porteus 32bit alpha testers required

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: porteus 32bit alpha testers required

Post#16 by brokenman » 31 Jan 2011, 19:22

@Karis i have fixed the kubuntu reference

@ Blaze
2. Replace this file splash_bottom.png - done
3. Copy kxkbrc from /root/.kde/share/config/ to /root/.kde3/share/config/ - done
4. Open and edit /root/.kde3/share/config/kdeglobals - no need, my current version is fixed
6. KDE > System > network-conf - Set IP address - already fixed
6. I recompiled a window Decoration crystal 1.0.7 - thanks will test it
7. Kmenu -> Settings -> Network Settings: gives warning - already fixed. Entire kde4admin module is overkill.

I left /root/.kde in place while testing. It has come in handy. Will remove before release.

a) http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6493/snapshot2ma.png - looks ok for me
b) http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3057/snapshot3bo.png - The slax is an optical drive. Nothing to do with iso. Have removed floppy.
c) http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6483/snapshot4k.png - mime looks ok to me. I must have fixed it
e) http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4131/snapshot6cc.png - already fixed (see above post)
f) http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9076/snapshot7r.png - I have gdb here for testing, but won't be included in release. no need.

9. This file My_Documents (open in kwrite) /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/ in the wrong charset. (need to UTF-8-encode)
Please open this file and check charset. My version already has UTF-8

Thanks for testing ... very good, very thorough!!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#17 by Ahau » 31 Jan 2011, 22:47

roadie wrote:brokenman,

I get the same error as quax...........I'm unable to boot into Kde as of yet..........Lxde starts fine. This is the error I get with Konqueror in Lxde: Could not open library '/usr/lib/kde3/kio_http.la'.
libgssapi_krb5.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Porteus modtools is not creating a config file because it's trying to create it in /root/.kde/share/config/slaxscripts........rather than porteus-scripts.

EDIT:
I got Kde to start......had to run xwmconfig.

roadie
I haven't tried running xwmconfig yet, but I was also unable to get into kde when trying to boot from an iso. I didn't want to change my bootloader on my main usb stick, so I put the iso in /ISO, then tried booting with from_iso=/mnt/sdb1/ISO/porteus...alpha.iso. I had it boot me into text mode without changes, and I was able to log in. I ran xconf and startx, the screen flashed something garbled, then loaded what looked like a white console screen with a cursor for a few moments, then it tripped back to text mode. I didn't write down the error message it gave...

I thought maybe it was because I was using a kernel and initrd from a previous version (in my /boot folder from v09 install), so I copied vmlinuz and initrd from the iso into my /boot folder on my usb stick, and the error repeated.

I then extracted the .iso file to a directory (/32a), and booted to that directory with the from_dir=32a cheatcode, /32a/boot/vmlinuz, and /32a/initrd.lz, and was able to boot into KDE just fine.

Not sure if it's a cheatcode issue, an alpha issue, or an 'Ahau doesn't know what he's doing" issue. I've never tried using the from_iso cheatcode before.

Anyway, I can test this some more if you like, brokenman.

Good work thus far! Though, I only had a couple minutes to play...

Posted after 32 minutes 22 seconds:
The answer is, D: None of the above.

This is an issue when booting into the command line and trying to run KDE. To recreate the bug, boot into alpha's text mode, enter root/toor, then xconf and startx.

Codes given mention something about xauth: /root/.Xauthority (doesn't exist maybe?), and mentions resizing to my current screensize, then "connection to X server lost". I'm paraphrasing here, and my apologies for the very bad note taking (bad debugger! bad!).

Running with the same settings, except adding autoexec=xconf;telinit~4, gets me in to the KDE login screen.

My guess is that this is related to your new login procedure, where one must enter root/toor to start KDE.

I am still using Syslinux from my v09 install. Here's my .cfg entries:

(causes bug)

Code: Select all

LABEL text
MENU LABEL 32-bit Alpha Text mode
KERNEL /32a/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/32a/boot/initrd.lz from_dev=/dev/sdb1 from_dir=32a
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus in textmode and start
    command prompt only
ENDTEXT
(works fine)

LABEL xconf
MENU LABEL 32-bit alpha KDE
KERNEL /32a/boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/32a/boot/initrd.lz from_dev=/dev/sdb1 from_dir=32a vga=791 splash=silent quiet autoexec=xconf;telinit~4 
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 by brokenman » 31 Jan 2011, 23:35

Blaze your Crystal theme has been applied. Thanks very much.

Ahau i can reproduce the error here. Will look into it.

Here is the backtrace:

[    38.435] 0: /usr/bin/X (xorg_backtrace+0x3b) [0x80e6d0b]
[    38.435] 1: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x5daf5) [0x80a5af5]
[    38.435] 2: (vdso) (__kernel_rt_sigreturn+0x0) [0xb7778410]
[    38.435] 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xb720b000+0xc0765) [0xb72cb765]
[    38.435] 4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so (0xb720b000+0xc0ce5) [0xb72cbce5]
[    38.435] 5: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0xbbe95) [0x8103e95]
[    38.435] 6: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x83e7d) [0x80cbe7d]
[    38.435] 7: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x1292b2) [0x81712b2]
[    38.435] 8: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x12bb06) [0x8173b06]
[    38.436] 9: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0xa45c8) [0x80ec5c8]
[    38.436] 10: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x16d247) [0x81b5247]
[    38.436] 11: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0xa1266) [0x80e9266]
[    38.436] 12: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so (0xb7354000+0x3899a) [0xb738c99a]
[    38.436] 13: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x1af6c) [0x8062f6c]
[    38.436] 14: /lib/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main+0xe6) [0xb7411c66]
[    38.436] 15: /usr/bin/X (0x8048000+0x1aaa1) [0x8062aa1]
[    38.436] Segmentation fault at address 0xc
[    38.436] 
Fatal server error:
[    38.436] Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
Here is the patch to fix that problem. Can you please stick it modules folder and reboot to try the process again.

X-Factor
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#19 by X-Factor » 01 Feb 2011, 10:26

will start testing tomorrow have to sort out my 2 usb first, before downloading it.
I've been confine to my quarter
http://img143.imageshack.us/i/medusathing.jpg/

Blaze
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: ⟰ Porteus current ☯ all DEs ☯

Post#20 by Blaze » 01 Feb 2011, 12:26

brokenman wrote:Kmenu -> Settings -> Network Settings: gives warning - already fixed. Entire kde4admin module is overkill.
Yes, need to active this module kdeadmin-3.5.12-i486-1.sq4.lzm
brokenman wrote:I left /root/.kde in place while testing. It has come in handy. Will remove before release.
Need to tweak a new configures for kde 3.5.12 trinity.
For example will need to add a autostart for kmix and knemorc-config (about knemorc-config, active this module root-knemorc-config.lzm and then press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace) and then remove /root/.kde

btw if i remove /root/.kde/ and then press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace this folder return again with ~socket-porteus (/root/.kde/~socket-porteus) - need to fix it.
brokenman wrote:b) http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/3057/snapshot3bo.png - The slax is an optical drive. Nothing to do with iso. Have removed floppy.
Why? Need to change a name of distro on Porteus for optical drive.
Download UltraISO for Window$ and rename optical drive on PORTEUS
Please don't remove a floppy.

brokenman wrote:
Blaze wrote:This file My_Documents (open in kwrite) /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/ in the wrong charset. (need to UTF-8-encode)
Please open this file and check charset. My version already has UTF-8
In kdebase-3.5.12-i486-1.txz the same problem with My_Documents. The encoding does not right (not utf8). http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/ ... apSbfQyzAI

Please edit this file for Russian users.

Watch this video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Kks81OQ9k

HOWTO:

Open /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/My_Documents

Find

Name[ru]=Документы
Replace with

Name[ru]=Мои документы
A new bug report.

1. Many bin files are missing in /usr/bin/

For example

You can find missing files in the module kdebase-3.5.12-i486-1.sq4.lzm

2. http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8166/snapshot3m.png

3. I don't have a sound then i boot up with help VMware Workstation.
Last edited by Blaze on 01 Feb 2011, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Linux 6.6.11-porteus #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Jan 14 12:07:37 MSK 2024 x86_64 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6 @ 3.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
MS-7A12 » [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600] [1002:73ff] (rev c7) » Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 K2 3200MHz C16

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#21 by Ahau » 01 Feb 2011, 13:09

brokenman wrote:
Here is the patch to fix that problem. Can you please stick it modules folder and reboot to try the process again.
Works like a charm. Booted into text mode, entered root/toor, xconf, startx, and kde started up. No prompt for username/password again at kde startup, as one would expect.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#22 by brokenman » 01 Feb 2011, 19:29

Thanks Ahau .. did you test with ISO?

@Blaze
Yes, need to active this module kdeadmin-3.5.12-i486-1.sq4.lzm
Already done (see above post) I only need to copy 'backend' folder from module.
Need to tweak a new configures for kde 3.5.12 trinity.
Already done. Thanks
btw if i remove /root/.kde/ and then press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace this folder return again
This is a system function and i don't want to mess with it. I'll do some testing but i think it will stay.
Why? Need to change a name of distro on Porteus for optical drive. Download UltraISO for Window$ and rename optical drive on PORTEUS
I understand now. Aaargh! wind0ws! The script i use to create an ISO still had slax reference, thats all. (fixed)
In kdebase-3.5.12-i486-1.txz the same problem with My_Documents. The encoding does not right (not utf8)
I can't see the problem.

bash-4.1# file --mime /usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/My_Documents
/usr/share/apps/kdesktop/Desktop/My_Documents: text/plain; [b]charset=utf-8[/b]
If Russian isn't showing it means ALOT of other languages are prob messed up too. I'll have to fix this.
keditfiletype: You can find missing files in the module kdebase-3.5.12-i486-1.sq4.lzm
These were stripped with kedit. I have pulled them back into 004-kde thanks. (fixed)
Already fixed (see above post)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#23 by Ahau » 01 Feb 2011, 21:18

No, I just booted in text mode. Will incorporate it into an .iso and test when I have a chance.

Thanks!

Posted after 1 hour 46 minutes 48 seconds:
I just tested an .iso, and it works there as well.

And: look, ma! I made my first .iso!

Burninbush
Power user
Power user

Post#24 by Burninbush » 03 Feb 2011, 20:18

Just today got around to trying the 32b alpha. Did my usual routine of making a subdir and copying /boot and /porteus into it, then used grub to boot into it. Immediate multiple problems.

-- X display will not start. Even after copying a known good xorg.conf into /etc/X11, still won't start. Thinking that maybe you are using the nouveau nvidia driver [which won't work on my gf6200 vid cards] I got and compiled the latest nvidia driver. Still won't start KDE, but got into LXDE OK ?? Visited here and found the startx patch, after which I'm now able to start KDE Trinity. This would be a killer problem for any noob.

-- suggest that you provide a matching nvidia driver at the same time as a release -- video too slow to use without it.

-- KDE does not load Kmix to system tray -- no speaker icon. But will start from K, Multimedia. As usual for Slax, the mixer gui is wrong for my aged SB Live Value card. I usually solve that by adding KDEMultimedia -- but does that exist for Trinity?

-- suggest that Beep be linked as the default app for mp3 and wav files. Clicking on a .wav brings up Kplayer, which won't then play it. Beep does them both. I know it's old, but it works.

-- had trouble getting detailed list view to work in Konqueror [Home icon], but after selecting text mode [which worked] then detailed list view can be invoked. Maybe I missed some first-run app?

I'll wait for the next release. Don't understand why a new KDE is needed, when V09 is working so well; I understand the desire to keep improving things, but every programmer oughta have a reverse gear too.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#25 by brokenman » 03 Feb 2011, 20:46

Thanks for testing bb. Your input is highly valued.

I've made quite a few changes to the alpha and will release an svn trunk soon for testers to get updated versions of alpha. I apologize ... but there was bound to be bugs as moving from KDE to Trinity was quite a task (for me). That's why i released an alpha to testers only.

Nvidia driver will be available at time of final release. Kmix has been added to tray. kdemultimedia has always included in porteus, but the version from trinity breaks remix so i have stayed with previous version.
I agree beep should be default, will add that in. I turned off the first run KDE setup as porteus is a live disk and will run on every boot. You can invoke it from the settings menu 'Desktop setting wizard'.

"I understand the desire to keep improving things, but every programmer oughta have a reverse gear too."

Anything standing in the river while water rushes passed gets worn down. Sometimes it is best to go with the flow. There are new features being introduced to slack that will eventually force the upgrade of KDE so we figured it was best to get it done now.

For those that like new things, check out the KDE4 style menu by right clicking on Kmenu and choosing 'Switch to kickoff menu'

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#26 by fanthom » 03 Feb 2011, 21:25

"Don't understand why a new KDE is needed, when V09 is working so well"
example: KDE-3.5.10 is compiled against libpng-1.2x branch. When Pat decide to drop 1.2.x then using of KDE-3.5.10 may be difficult. same for all other libs and apps in general.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Btown
White ninja
White ninja

Post#27 by Btown » 16 Feb 2011, 13:01

@all
looks like i miss the boat again like remix 9/porteus 9, i'm flabbergasted with the latest KDE :Yahoo!: :Bravo: :good:

I think Koffice has limited abilities, can't read all of my doc n docx files,
so have to start from zero again for all of my files, able to read xls files which is good

will test pmt ~ merge ~ on porteus 9 it hang.

Somebody has a strange sense of humour with the bootsplash

Edit//
The good news is internet connection or downloading files aren't effected.

now for the bad news

trying to merge modules give me this error
could not open network socket
please check that the "DCOPSERVER" progress is running
It take a while to open konsole

when trying to copy n paste dmesg
this is the error
Could not regular with DCOP
Actuallu i fib a tad bit, if you wait over half an hour you can power off/reboot but still can't close windows/(desktop???)

hope this help

Posted after 9 hours 15 minutes 52 seconds:
Can't be sure this should be here, but here goes

http://pastebin.com/Za4FGRe7

My best gues is it try to look for HDD instead of usb.

back soon to double check.
Portable n flexible ~ My kind of OS

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#28 by Ahau » 16 Feb 2011, 16:36

@btown and @brokenman
I've found the error in porteus module tools.

porteus module tools lives at: /opt/porteus-scripts/modtools. Open this file in kwrite.

Modify the second line of the script, which reads:

CONFIG="/$USER/.kde/share/config/slaxscripts/modtoolsrc"
so that it reads:

CONFIG="/$USER/.kde/share/config/porteus-scripts/modtoolsrc"
It's an old reference to slax, which was preventing the creation of the config file. Without the config file, porteus module tools won't properly save the destination of your modules folder, which must be called later when you are asking to merge. This bug actually applies to a number of the tools inside porteus module tools, and should be fixed in the next version.

Also, there's a file (at least in 32-bit alpha) at /usr/bin/modtools.sh, which is full of slax references. I think it's an old version of /opt/porteus-scripts/modtools, and can be removed (but brokenman, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks!

Posted after 2 hours 34 minutes 2 seconds:
there's another reference to slax in modtools, here:

#######################################
PORTEUS MODULE TOOLS - by Brokeman
#######################################
Upon first run, this script will ask you to point the way to your slax optional 
modules folder. You will only be asked this once and a config file will be placed at:
After a brief chat with fanthom, it sounds like the usr/bin/modtools.sh file is a command line version of modtools, and should stay. It has many references to slax as well, and deserves a once-over before v1.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#29 by brokenman » 16 Feb 2011, 21:21

Thank guys. I believe i fixed this (modtools) in the SVN version. Are you using it?

To correct above ... the new KDE stores in /$USER/.kde3/share/config

I havn't yet update the CLI version of modtools, will get this done. Thanks for reminding me.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#30 by Ahau » 17 Feb 2011, 19:00

brokenman, here's what you have in the script in SVN:

USER=`whoami`
CONFIG="/opt/porteus-scripts/modtoolsrc"
CONFPATH="/$USER/.kde3/share/config/porteus-scripts"

Am I wrong here, or should CONFIG be /#USER/.kde3/share/config/porteus-scripts/modtoolsrc, correct?