MATE desktop for Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: MATE desktop for Porteus

Post#16 by brokenman » 26 Jun 2013, 22:47

i cant change to Lxde in sessions menu, if i put Lxde module too, the same with other desktops, only mate the change session or logout dont work very well.
Ok so this is the login manager slim, not a part of MATE but i made the change from GDM to SLIM because GDM didn't allow autologin to root (which some people requested). I'll look deeper into how to change sessions, or perhaps go with LXDM login manager if it works.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 26 Jun 2013, 22:53

Thanks for reacting promptly. :)

Slim is a good choice and from I read is more amenable to root mode. I will try to find some doc on that unless you already have the references.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#18 by brokenman » 27 Jun 2013, 01:13

Can you tell me how to reproduce the error in the screenshot? Is it simply logging out and logging back in as a different user? I can't seem to reproduce this.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by francois » 27 Jun 2013, 10:49

If you are talking about the gdbus error, it seems to have vanished. It is not there on the new installation that I made on my MSI 340X. Did you modified the mate module?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#20 by brokenman » 27 Jun 2013, 16:59

No i havn't altered anything on the server. Furthermore, dbus-python would not cause the error in question. This is a polkit error. Please let me know if you see the error again, run the porteus info wizard and upload the result. Thanks.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#21 by UrUtusUbU » 27 Jun 2013, 22:06

no dbus-python is another thing, forget this,
the error is only dbus without python, i dont know if polkit too,
dbus of distro is version 1.4, is a little old,
like automake, some programs search for version, 13, 12, and 11, the instaled,
i get this error sometimes and i compiled a new dbus and bye error,

i cant reproduce the error, is fixed :)
i not login rightnow,
i have autologin in to root, but you need reconfigure some files in /etc/rc.d, you know
i never use guest

dont worry about change to Lxde, thanks

i see more error,

this is very normal

Code: Select all

Gtk-Message: (for origin information, set GTK_DEBUG): failed to retrieve property `GtkRange::trough-side-details' of type `gboolean' from rc file value "((GString*) 0xa0de430)" of type `GString'
if you press Contr + alt + F1 you can see, sometimes,

are 2 rc.inet1 repeats, 1 in core & 1 in xorg modules. are the same
and 2 nsswitch.conf 1 in core & 1 in xorg diferents

in module mate you have xml2po, but if you start module devel is overwriter with another xml2po old, and some repeats libs

/usr/local/sbin dont are in the patch,

the contextual menu for make modules dont work for me

no more :)

i like the wallpaper, is like a wave, when a wallpaper of you surfing :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#22 by brokenman » 28 Jun 2013, 00:52

Thanks UrUtusUbU.

The error here is somewhere in the gtk2 theme. I am having trouble finding what needs changing but it doesn't affect functionality. I will eventually track it down. I'll double check the context script for making a module from a folder and pass on the rc.inet info.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#23 by fanthom » 28 Jun 2013, 01:12

are 2 rc.inet1 repeats, 1 in core & 1 in xorg modules. are the same
they are not exactly the same as copy in 002 is not executable (Network Manager takes over the job)
and 2 nsswitch.conf 1 in core & 1 in xorg diferents
will double check that

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#24 by UrUtusUbU » 28 Jun 2013, 23:34

ok i do not look at the permissions i forget,
there are more things repeated but only libreries with same version, if you want i would make a list a day of these,

When I double click in a module it unzips but not install,
this is new or is a bug?

Many bugs are of Porteus rc1 not Mate, not sure if it is the correct place for posting but at the moment i only use Mate.

RC1 is based on slackware 14 or the current version?
or a mix?

Spectacular the porteus wizard page, great great

Thanks to you

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#25 by fanthom » 29 Jun 2013, 00:46

there are more things repeated but only libreries with same version, if you want i would make a list a day of these,
duplications are allowed in browsers/office/printing modules (we still have not decided if should merge extra libs with core) so if you found anything other than that then please share.
Many bugs are of Porteus rc1 not Mate, not sure if it is the correct place for posting but at the moment i only use Mate.
please use rc1 thread for bugs not related to Mate:
http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=2222

thanks
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#26 by brokenman » 29 Jun 2013, 03:39

When I double click in a module it unzips but not install, this is new or is a bug?
You mean inside the caja file manager? I can't reproduce this. The modules activate when i click on them.

yes RC1 is based on slackware-14.0 however you may find that MATE contains a few newer libraries. I have made a command line available to pick these up (and other bundles. From a console run: pbundle

Spectacular the porteus wizard page, great great.
Yes i think this will be well received when the final is released. Kudos Hamza.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#27 by francois » 29 Jun 2013, 13:37

1) Where is located the background folder, so that I can add some additional wallpapers?
/usr/share/backgrounds (Right click on desktop to choose any file and it will be added here).
Dropping in files works fine. However, there is nothing in the /usr/share/backgrounds file this must not be the place where the wallpapers are held. It does not seem to be in /usr/share/wallpapers neither, as adding files to both these folders does not change the content of Change Desktop Background.
2) In mate module for rc1:
- opening thru panel menu > places > home folder or desktop, opens qmmp application instead of caja.
- trying to open any folder, instead of opening caja, will open qmmp.
Mate doesn't ship with qmmp. Do you have a clean environment? Mate doesn't even have qt-4+ installed. If you have installed these after a fresh mate then some edit may need to be done in mimtypes.list. qmmp has very aggressive mimetype associations.
I am operating mate over kde 64 (fanthom). qmmp is part of kde, I did not install it. This behavior does not happen when I click on the folder icons on the desktop (i.e., computer or home folder), it happens thru the panel menu:
panel > places > home or desktop selection only.

In addition, after a search with the search tool (panel > Search for files) using Open folder with right click, the qmmp with open too.
3) Where is located the autostart folder, so that I can put in my language and dual display scripts?
Should be in the home folder. I am at work right now but please search home folder for xscreensaver.desktop. This is in the autostart folder. To start a script you may also use the 'startup applications' (forget exact name, I'm at work) in the system menu. After adding your scripts save the /home/guest/.config/dconf/user file to rootcopy.
I found /etc/xdg/autostart. Putting my script files in there does not work. :(
4) I have got wifi password prompt box opening repeatedly about every 3 to 4 minutes, although I am on wired network (I am using kde 64 bit rc1)
Not sure about this since KDE doesn't use networkmanager like all the other desktops. Perhaps ask in the bugs thread if you think this is a bug in official rc1 release (with KDE).
This is an intermittent behavior. I do not know why. I will report rc1 if I can pinpoint it better.
Thanks.

Thanks.

5) It would be nice to be able to run the executable files without having to choose after prompt box, run. Is this possible? I have tried to do so thru:

In file manager (caja I imagine) > edit > preferences > behavior,

though Run executable text files when opened is selected, instead of Ask each time, the file does not run at a click.

This is going on on root and guest mode.

6) If possible, please remove the "applications" label for the mate panel principal menu list and just leave the icon. It takes place in the panel. Personnally, I prefer only one panel on the screen, as on laptop the screen is smaller. In addition, it would be nice that the window could cover.

7) With mate there seems to be no save changes effect as in kde de. Is this normal?

8.0 In guest mode for:
Panel > system > administration > caja (superuser)

The error message is:
Failed to run caja --no-desktop --browser as user root.

9) Panel > system > logout root > switch user:
Does not work.

I have tried archwiki solution but they propose solutions only for lightdm or gdm:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE
Troubleshooting User Switch

If you are not using MDM (Mate Display Manager) user switch is disabled, to enable create the symbolic links.
LightDM

# ln -s /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm/gdmflexiserver /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver
10) Do you think it would be a better thing to have nemo instead of caja, see:
http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=198

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#28 by brokenman » 29 Jun 2013, 21:43

Thanks very much Francois. Looks like you gave mate a good probe. This is exactly what i need. You've definitely identified some stuff that i need to fix. I'll address some of these as best i can in the short time i have at the moment. (have to go drink some beer at a party :beer: )
/usr/share/backgrounds file this must not be the place where the wallpapers are held.
Only the default background (already known as porteus.jpg) will show up in the 'add backgrounds' GUI.
The reason is each image showing requires an xml file along with the image file in order to show there.
You can download the mate-backgrounds file and install it to see what i mean.

pbundle update
pbundle get mate-background
You can still add any image you want as a background and have it permanent by saving the dconf/usr file to rootcopy (see below).
I am operating mate over kde 64 (fanthom). qmmp is part of kde, I did not install it. This behavior does not happen when I click on the folder icons on the desktop (i.e., computer or home folder), it happens thru the panel menu:
In that case this is either an upstream bug (looking like it) or something with xdg. I'll dig a little further. qmmp has given me grief in the past.
Two fixes for now may be to remove all un-needed mime-types from qmmp.desktop. If you don't use qmmp to open folders then remove the mimetype action.
I found /etc/xdg/autostart. Putting my script files in there does not work.
This folder only handles .desktop files. You could add put a .desktop file there and point to the scripts in the Exec= line or
you could use the preferences/startup applications menu to add your startup script which will automate this process.
For permanence please see below about the dconf/user file
In file manager (caja I imagine) > edit > preferences > behavior,
I got this to work by creating a script, then right clicking on it and setting an application to open it with.
Right click > open with other appliaction > use a custom command > browse and select /usr/bin/bash
Then set the same preference in Caja under behaviour (to just execute the file)
I will add this mimetype in the next release so scripts are opened in /bin/bash or xterm.

6) If possible, please remove the "applications" label for the mate panel principal menu list and just leave the icon. It takes place in the panel. Personnally, I prefer only one panel on the screen, as on laptop the screen is smaller. In addition, it would be nice that the window could cover.
This is possible by editing some menu files. I'll look into it. Having a window 'over' the panel s not supported, but you can autohide it by right clicking on the panel and looking through properties.
With mate there seems to be no save changes effect as in kde de. Is this normal?
You mean the changes-time script? In my copy of this i open /opt/porteus-scripts/changes-time and on line 30 remove: $changes/home|
Now running the script picks up changes in the home folder. All mate specific changes are stored in a config file at $HOME/.config/dconf/user
This is a binary file. You can extract the contents with:

dconf dump / > /tmp/settings.txt
After changing something to your liking you can reload it with:

dconf load / < /tmp/settings.txt
After making changes to mate (either manually or through dconf-editior) you can save your 'user' config file in rootcopy.
8.0 In guest mode for:
Panel > system > administration > caja (superuser)
The error message is:
Failed to run caja --no-desktop --browser as user root.
I must have already fixed this because i can't reproduce it on my machine, but i remember seeing it in the past.
9) Panel > system > logout root > switch user: Does not work.
Yes i believe the mate-display-manager (fork of gnome-display-manager) must be installed for this. Unfortunately i havn't seen it being developed for v1.6.
If i can compile it and get login=root to work with it i can replace slim login manager with it.
10) Do you think it would be a better thing to have nemo instead of caja, see:
I really prefer to stick with native apps. Caja was forked from nautilus in the same way especially for mate. I will try to compile nemo in the future and take a look but i foresee problems as it is designed to run under cinnamon which uses much more recent libs.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by francois » 29 Jun 2013, 22:03

Thanks for providing all these solutions.

What I meant was the save changes folder provided by menu.lst cheatcode, which will have the applications running at the next bootup.

But finally, you gave me the cue. :D

It is in:
panel > system > preferences > startup applications > options.

In guest mode:

1 g ) system > preference > screensaver > only one screensaver, selecting distort and preview:
Warning messages appear on the display while the screensaver is running.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#30 by francois » 29 Jun 2013, 23:26

3) Where is located the autostart folder, so that I can put in my language and dual display scripts?
Should be in the home folder. I am at work right now but please search home folder for xscreensaver.desktop. This is in the autostart folder. To start a script you may also use the 'startup applications' (forget exact name, I'm at work) in the system menu. After adding your scripts save the /home/guest/.config/dconf/user file to rootcopy.
-I found /etc/xdg/autostart. Putting my script files in there does not work.
- startup application does not work to start to get the scripts going at bootup