LXDE -> Version 2.1 RC1.5 :)

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

LXDE -> Version 2.1 RC1.5 :)

Post#1 by Ahau » 20 Jun 2013, 14:52

Following the release of Porteus version 2.1 RC1 a couple weeks ago, there were a lot of bug reports and feature requests for LXDE; there were also a number of things still on my "To Do" list that didn't make RC1. I've been hammering away at it and I think I've put all the pieces back together. Given the large number of changes, I'd like to get some additional testing done prior to the official RC2 release. Thus, I've created and uploaded some new LXDE modules and dubbed this unofficial release "RC1.5".

Download:
32-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... 5-i486.xzm
64-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... x86_64.xzm

Here's my changelog:

- set pcmanfm "super user mode" to open inside /root instead of /home/guest (thanks, sean!)
- disabled mousebinding that switches desktops when you scroll up/down on the desktop; Alt+scroll up/down still works for this. (thanks, sean!)
- added several new keyboard bindings for opening applications (thanks, saneks!!)
- changed application menu button to the porteus logo (let me know if you'd like a little spacer to the right to help set it apart from the other icons down there)
- added 'openbox-menu' and modified the openbox right-click menu; it should now update dynamically (thanks, ncmprhnsbl) (there are a lot more things I could add to this menu, feel free to make suggestions)
- fixed 'pxf-sound' so it always opens in the center of the screen
- added new theme: zukitwo-ob, modified it a bit to match the Evolve color scheme
- replaced udisks1 with udisks2 and added sysvinit script to add "comment=x-gvfs-show" to all devices listed in /etc/fstab so these devices will stay visible in the left pane of pcmanfm. NOTE: external devices that are automounted will now be mounted in /run/media/$USER/$UUID rather than /media
- recompiled gvfs for udisks2 support
- updated libfm and pcmanfm to latest stable (1.1.0 for both)
- updated menu-cache and lxpanel to latest versions from git to fix a problem with menu-cache
- changed 'activate' and 'deactivate' to include a restart of /usr/libexec/menu-cache/menu-cached. There are lots of changes going on with the panel so please test that everything is working properly and you aren't losing all menu items or having your panel disappearing when activating modules, etc.
- added scrot (plus imlib2 and giblib as deps) for screenshots
- wrote a new 'gtk-scrot' gtkdialog front end for screenshots; bound it to the Print Screen Key and added a desktop file so it shows up in the menu
*- created ~/.local/share folder so applications can create files there to track recently used files
*- added missing mplayer config file
*- updated gmtk to latest SVN to fix repetetive popus about subtitles
*- added mpg123 so that audacious-plugins would get built with mp3 support
*- recompiled gvfs with samba support, so if you add and use samba, your shares should show in thunar/pcmanfm
*- added tigervnc 1.1.0, recompiled to remove additional deps (gnutls, nettle, p11-kit)
*- recompiled all packages; fixed a few package names (to include 'Ahau' tag) and optimized all 32-bit packages for size (that had already been done in 64-bit)

(NOTE: lines starting with an asterisk (*) are changes that will also apply to the XFCE edition in RC2)

Since this is not an official RC release along with the other desktops, I'll list all of these changelog items again when RC2 is released.

Please give this a spin and report back on this thread with any bugs or other issues, and I'll work on those fixes so we have an even more solid RC2 and final release.

One other thing: A couple folks mentioned that pcmanfm doesn't look any different when you open it up as root vs opening it as guest. While the two do look very similar (and now when you open as root it will start off in /root), there is one difference: When you open pcmanfm as root, there is an icon showing keys near the top left corner, just under "File". I don't see any configuration options to make the window look different otherwise.

Thanks!!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

donald
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge
Distribution: Porteus 3.2.2 XFCE 32bit

Re: LXDE -> Version 2.1 RC1.5 :)

Post#2 by donald » 20 Jun 2013, 16:01

@Ahau
{pcmanfm doesn't look any different when you open it up as root ]

Try to use a different Font for root

EDIT:
to be a little more helpful
if I remember correctly slitaz4.0 stable, is using pcmanfm too,
maybe a look at it will help.
Last edited by donald on 21 Jun 2013, 14:46, edited 3 times in total.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#3 by sean » 21 Jun 2013, 00:17

Ahau,

Nice work on identifying User mode PCManFM vs Root mode PCManFM. You would think there would be a way to have some permanent "root" title in the Title Bar, but that's for another day. Your fix is good.

I couldn't see any difference with the scroll-wheel action causing movement to another desktop. Seems it is/was still there. I fixed that problem here by commenting out 2 x 6 lines of code in the /home/user/.config/openbox/lxde.xml file. Here is what I did:

Code: Select all

605    <context name="Desktop"><!--
606      <mousebind button="Up" action="Click">
607        <action name="DesktopPrevious"/>
608      </mousebind>
609      <mousebind button="Down" action="Click">
610        <action name="DesktopNext"/>
611      </mousebind>
612      --><mousebind button="A-Up" action="Click">
and

646    <context name="MoveResize"><!--
647      <mousebind button="Up" action="Click">
648        <action name="DesktopPrevious"/>
649      </mousebind>
650      <mousebind button="Down" action="Click">
651        <action name="DesktopNext"/>
652      </mousebind>
653      --><mousebind button="A-Up" action="Click">
and this seems to be working well for me

Sean

n2prtsusr
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 2.1 lxde 130809

Post#4 by n2prtsusr » 21 Jun 2013, 05:13

i activated devel.xzm worked fine went to logout menu was missing (logout was there)
this didn't affect me otherwise, I don't use changes

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#5 by ncmprhnsbl » 21 Jun 2013, 11:59

- changed 'activate' and 'deactivate' to include a restart of /usr/libexec/menu-cache/menu-cached. There are lots of changes going on with the panel so please test that everything is working properly and you aren't losing all menu items or having your panel disappearing when activating modules, etc.
upon activate/deactivate...losing all menu items excpt for 'run' which doesnt work and logout which does,
openbox-menu outputs 'empty'....... everything else looks good, nice gui for scrot.. :)
(always fresh 64bit)
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#6 by Ahau » 21 Jun 2013, 16:08

Thanks guys!!

regarding the problem with the menu going blank after activation: I put 'activate' and 'deactiate' in the wrong spot (they are supposed to go in /opt/porteus-scripts with symlinks in /usr/bin and I just put them right in /usr/bin, so it was working from the command line but not in gui). I've uploaded a fix here:
http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... s-6-21.xzm

I also make a small tweak to the openbox menu, I misspelled 'multimedia' in one spot so none of the multimedia applications were shoing. I suppose one could say the reason for this additional testing release was to find my stupid mistakes and it sounds like we're making progress :D

@donald -- I took a look at Slitaz and they do indeed have a banner that pops up to warn that you're using the program as root. However, this is also an annoyance to those who run as root all the time (I removed a very similar banner from Thunar in Xfce for this reason), so maybe there's a good balance in here somewhere. Slitaz may be using pcmanfm-mod or some other custom patching to accomplish this; the 'help' file reflected that it was pcmanfm 0.5.2 which is four years old, so it might also be an older feature somewhere. i'm not very familiary with their build system so it's hard for me to see exactly what they're doing but I'll keep looking.

@sean -- please double check that you don't have another lxde.xml file overriding the one in the new module. If you have one in another module that is loaded after the rc1.5 module or in your saved changes, that might cause this to happen. I went through that file and it appears I've deleted those lines entirely.

@ncmprhnsbl -- I tested and I'm getting all 'empties' when I log in to openbox, but everything seems to be working in lxde. Two of the entries show 'empty' there, and they actually are empty. I'm less and less enthusiastic about my approach here, because I also realized that there are three other 'top level' categories that get defined in menu-cache that I missed (development, education, and universal access), and since menu.xml is static, I would have to have five menu entries that showed (empty) if I want to support all applications. Even when I tried to set things back to normal, openbox was complaining of invalid output from openbox-menu, and I'm not sure the cause (perhaps it's the newer menu-cache package?) I'll keep working on this as well...

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#7 by ncmprhnsbl » 25 Jun 2013, 00:49

This might be the same thing that broke openbox-menu in arch....
If i use "Applications">"openbox-menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu", which is redundant because this is the default directory,
it works in OB, but doesnt update,
also, dmenu doesnt update either in OB.... something missing from openbox-session that lxsession handles?
Tried out a couple of other menu scripts with no result(invalid output) even in lxde..

Heres something i discovered while checking out pipemenus:
you can bind any menu id(listed in menu.xml, but not necessarily present in root-menu) to keybinds or mouseclick or combination...
for example, (lxde-/rc.xml)

<!-- Keybindings for menus -->
    <keybind key="W-space">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>root-menu</menu>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="W-n">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>audcon</menu>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="W-b">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>40</menu>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="W-A-space">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
        <menu>desktop-app-menu</menu>
      </action>
    </keybind>

and..

<context name="Root">
      <!-- Menus -->
      <mousebind button="Middle" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>client-list-combined-menu</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>root-menu</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="W-Right" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>desktop-app-menu</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="A-Right" action="Press">
        <action name="ShowMenu">
          <menu>40</menu>
        </action>
      </mousebind>
    </context>
which gives direct access to lxapplications pipe or openbox submenu with modified rightclick.
or whatever you want....
Totally missed the 'mutlimedia' , even edited that file :) ....... W-m keybind i suppose....

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#8 by brokenman » 26 Jun 2013, 14:06

I stumbled upon this which you may find useful. It is from the maker of simpleburn and slackware live.

YAMPO: XDG menu pipe generator for the Openbox window manager

http://sallu.tuxfamily.org/-Desktop-utilities,7-
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#9 by sean » 26 Jun 2013, 23:40

@Ahau,

You are correct. I did a fresh/virgin install and I can see you have deleted those lines from the rc.xml file, and the scroll-wheel is behaving nicely. Sorry for any confusion I may have created.

Sean

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#10 by ncmprhnsbl » 28 Jun 2013, 04:02

@brokenman re: yampo ..very nice, works nicely in lxsession, though some menu entries are hard coded(browser etc, exit etc)
so some tweeking of the yampo.c before building would be necessary. A config file is in the TODO list....
But, in openbox-session, it seems to suffer the same problem as openbox-menu ie no update after 'activate module' ....
just looking at lxtask, one difference(between lx and ob) is lxpolkit.... could this be related?
and this? http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?pid=19657#p19657

also.. lxappearance theme color adjustment doesnt work in ob-session(ok in lx)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#11 by Ahau » 28 Jun 2013, 14:40

@ncmprhnsbl - the issue with the menu not updating on a module update may be due to the fact that openbox doesn't have an entry in /opt/porteus-scripts/{activate,deactivate}.

Try running:

rm ~/.cache/menus/* 
/usr/libexec/menu-cache/menu-cached
update-desktop-database
And see if the menu is up to date after that. If so, we can find a way to sniff from ps whether or not openbox session is running (while lxsession isn't) and add an entry to activate and deactivate (note that if you try this yourself and you have one of my "fixes" activated, you might have to make the same modifications to /usr/bin/{activate,deactivate} since I screwed one of them up lol).

I'm not really sure what the theme color adjustment is all about...perhaps that one is related to lxpolkit or something else.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team

Post#12 by ncmprhnsbl » 30 Jun 2013, 05:38

@Ahau yep that 'd be it,
the tricky bit being 'openbox-session' merely starts 'openbox' which also runs in lxsession(and razor) giving duplicated actions and some extra menu-cached s
after some bash guessery , this seems to get by without errors:

# Update OpenBox menu:
obuser=`ps -C openbox -o user=`
lxduser=`ps -C lxsession -o user=`
if [ "$lxduser" ]; then
    exit 0
else
    if [ "$obuser" -a -e $CACHES/desktop ]; then
        echo "Updating OpenBox menu: rm ~/.cache/menus/*; update-desktop-database"
        for x in "$obuser"; do su --login $x -c "rm ~/.cache/menus/* > /dev/null 2>&1; /usr/libexec/menu-cache/menu-cached > /dev/null 2>&1"; done
        update-desktop-database
    fi
needs a razor entry, if this is correct....
openbox-menu now updating .... and yampo.. :)