How would a Porteus "Server Edition" look like?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Kriss
Samurai
Samurai

Re: How would a Porteus "Server Edition" look like?

Post#16 by Kriss » 19 Feb 2014, 03:29

I use virtual servers based on Porteus for some time now.
They have 000+001 in base and rc.sshd,rc.font,rc.keymap in rootcopy (and empty /etc/issue file to better see boot messages)
Servers that are working at the moment:
xmpp (prosody + lua)
http(s) (nginx + php + misc) (sometimes php-cgi process crashes and I have to restart it)
domain controller (samba4 + misc)
teamspeak3
old fileshare (samba3).

I can upload them (stripped of private data) somewhere if this will help. They're far from being ideal, but they're working.

Here's my 2 cents (although I think this is mostly relevant to virtual servers):
I check sda1 for necessary files in rc.local because usually that's the only drive I add to my virtual machine. But checking for drive label would be better IMHO.
Main reason for me to use Porteus as a server is the fact that it consist of archives and a bunch of configuration files so I'm sure that only these config files can be the source of the problem. And to prevent further problems I use ISO files.
Sometimes I add checks in rc.local to execute commands (also for ssl certificates and to copying additional files from /conf/rootcopy) from "/mnt/sda1/conf" to be able to tune server in the future. This way in case of problems I can always wipe data disk and get fully operational clean server. Probably checking for partition labeled "config" would be better...
:unknown:
Suggestions/corrections/additions are always welcome.