace flash. Tried one, but html5 player very soon gobbled up all my memory. :twisted:
Rava wrote: :roll: We might have to wait, like, a day or so until one created the tgz... especially since the official palemoon site redirects Linux users and download to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/ ... that's where I usually get my PM from, but ATM they not even have any 25.0.0 version.

Anyhow, where do you get the tgz from?
palemoon.org > Download > Pale Moon > Pale Moon for Linux > Browse All Files > 24.7.2 2014-09-13

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#12 by Rava » 11 Oct 2014, 19:42

Bogomips wrote:Structurally was meant.
Oh you meant just the creation of the module, yes, that's right, there should be no issues between 386/486 and x86-64...
Bogomips wrote:Would only be a matter of putting a switch in the script to select one or other system.
I even recommend letting the pBuild do it's job by determining which ARCH is running... would have liked to look that up in my most recent edit of the FFx pBuild to see how that was done in there, but don't find the one USB stick that this is one... :(
root@porteus:~# uname -a
Linux porteus 3.14.15-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 3 12:01:20 Local time zone must be set--s x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Yes, the timezone issue is... an issue. But wrong thread here... and it seems you have the very same issue than me. :(
Better thread for that would be: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2770
Bogomips wrote:Please understand that PM 25 uses a new GUID and may show incompatibilities with Firefox extensions.
Read that in the release notes. It's only Greasemonkey that affects me, and there is a workaround for that. Btw there are extensions for html5 player to displace flash. Tried one, but html5 player very soon gobbled up all my memory. :twisted:
Displace? Me thinks you meant display...

Back on topic, you mean that any alternative for FlashPlayer is no good, do I read that correct?
Bogomips wrote:Anyhow, where do you get the tgz from?
palemoon.org > Download > Pale Moon > Pale Moon for Linux > Browse All Files > 24.7.2 2014-09-13
That redirects to http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/ ... or more precise, http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/files/24.7.2/.... and my bad, I confused tgz aka tar.gz or here: tar.bz2, with txz :oops:
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#13 by Bogomips » 11 Oct 2014, 20:29

:roll:
Rava wrote:
Bogomips wrote:Structurally was meant.
Oh you meant just the creation of the module, yes, that's right, there should be no issues between 386/486 and x86-64...
Not just the creation, but the getting of the right(latest) tgz for the right architecture, and I suppose getting the appropriate state-of-the-art flash package.

Rava wrote:
Bogomips wrote:Please understand that PM 25 uses a new GUID and may show incompatibilities with Firefox extensions.
Displace? Me thinks you meant display...
Not in the least! Precisely put: 'html5 player to displace flash [player]'.
Rava wrote:Back on topic, you mean that any alternative for FlashPlayer is no good, do I read that correct?
Not necessarily. Normally use vlc plugin with Greasemonkey ViewTube.
Rava wrote:
root@porteus:~# uname -a
Linux porteus 3.14.15-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 3 12:01:20 Local time zone must be set--s x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.66GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Yes, the timezone issue is... an issue. But wrong thread here... and it seems you have the very same issue than me. :(
Better thread for that would be: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=2770
What r u on? That's my signature :roll:

neko
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: APorteus-FVWM-ja-x86_64.iso

Post#14 by neko » 15 Oct 2014, 06:30

A locale data (ja.xpi,...) for Pale Moon are gotten from
http://www.palemoon.org/langpacks.shtml

Thanks.
Last edited by neko on 16 Oct 2014, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

Bogomips
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#15 by Bogomips » 15 Oct 2014, 13:51

@neko

imo not quite the right forum. Better forum would be http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=51

or http://forum.porteus.org/viewforum.php?f=49

@rava

On 25.0 ;)

PM24.7.2 proved surprisingly stable. Have nvidia graphics card, as you know, and normally mozilla and other browsers tend to crash nouveau driver after a few minutes, but PM24.7.2 went quite a few minutes and did not crash nouveau. :Bravo: Btw was on a barebones kde system. So no outstanding dependencies.