What I like to see

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

What I like to see

Post#1 by Jack » 06 Jun 2014, 03:06

I like to see in the next version Porteus. A version made for Laptop without a CD/DVD writter or player.

same now 000-kernel
same now 001-base
just only 002-xorg remove programs
just only 003-desktop remove cd/dvd software
just only 004-programs
just only 005-cd/dvd software
same now 006- internet browser
same now 007-devel
same now 008-office
same now 009-printing
same now 010-skype

This would be nice and just a thought
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: What I like to see

Post#2 by fanthom » 06 Jun 2014, 05:56

i have a good news:
another porteus specialized edition is being baked and this should be exactly what you need. brokenman has more info so please query him about the details.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#3 by wread » 06 Jun 2014, 23:28

You are almost talking of the aKDEmia Edition. I just don't see the advantages of stripping xorg programs from actual 002.

In aKDEmia the folder 003-kde is made of 102 files, that man could separate into OpSys and Progs in two separate sub-folders; keep it simple, Sam... 8)
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2014, 03:38

I don't think what I have cooking will compete with your aKDEmic version. It looks so cool. What I can say is that I have this thing booting in just over 3 seconds! In a virtual machine.

## EDIT
3 seconds is a pipe dream. This is booting into text mode with no devices initialized ... just a shell.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Jack
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus and Nemesis

Post#5 by Jack » 07 Jun 2014, 06:27

wread wrote:You are almost talking of the aKDEmia Edition. I just don't see the advantages of stripping xorg programs from actual 002.

In aKDEmia the folder 003-kde is made of 102 files, that man could separate into OpSys and Progs in two separate sub-folders; keep it simple, Sam... 8)
I have a Acer Aspire One that don't have a cd/dvd player or writer. They can still have Porteus 3.0 but have away for people like me with a smaller version of Porteus. Then everyone will be happy on DistroWatch Porteus is 61 if you get more linux user using Porteus maybe it will move closer to 1.
I just like Slackware because I think it teach you about Linux to build packages where Ubuntu is like Windows you just install programs you want.