Suggestions for enhancing the porteus 2.1 Wizard

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 RC1 KDE / LXDE

Suggestions for enhancing the porteus 2.1 Wizard

Post#1 by Saman » 04 Jul 2013, 07:38

Although I believe that It is not a piece of cake because of conflict of dependencies, however I think that further to options provided on Wizard: https://build.porteus.org/
there must be few more options available to choose from.
1. email client (opera can cover this), please suggest your favorable client
2. Torrent client (opera can cover this), please suggest your favorable client
3. Please add sea monkey having fireFTP add-on to browser list as it easily covers the need for FTP client and Email client
4. music player: Dead beef (recommended for LXDE and xfce) please suggest your favorable player.
5. adding Gnumeric to Abiword in office selection as both of them share few dependencies, Also please add Calligra office for KDE (I do not know if Calligra works on new kde too) Calligra may help kde users to keep the total iso size lower.
6. image editor: I believe that your previous packages (except KDE) suffer from lack of a good and yet simple image editor so some people may need it basically.
7. Bluetooth: this facility was only available for KDE users, how about make it an option?
8. Video player, Although VLC is 2 times bigger than SM player / Gnome Mplayer but it is more sophisticated.
9. Disk burner: K3b, Brassero, pburn (based on DE)

** I hope that you can prepare MATE for 2.1 too, I do not know whether we have to put samba along with MATE in 2.1 version?
All these, I can not bear to witness any longer. Can not the kingdom of salvation take me home?
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: Suggestions for enhancing the porteus 2.1 Wizard

Post#2 by Hamza » 04 Jul 2013, 11:46

Do you know Porteus Package Manager ? :shock:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 04 Jul 2013, 13:39

We are trying to keep the webwizard code (and functions) to a minimum for its debut and therefore offer just the basics. For anything else please use the Package Manager which should pull all required dependencies.

Mate-1.6 will be added to the wizard for v2.1 and samba is not included, but recommended if you use networking a lot. You can install this via the Package Manager or slackyd. Thanks for the suggestions, we may implement some of them in other ways.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by Saman » 06 Jul 2013, 04:28

Guys!, Come on!
@Hamza,
Sure I know the ppm, As far as I know you prepared the wizard to have a customized ready out of the box iso file. :wink:
@Brokenman
My suggestions are not extraordinary, It is obvious that many modules can be downloaded from ppm later.
1.most of people require an Email client even more than VOIP program or a Torrent client
3. Seamonkey can be added alongside with opera, chrome, firefox as it easily covers lack of email client with the great essence of Firefox
5. some people with slow internet speeds may want to lower the total volume of resulting iso to be as low as possible, Imagine that you are using kde and if you want to get libreoffice it would take 92mb while if you provide calligra office on wizard (which only works on kde) that would be only 35mb. so it can compensate the heaviness of main KDE. moreover adding gnumeric to abiword would add around 4-5mb but it really worth :wink:
7. I wonder that you provide support for printing and some developer tools but you do not like to add bluetooth as an option! when you already added a facility to kde but you drop it from others it causes an inequality between packages, however this is your porteus and you know better than me how to prepare the packages :pardon:
2,4,6,8,9 ok omit them

p.s. can I have gnome too?? :oops:
All these, I can not bear to witness any longer. Can not the kingdom of salvation take me home?
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#5 by Hamza » 06 Jul 2013, 10:19

I wonder that you provide support for printing and some developer tools but you do not like to add bluetooth as an option!
Oh yeah ... this is a valid argument. waiting on others.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by Saman » 06 Jul 2013, 10:29

Dear Hamza,

I almost forgot to ask you add farsi (persian) keyboard layout option to wizard :)
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#7 by fanthom » 06 Jul 2013, 13:19

1.most of people require an Email client even more than VOIP program or a Torrent client
i think that majority of people have the browser opened all the time (chrome OS is the future) so gmail in bookmarks is kind of solution
3. Seamonkey can be added alongside with opera, chrome, firefox
we would like to focus on most popular apps - what's the browsers market share for seamonkey?
Imagine that you are using kde and if you want to get libreoffice it would take 92mb while if you provide calligra office on wizard (which only works on kde) that would be only 35mb.
we would like to include in the wizard only apps which are desktop agnostic (otherwise would have to gray it out in 4 cases of 5). calligra is kde4 only.
moreover adding gnumeric to abiword would add around 4-5mb but it really worth :wink:
yes - this could be done
7. I wonder that you provide support for printing and some developer tools but you do not like to add bluetooth as an option!
same reason as with calligra: it would have to be grayed out for kde4 as this DE has it's own stack.

generally speaking: problem of the wizard comes to the number of deps which are doubled across the desktops and additional modules. example: printing requires python (which is huge) and the same python would have to be included in bluetooth stack as blueman requires it. skype requires qt (also huge) which is doubled in razor.
the solution is to split all the deps from additional modules and let the wizard to resolve them same as PPM does.
wait - we have PPM for this task so what's the point of doubling this functionality in the wizard?

we may enhance wizard functionality in areas like cheatcodes covering (which mostly are system and desktop agnostic) and other system functions. again - most of them are covered by PSC already so i would be careful with this.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#8 by francois » 06 Jul 2013, 14:44

Without being complacent, I agree completely with fanthom. I have the impression that what is more important is not that much the number of utilities, but the fact that they reach the greatest numbers (i.e. there is PPM).

Objectives for the wizard: 1) à la carte DE, browser mainly, 2) good looking and attractive and 3) hyper functionality. Keep it simple.

This said, your suggestions saman are really welcome. Be eager to propose some more. 8)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#9 by Saman » 06 Jul 2013, 15:27

Dear Fanthom,

Thanks for your reply, and paying attention to my post :Rose:

>> Regarding the email client, as you know most of people may have limited access to internet this force them use email clients to access their emails
e.g. Claws mail does not take much deps and it is lightweight in contrast with Thunerbird but it is your choice whether add it or not to wizard, some people may deploy it somebody not.

By referring to your Idea about gmail and bookmaking, you can omit pidgin, as many websites offer the same qualities such as "imo.im" or "plus.im"

>> Seamonkey is unfortunately underrated while it is really great, people may forgot netscape that provide same qualities and learned them forget Internet Explorer safely. Just imagine that You can add "FireSSH" as an ssh client, "FireFTP" as an FTP client, "DownThemAll!" as a download manager and use imo.im or Yonno instead of Pidgin, and "FoxTorrent" instead of a torrent client and of course an email client and a web browser only by adding 23 mb + few more to your iso. Seamonkey is a one-man army :Yahoo!:

>> Regarding Calligra, I exactly knew that it is not desktop friendly, however it can compensate the big size of KDE 4.10

>> Regarding the Bluetooth, I am new to Porteus and I thought it is made of the following and there is no Python required. :oops:
bluedevil-1.2.3-i486-1
blueman-r708-i486-1
bluez-4.99-i486-2
bluez-firmware-1.2-i486-1
bluez-hcidump-2.4-i486-1
libbluedevil-1.9.2-i486-1
This is all because I did not try to make it from deps for my own.

>> As a reminder, I really appreciate If you add Farsi/Persian keyboard layout selection into wizard.

p.s. Are you using Gnome or Mate on Porteus 2.1 ? :D
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#10 by Hamza » 06 Jul 2013, 17:43

As a reminder, I really appreciate If you add Farsi/Persian keyboard layout selection into wizard.
This can done within a minute for me but I need the identifier of this language and make sure it's compatible with 'kmap' cheatcode. Fanthom is author of kmap cheatcode.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2013, 22:41

moreover adding gnumeric to abiword would add around 4-5mb but it really worth
It would be nice if it were that easy. Gnumeric will drag in python, Goffice, libgsf and more as run time dependencies. This complicates things as per the explanation above. Please understand that we want to keep maintenance as simple as possible as Porteus chews up a lot of the maintainers time. This functionality would best be served via PPM.
Gnome or Mate?
Mate is a fork of the deprecated gnome2. We are using Mate-v1.6

I am looking into the monkey collection now to see the difference in weight.

Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#12 by Saman » 07 Jul 2013, 15:51

Thanks for adding Farsi keyboard layout to wizard.
meanwhile, previously I tried to make gnumeric for slax and I did not need python and as I thought porteus and slax have many things in common so I assume that sharing many similar deps between Abiword and gnumeric will create a small package overall, sorry I am new to porteus :unknown:
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 by brokenman » 07 Jul 2013, 20:48

previously I tried to make gnumeric for slax and I did not need python and as I thought porteus and slax have many things in common
I will look at gnumeric again because I too remember compiling it for Razorqt desktop and not needing python. If it is viable I will look at it for final.

Saman
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by Saman » 08 Jul 2013, 05:31

Dear Brokenman,

I tried to make gnumeric and these are all deps:

Slacky i486 » gnumeric-1.10.17-i486-1sl.txz
libgoffice0.8_8-0.8.17-3
libGConf2_4-3.2.6-3
libORBit2_0-2.14.19-8
libpcre1-8.32-9

totally cost me 12.3 MB that can be compressed more...
-Cliff Burton R.I.P.-

Lukas
White ninja
White ninja

Post#15 by Lukas » 10 Jul 2013, 14:15

How about adding a feature - when you hover over a browser logo it would pop up its version, for example Firefox 23.
And an option to choose more than one browser module - for example Firefox and Chrome.

btw Would You update browsers modules on a regular basis, without waiting weeks for next stable version of Porteus?