Forensics and rescue

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Forensics and rescue

Post#16 by brokenman » 26 Apr 2014, 18:20

It's desktop environment is a custom one I builtwith an openbox base. Just big easy to use buttons and menus for doing the things people usually have to do in a CLI.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

freestyler
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus XFCE

Post#17 by freestyler » 28 Apr 2014, 00:03

Looks great. Will be a very nice addition to the Porteus family.
https://www.porteus-apps.org

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#18 by Ed_P » 28 Apr 2014, 15:31

!!! Sorry to be late to the party but I just stumbled upon this. A very nice idea.

My thoughts which may be too late but I thought you might find them worth a thought or two.

1. The system should be 486 based to be able to work with the most machines with problems.

2. Being able to save/recover lost files is important.

3. Fixing machines that no longer boot, 90% of which are Windows based: boot.ini, ntldr, NTDETECT.COM, bcd, bcdedit for backup and restore, bios, mbr, uefi.

4. Restoring backups of the system. Many vendors include a hidden partition on the hdd for reinstalling the system.

5. Partitioning the hdd. I partition most systems to have 3 user partitions. 1 for the OS, 1 for the user's data files (downloads, pictures, music, Favorites, etc) so the OS can be restored or reinstalled without loosing user's files, and 1 for backups, Windows backups, utility backups like CloneDisk, DriveImage XML, Ghost.

6. Recovering/resetting passwords. This can be touchy if a spouse or parent is trying to look into someone else's machine.

Anyways, my $0.02 worth.
Ed

advb69
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus Mate V3

Post#19 by advb69 » 28 Apr 2014, 22:02

I often use a slightly outdated version of Parted Magic at work. It used to be free but isn't any more - which is why I'm stuck with a slightly old version!

This version of Porteus should be a great alternative. I assume that it would include "badblocks" as well as the utilities listed in the other posts. I'd probably tend to use the more advanced features but it makes sense to keep these separate - as long as it isn't too hard or take too many clicks to get to them.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#20 by brokenman » 29 Apr 2014, 14:29

1. The system should be 486 based to be able to work with the most machines with problems.
Agreed

2. Being able to save/recover lost files is important.
Absolutely. With a focus on images, documents, video and music.

3. Fixing machines that no longer boot, 90% of which are Windows based: boot.ini, ntldr, NTDETECT.COM, bcd, bcdedit for backup and restore, bios, mbr, uefi.
This would come under advanced user, but the ability is there.

4. Restoring backups of the system. Many vendors include a hidden partition on the hdd for reinstalling the system.
If you mean restoring a windows install then sorry, this must be done from within windows.

5. Partitioning the hdd. I partition most systems to have 3 user partitions. 1 for the OS, 1 for the user's data files (downloads, pictures, music, Favorites, etc) so the OS can be restored or reinstalled without loosing user's files, and 1 for backups, Windows backups, utility backups like CloneDisk, DriveImage XML, Ghost.
Partitioning is available as is creating images from partitions.

6. Recovering/resetting passwords. This can be touchy if a spouse or parent is trying to look into someone else's machine.
Resetting of windows accountpasswords is available.

Anyways, my $0.02 worth.
Your input is worth way more than the expression gives it credit for. :)
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.