MATE desktop for Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

MATE desktop for Porteus

Post#1 by brokenman » 16 Jun 2013, 20:52

Here are the screen shots

Here is a high definition video

Here is a low definition video

I'll post a link the the module soon. Simply replace your existing 003-desktop.xzm module in your base folder and your good to go!

Reply if you have an interest in the gnome environment for Porteus.

EDIT: #################

Here is the 32bit module.
Here is the 64bit module.

Mirror:
32bit
64bit

NOTES:
1) You will need the Samba module from repo to browse network in filemanager.
2) I've included a 'bundle manager' which can be accessed from a terminal by typing: pbundle
These bundles work out of the box and have all deps included. Mostly for 32bit at the moment. (e.g command: pbundle list media)
GTK was compiled with debug so there be error messages spat out. Nothing I've seen affects functionality.
3) If you prefer a different theme then use:

Code: Select all

pbundle get mate-icon-theme-faenza
pbundle get mate-theme
This will over ride the current modified and HIGHLY stripped icon theme i am using, and give you some other themes. You can then check them out in the System/Preferences/Appearance menu.

Known bugs:
1) Something funky with power management. When left to go to screensaver, then left some more the screen blanks out and doesn't return.
2) Connect to server (windows share) isn't functioning but browse network shares in file manager (caja) does the job.
3) /var/run/slim.auth is not created fast enough and gives an very fast error just before login. It is created some seconds later.

Some applications I've included are: deadbeef media player, brasero DVD burner, claws email, engrampa archive manager, a decent text editor, udevil mount manager, gparted, grsync and a nice terminal.

This is my desktop of preference. It is stable, has much functionality (with a small footprint) and is actively being developed. It appears it will be actively developed at least for the next few years according to reports. Enjoy.
Last edited by Hamza on 17 Jun 2013, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added mirror
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: MATE desktop for Porteus

Post#2 by sean » 16 Jun 2013, 23:10

Oh Yeah!

Table's set, wine glass is full, silverware in place, napkin on my lap, ...............
please pass the Porteus Mate.

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by sean » 17 Jun 2013, 14:42

Is Mate going to be plugged into the Web Wizard?

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by sean » 17 Jun 2013, 19:41

Known bugs:
1) Something funky with power management. When left to go to screensaver, then left some more the screen blanks out and doesn't return.

Could not verify, did not have this problem with one try only. Let desktop stand idle for 39 minutes. Bouncing Cows was predominant screensaver, followed by Distort, and a full screen fine checkered background tried on several occasions to break thru, less than a second each try.

Noticed when Distort was running the following message was showing through on the left of the screen:

distort: can't parse BACKGROUND using black.
distort: can't parse FOREGROUND using white.
(same repeated twice each respectively) then:
warning: color named "BACKGROUND" is not defined.

I'm using my desktop with Porteus Mate 2.1-rc1 on a 4 gig thumb drive. Using AC power from wall outlet. Power management set to "Put display to sleep when inactive for: 30 minutes" (that did not happen)
Screensaver set to "Random/blank after 10 minutes/cycle after 10 minutes".

Sean

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#5 by Hamza » 17 Jun 2013, 20:31

Is Mate going to be plugged into the Web Wizard?

[ "mate" == "stable" ] && return 1 || return 0
NjVFQzY2Rg==

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#6 by sean » 17 Jun 2013, 21:38

Please don't think I'm jumpin down your throat on this, I just had some time today and went at it. I love this Mate desktop and hope only to be helpful.

1) No persistence. All my computers are pure Linux, no windows anywhere. I use conky and it is one of the first apps I install. I put a .conkyrc and a .muttrc in my home directory. On the desktop I had a text file of this very information. All were lost on a "restart". This happened twice. Conky worked fine before restart.

2) I like a one click mouse. Caja default is Single click, but it is not effective and you must double click. Setting Caja to Single click is a tricky process. You must use System/Preferences, File Management to set it to Single click with yet another caveat. You have to set it to Double click and then immediately set it back to Single click. After all that Single click seems to be working.

If you try to set this preference from a Caja session Edit/Preferences/Behavior and set it to Double click, the dialog box along with the application will vanish (like magic :-).

3) Take Screenshot is in Applications/Accessories & Applications/Graphics.
Claws Mail is in Applications/Internet & Applications/Office.

4) Wow, looking around, I just noticed there is no "changes" directory under porteus. Well that answers some things.

My mom always said: "We gotta iron out all the wrinkles", :-)

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 by brokenman » 17 Jun 2013, 23:03

Don't feel your being an inconvenience. On the contrary, you are finding valid bugs BEFORE an official release. This is what release candidates (RC) are for.

1) Conky worked fine before restart.
This is good news. The disappearing act will be due to a lack of saving changes.

2) This is a valid bug (see below) that was reportedly fixed 2 months ago. Looks like the fix was applied just after the mate-1.6 release. I'll pull the latest from github and recompile to see if it has been resolved.
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-fi ... issues/104

3) I always struggle with what section to put them in. Any suggestions? For now you can remove one using the menu editor.

4) This is normal. The changes directory is created when you first use the cheatcode. This ensures it is created exactly where you want it.

TIP: When making changes that you want to test with mate, you can make the changes and then copy the user config folder to rootcopy.

cp -a --parents /home/guest/.config/dconf/user /mnt/sdaX/porteus/rootcopy
The -a means preserve all, the --parents will create all the sub directories if they don't already exist. This will save your changes (to mate) for the next reboot. If you want to revert just delete the file.

Congrats on the first bug squash (2). I doubt i would have found this.

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by sean » 17 Jun 2013, 23:33

3) Take Screenshot is in Applications/Accessories & Applications/Graphics.
Claws Mail is in Applications/Internet & Applications/Office.

3) I always struggle with what section to put them in. Any suggestions? For now you can remove one using the menu editor.

My suggestion; put Take Screenshot in Applications/Accessories, put Claws Mail in Applications/Internet. And if accepted, it may be my one and only legacy :-)

I don't ever remember being in /porteus without seeing, base, changes, modules, optional, and rootcopy directories all present. I've got a long way to go :-)

Did you see my comments about power management and screensaver?

Sean

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 by brokenman » 18 Jun 2013, 00:16

My suggestion; put Take Screenshot in Applications/Accessories, put Claws Mail in Applications/Internet.
Done

I saw the screensaver comment and can confirm this by starting xscreensaver-demo from a guest console. There is also a libgnome.so warning there which i am working on. Thanks.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 by brokenman » 24 Jun 2013, 23:53

Things are looking good for future of MATE.
http://slackblogs.blogspot.com.br/2013/ ... sults.html

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#11 by francois » 25 Jun 2013, 01:34

1) Where is located the background folder, so that I can add some additional wallpapers?
2) In mate module for rc1:
- opening thru panel menu > places > home folder or desktop, opens qmmp application instead of caja.
- trying to open any folder, instead of opening caja, will open qmmp.
3) Where is located the autostart folder, so that I can put in my language and dual display scripts?
4) I have got wifi password prompt box opening repeatedly about every 3 to 4 minutes, although I am on wired network (I am using kde 64 bit rc1)

Thanks.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#12 by brokenman » 25 Jun 2013, 17:56

1) Where is located the background folder, so that I can add some additional wallpapers?
/usr/share/backgrounds (Right click on desktop to choose any file and it will be added here).

2) In mate module for rc1:
- opening thru panel menu > places > home folder or desktop, opens qmmp application instead of caja.
- trying to open any folder, instead of opening caja, will open qmmp.

Mate doesn't ship with qmmp. Do you have a clean environment? Mate doesn't even have qt-4+ installed. If you have installed these after a fresh mate then some edit may need to be done in mimtypes.list. qmmp has very aggressive mimetype associations.

3) Where is located the autostart folder, so that I can put in my language and dual display scripts?
Should be in the home folder. I am at work right now but please search home folder for xscreensaver.desktop. This is in the autostart folder. To start a script you may also use the 'startup applications' (forget exact name, I'm at work) in the system menu. After adding your scripts save the /home/guest/.config/dconf/user file to rootcopy.

4) I have got wifi password prompt box opening repeatedly about every 3 to 4 minutes, although I am on wired network (I am using kde 64 bit rc1)
Not sure about this since KDE doesn't use networkmanager like all the other desktops. Perhaps ask in the bugs thread if you think this is a bug in official rc1 release (with KDE).

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#13 by UrUtusUbU » 26 Jun 2013, 22:24

hi
i probed porteus rc1 with this mate module and devel module, kde out, all in root mode
some error and things:

i get this error all time,
overall changing session or user,
i compiled dbus-1.6.10 and dbus-python-1.1.1 and the error disappeared, compiled without problems

i updated automake to version 1.13.4, the distro haved 1.11, compiled without problems

I tried of compiling a theme for mate but it gives me an error of dependency,
right now I do not remember his name, sorry

I tried of compiling Gambas3 but i get this error,
"/ur/lib/gcc/i386-slack blablablabla cannot find -lvga"
i dont know how to fix
updating gcc? or is a X problem?

i cant change to Lxde in sessions menu, if i put Lxde module too, the same with other desktops, only mate
the change session or logout dont work very well

it is quite very rapid
I got connected to the network for wifi, but with wicd, i installed it, and more things and it was well,
no too much problems all right,
and I could not have tried any more :)
very good job brokenman

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#14 by francois » 26 Jun 2013, 22:39

I get the same error.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#15 by brokenman » 26 Jun 2013, 22:43

Thanks guys.

I will look at recompiling dbus-python. One of the fights i have is running Mate as root. Many applications don't like it.
cannot find -lvga
I have encountered this when compiling another package and changing the LDFLAG before compile fixed it. I will find the change i made and report back. In general i would stick with the gcc that comes with Porteus as we stay close to slackware.

Mate is using slim login manager. I will look at the options to switch desktop sessions but for this release we went with popular opinion and decided on a 'one desktop' schema. You can reboot into another desktop but changing session will require some edits. Probably just login to console, change symlink in /etx/X11/xinit/xinitrc to point to your preferred desktop and startx again. I'll check when i am at home.

There are still small bugs and issues as Mate is a relatively new desktop for Porteus, but i believe it will become more stable and more popular. It will certainly be actively developed well into slackware 14.1.