Transferring Personal Configs & Mail From Puppy To Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
jimwg
Shogun
Shogun
Distribution: porteus

Transferring Personal Configs & Mail From Puppy To Porteus

Post#1 by jimwg » 12 Dec 2013, 23:17

Seasons Greetings!

I haven't totally made the switch yet till Porteus passes its shakedown cruise (Puppy's nice but eats up flash space with irreducible memory for one), but one way that can help draw converts from other Linux and Macs and Windows is to make it painless and easy to totally transfer personal configurations and files like SeaMonkey Mail from Puppy to Porteus without missing any mail or mail settings or re-setting its read/download "flags". (Yes, it happens even when painfully moving SM from Ubuntu to Mint...) :(

Jim in NYC

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Re: Transferring Personal Configs & Mail From Puppy To Porte

Post#3 by jimwg » 12 Dec 2013, 23:57

Thanks -- really, I mean that! But it's having to plow through references like that that puts off newbies from trying and moving into new homes like Porteus. Give the devil his due, Steve Jobs made it painless even for klutzy newbies to move their stuff like SeaMonkey from one OS version to the next by automating the process, docs and manuals unseen (like Time Machine), and it's why so many like Macs. I hope such talent takes similar regard of Porteus.

Jim in NYC

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#4 by francois » 13 Dec 2013, 12:42

I imagine that someone will come back to help you. However, between you and me, recognize that you saved on the price of the linux box. Mac attract their fans because their boxes look fancy. However, you almost have to double the cost of the box. We are trying to make porteus as attractive as possible to new users. One thing is sure once your in the community you will be treated like a king, if you also treat others as such. See what is coming for christmas from fanthom one of the distribution maintainers:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2802

I am not sure that you would get as much service on any other distribution. :wink:
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#5 by jimwg » 13 Dec 2013, 14:02

francois wrote:I imagine that someone will come back to help you. However, between you and me, recognize that you saved on the price of the linux box. Mac attract their fans because their boxes look fancy. However, you almost have to double the cost of the box. We are trying to make porteus as attractive as possible to new users. One thing is sure once your in the community you will be treated like a king, if you also treat others as such. See what is coming for christmas from fanthom one of the distribution maintainers:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2802

I am not sure that you would get as much service on any other distribution. :wink:
Yes, I understand, but it's not really a "service" thing as much Porteus fans and converts trying to attract as many non-Linux people to Porteus by helping to make it easy to move into and use and not make it seem a luxury thing to make it do so, like the SeaMonkey Mail import issue I mentioned. One guy on Ubuntu forums once disparagingly called Porteus (and Puppy) "geek platforms" which isn't the true case, but it shouldn't seem that way to those newbies who want to taste and do Porteus. I had home schoolers interested in Porteus's speed and looks last fall till that date-stamp quirk with SeaMonkey and Stellarium scared them off. That's why I'm here trying to be newbie beta-testing and "nit-picking" Porteus so I don't get a repeat performance. There's no reason why Porteus can't soon be top-notch over Puppy and Mint!

Jim in NYC

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#6 by francois » 13 Dec 2013, 15:28

Sadly, I do not work with the same tools as you do. :(

I hope that Axel will be a porteus enthusiast enough to provide you with a more handy solution.

Otherwise your left for now to yourself and you can make a try with a usb key for a few runs as a second system, just to have a feel of the possibilities of porteus os. I would be surprised that you wouln't become a fan too and become eager to contribute to porteus by giving to newcomerws exactly what you would have like to get from porteus.

We are at the step were we gave a lot to build this distribution and we now need people who will be eager to give back.
one way that can help draw converts from other Linux and Macs and Windows is to make it painless and easy to totally transfer personal configurations
We agree that transferability and ease of use are capital issues. We have been doing a lot of job since the begining on that side and we are willing to do some more. But there is a huge amount of job to be done, more fingers on the keyboard are sorely needed. Though some very interesting contributors came in the last years, we are begining to feel the effect of their increasing number in this very last year.

Best regards,
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 13 Dec 2013, 21:09

Steve Jobs made it painless even for klutzy newbies to move their stuff like SeaMonkey from one OS version to the next by automating the process
You hit the nail on the head. This is ultimately what we would like to aim for and every point you bring up is valid (and necessary) for us to advance, so thanks for your input. Once this next version is out of the way (should be in a week or so) I will begin to dig into this. Transferring mail seamlessly has always been a pain, and I would like to try to make it as easy and painless as possible. I stopped using mail clients a few years back but i understand their importance and hope to address this shortly.

What would you judge as being the most widely used?
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

jimwg
Shogun
Shogun

Post#8 by jimwg » 14 Dec 2013, 10:52

brokenman wrote:
Steve Jobs made it painless even for klutzy newbies to move their stuff like SeaMonkey from one OS version to the next by automating the process
You hit the nail on the head. This is ultimately what we would like to aim for and every point you bring up is valid (and necessary) for us to advance, so thanks for your input. Once this next version is out of the way (should be in a week or so) I will begin to dig into this. Transferring mail seamlessly has always been a pain, and I would like to try to make it as easy and painless as possible. I stopped using mail clients a few years back but i understand their importance and hope to address this shortly.

What would you judge as being the most widely used?
Seasons Greetings and thanks for your understanding!

I'd think that the top two cross-platform mail clients -- Outlook and SeaMonkey Mail perhaps -- would be a safe bet, but some Mint mavens claim that it might not be necessary for Porteus to reinvent the wheel because there might already be standard methods of "migrating and importing dynamic files" like mail clients (their words, you'd know what I'm sure) from one platform to the next without resetting their "IMAP flags". I wish there was a way I can help recruit additional talent or assistance for Porteus development, even putting up requests on college and university bulletin boards, but I haven't a clue. I agree Porteus has so much potential that your plate runneth over, but I look forward that any non-cosmetic showcase show-stoppers such as the time-stamp thing will be ironed out in version 3 because I really want to show Porteus off to my colleagues and home schools without a hitch!

Keep up that awesome work!

Jim in NYC