when the installer fails

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
quotaholic
Black ninja
Black ninja

when the installer fails

Post#1 by quotaholic » 08 Oct 2013, 13:34

What is the recommended recovery when the installer fails? I tried building 3.11-2 after patching w/aufs3-standalone and each time (five tries now) I get a corrupted install. The usb stick reboots fine before install. I can test to see all the kernel changes I made but when I go to install it gets ugly. Even though I select "Always Fresh" from the boot menu the usb stick fails to boot after the failed install attempt as it seems to be copying things from the internal drive. Again I am selecting Always Fresh and the usb stick will not boot without inheriting the contents of sda1.

If the install went about 90 percent I can boot to a gui but get errors saying that /dev/sda1 is a system partition. If I select always fresh this last time around it wont get past Skipping /rootcopy in init. Other times it inherits the sda1 problems.

I will use a puppy usb stick to erase the drive then convert back to Porteus to see if manually copying the contents of sdb1 to sda1 have a different effect. Is there a better way to deal with a bad install?

quotaholic

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: when the installer fails

Post#2 by brokenman » 09 Oct 2013, 01:46

Upgrading your kernel (currently at 3.11.4) should be as simple as building your kernel. Copying the vmlinuz into the syslinux directory, updating 000-kernel.xzm following fanthoms HOWTO on the main website and then rebooting. You should need to reinstall as the bootloader is not being upgraded. If you choose to re-install then from a console change into the boot directory and run the installer script.

http://www.porteus.org/tutorials/20-dev ... ernel.html

Maybe I misunderstood your situation.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.