Porteus changing distro

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus changing distro

Post#16 by brokenman » 22 Jan 2014, 12:48

@phhpro the list was chosen from distrowatch's most popular i believe.

For some people, changing base would not mean a thing. I mean to say, if you live in a desktop environment everything would probably look exactly the same as it does. The difference would be for those that like to pop the hood and get their hands a little dirty.

Thanks for all the feedback. There are some really good points being made and i am enjoying this thread. Keep in mind we want to remain a lightweight distro which is stable.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

RamonTavarez
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: 32 bit, KDE

Post#17 by RamonTavarez » 22 Jan 2014, 13:29

Hi

My preference is still Slackware.

A goal to reach can be the understanding of the Slackware's pkgs and comlete the process Slackware -> Porteus.

I think that, as a community, we can work to prepare ourself to port for any distro's pkg to Porteus.

We must work together to support all the modules that exist. Of course different users will have differents interest.

Additionally I want to suggest: Don't change the distro's, don't change the distrio, but rather to add the possibility of using other additional distro keeping the one that we already have.
Ramón E. Tavárez

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#18 by sean » 22 Jan 2014, 13:51

Friends,

Am I missing something? I'm assuming a vote is cast via a "reply" to this thread. Correct?

The thread shows 18 votes with only 17 posts. Several of the "replies" although perhaps "mentioning" a distro name, are merely explanations and answers to questions.

By my count the poll should actually show:

Slackware 6
Debian 2
Arch 1
Ubuntu 1

Total votes 10

Or if I missed a page where one selects a checkbox?, in which case I apologize greatly.

Sean

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#19 by fanthom » 22 Jan 2014, 13:55

@sean
scroll to the top of this page, choose a distro, submit vote or view results.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#20 by sean » 22 Jan 2014, 14:02

fanthom,

Thanks, had to be logged in, of course :-)

I will now take some time off so as to get the egg off my face and pound my head with a hammer for several weeks.

I often wonder about myself :-)

Great Day to everyone and please accept my apology,

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#21 by brokenman » 22 Jan 2014, 14:55

Easy enough to miss if you browse the forum without logging in, or even if you click to go directly to page 2 of the thread.

The important thing is that everybody votes. At the end of the voting period that is what counts. You may only vote once, but you may change your vote at any time.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#22 by wread » 22 Jan 2014, 15:04

Slackware is for me the canonical linux distro; that is why I vote for it.....

Regards!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#23 by ncmprhnsbl » 23 Jan 2014, 06:56

i would like to try all of them, to be able to compare ;)
funny thing is, arch is the only working examples(porteus/arch/sensei and alphaos) other than slackware that i've experienced(concept proved)
apart from various ubuntu, debian puppies(somewhat different to porteus)
as far as arch is concerned, it would mean a six month release cycle is out. more like three, barring some major system overhaul, depending also how
out of date compared with the present and ARM dates you want to go..potential security issues..
Pclos is also rolling, but much slower than arch, less packages, very stable ime..(just updated a 3 year old install, 1 year out of date, no probs)
Don't know enough about Mageia or OpenSuSE, i guess they have well stocked repos...

so anyway, given the choices presented, with nothing against slackware, i voted Debian
logic being: more packages=less compiling , less compiling=more beer morebeer=happy devs :beer:
altho, just because a package exists in the repo doesn't guarrantee that it works, or is up to date..
and i'd like to see how a debianporteus performs...already know that slackware is great..

to turn this around, heres a question for the porteus devs:
if you had use a different distro(for porteus base), what would you choose?
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#24 by fanthom » 23 Jan 2014, 09:46

if you had use a different distro(for porteus base), what would you choose?
i would go with gentoo stable (using everyday on desktop, no problems since last 6 years) and compile every package in portage tree (19k of packages) then move to porteus repo. once a week i would do 'emerge -vDuN world' and push updates to the repo.
gentoo packages are updated frequently - see column on the left (Wed, Thursday):
http://packages.gentoo.org/
(i remember seeing a stats on phoronix showing number of commits in opensource projects - kernel was first and gentoo's portage was second if i'm not mistaken).

unfortunately this approach requires dedicated server just for compilation which we can't afford at the moment.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#25 by francois » 23 Jan 2014, 11:54

As this is all about the limitation of porteus-slackware package pasture, see the possibility provided VicktorNova to access to AUR packages pasture under porteus :
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3058
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#26 by ponce » 23 Jan 2014, 14:12

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#27 by brokenman » 23 Jan 2014, 14:39

LOL ponce.

I knew it all along. Ponce IS George Clooney! The Italian name is just an alias.

ponce
Contributor
Contributor

Post#28 by ponce » 23 Jan 2014, 17:47

well, actually we don't resemble at all :roll:

roelof
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 Gnome

Post#29 by roelof » 23 Jan 2014, 18:32

I choose then Debian.

If we also succeed in porting systemd then it would be much easier for porting modern DE like Gnome 3.10 or Cinnamon in.

Roelof

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#30 by Ahau » 23 Jan 2014, 21:00

ncmprhnsbl wrote: if you had use a different distro(for porteus base), what would you choose?
For a live and modular, publicly distributed OS like porteus, I would probably go with debian due to stability and package availability; there's also a mixed-bag from a dev's standpoint with respect to how they split up source packages into several binary packages. This would help you keep a system small without having to custom compile as many things as we do, but it means keeping track of more bits and pieces (i.e. in order to compile against some packages you have to install the 'dev' package, and in order to get a particular plugin working for gvfs or gimp you have to install a separate package).

If I were looking for a traditional system for my own use, I would probably dual boot something relatively stable and user friendly like Debian or Arch with a custom LFS/BLFS install. While messing with ARM stuff last year I tried my hand at cross-compiling linux from scratch for ARM on an x86 system. While I didn't quite succeed (and I was able to borrow some tools from alienbob to finally get around some roadblocks), I found that my effort tought me a TON about the system, how it works, what packages and tools depend on each other, etc., and it was fascinating. After that exercise, bootstrapping LFS without the cross-compiling challenges should be a snap while also teaching me more. I would not use LFS for a live system setup that I wanted to make available to others.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!