Porteus Web Wizard

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Porteus Web Wizard

Post#1 by Hamza » 04 Jun 2013, 22:15

Hi all!

Along with the release of Porteus 2.1 RC1, We have prepared an automated web wizard that will allow you to download a customized iso with the Desktop environment, browser, and other modules that you choose. You can also customize cheatcodes, user passwords, and more! Please give it a shot and report your feedback on this thread.

Link: http://build.porteus.org

Thanks! :)
The Porteus Development Team
NjVFQzY2Rg==

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Re: Porteus Web Wizard

Post#2 by sean » 05 Jun 2013, 00:49

I've tried 4 times with the Wizard on a 244.5 MB build, they have all suddenly stopped at 88MB, 85MB, 75MB,and 97MB. Don't know if it's me, DL traffic, or what.

This is what I had built:

32bit
GUI
LXDE
TZ=New York
Keyboard=USA
Sound=25% (good thinkin on this option)
password
Chrome
Abiword
Development Tools
Printing Support

Total = 244.5 MB

My Download speed is slow anyway (I'm kinda cheap :-), 1.5 Mbps

I'll keep trying,

Sean

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by sean » 05 Jun 2013, 01:12

Hamza,

I'm getting about 8 to 10 minutes, then the download stops. I just lost the 5th attempt at 88MB.

At 10:52 here, 2:52 UTC, I lost my 8th attempt at 93MB of a 244.5MB file. ETA for my build is 28 minutes and the DL stops between 8 and 10 minutes. DL speed is 1.5 Mbps.

Wondering if there is anyway to do an integrity check on such a uniquely built .iso. I'm using Mate for this DL and the pop-up window for the DL says it's a 278 MB file as opposed to the wizard totalling out at 244.5 MB. If a DL would finalize here at, say 260 MB, how could I be sure of the integrity? Just a thought, don't mean to be buying trouble.

Sean

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 05:39

I just had a successful download of an xfce+printing iso, took about 4-5 min to download here. I've tried the same options sean listed above and it downloaded that as well. I think the size estimator is a little off all around. The wizard said 244.5, the actual size is the 278 MB.

Could it be that the wizard is deleting the iso off the server after 8-10 minutes, assuming the download must have completed by then?

One other minor issue - when you open the advanced tab and don't change default user from guest to root, then click on guest in order to change guest password, you have to click the guest button two or three times before the password dialog opens up.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#5 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 10:19

I'm getting about 8 to 10 minutes, then the download stops. I just lost the 5th attempt at 88MB.
That's a server-side security which blocks the running script which is delivering your ISO. Will need to have a look.
Wondering if there is anyway to do an integrity check on such a uniquely built .iso.
Will try to implement checksums integrity feature.
One other minor issue - when you open the advanced tab and don't change default user from guest to root, then click on guest in order to change guest password, you have to click the guest button two or three times before the password dialog opens up.
Thanks for reporting.
I think the size estimator is a little off all around. The wizard said 244.5, the actual size is the 278 MB.
Will fix this as soon as possible.

Thank you all.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#6 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 12:27

Implemented md5sum checksum.
Can't reproduce this bug.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#7 by brokenman » 05 Jun 2013, 12:29

Perhaps a tooltip during mouseover of the download link with the md5sum? Or even better would be to have it written under or next to the size.

I have had no problems downloading ISO, but none took more than 8 minutes. Hamza please post when you have fixed the time limit for download as many people use 1.5-2Mb/s around the world. Then there is latency and congestion to consider.

My main complaint:
This makes things TOO easy for users. Soon linux won't be cool anymore because anyone will be able to use it!
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#8 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 12:32

Perhaps a tooltip during mouseover of the download link with the md5sum? Or even better would be to have it written under or next to the size.
Written under the download link.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#9 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 14:21

The bandwidth problem is now fixed.

The download speed is now 5 times faster, at least for me 8)
NjVFQzY2Rg==

sean
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by sean » 05 Jun 2013, 16:14

For me.

Download success,....but......

Same build as mentioned above,
Download time: 27 minutes
Speed: 1.5 Mbps
Checksum: perfect
Size from wizard: 244.5 MB
Actual size: 291 MB

Used Unetbootin to load it onto a 4 MB USB stick sdb1 formatted ext3 sized 1.77GB.

I let it boot from default (first menu entry).
It apparently loaded the modules and then I received the following code/without the asterisks:

*Porteus login: /usr/sbin/lxdm: line 31: /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary: cannot execute binary file
*/usr/sbin/lxdm: line 31: /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary: Success
*/usr/sbin/lxdm: line 31: /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary: cannot execute binary file

the second and third lines above were then repeated alternately 9 times followed by:

*INIT: Id "x1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

after 5 mintues I got the same code repeated alternately 10 times, with another disabled for 5 minutes msg.

This happened with the file I downloaded with the wizard. I have not yet tried booting with the copy to ram menu option, however it is my intention to do so.

Sean

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#11 by Hamza » 05 Jun 2013, 16:19

It apparently loaded the modules and then I received the following code/without the asterisks:
That's not related to wizard.
Size from wizard: 244.5 MB
Actual size: 291 MB
Working on a fix.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 16:39

@sean, I'm wondering if perhaps the architectures got mixed somewhere and a 64-bit lxde module got placed in your 32-bit iso. Please boot to text mode and let me know the output of 'readelf -a /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary' EDIT: 'file /usr/sbin/lxdm-binary'

Thank you for your patience and help!!

EDIT: One more note: If you don't need to change your timezone settings when you boot from the default ISO's, then your computer's system clock is set to 'localtime' and you should leave the timezone setting at "Factory". You should only specify a timezone if your system clock is set to UTC and you need to have an offset applied (for example, if you're in the US Pacific timezone and it's 9:00am, and with the default settings your clock shows as 5:00pm). most systems are set to localtime. We're working on putting a note on the wizard to make this more clear.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#13 by Ahau » 05 Jun 2013, 19:17

@all -- we identified the problem with 32-bit lxde (it was, in fact, downloading a 64-bit module instead of the 32-bit one) and the issue has been fixed. Please try again. Thanks!

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#14 by att » 06 Jun 2013, 06:22

Hi everyone,

I guess you fixed it already, but when I wanted to download the build, the download always stopped during the last 10-40 MB of data.
My web browser was Opera, but I switched to Firefox and it seems to work better.
One of the "completed" downloads (from yesterday) has an ISO where I cannot extract the "print-module" correctly, despite Firefox said that the download was finished properly.

Average download speed was and is, still, 450 kilobytes/sec, so it always takes about 8-10 minutes to download.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#15 by ncmprhnsbl » 08 Jun 2013, 05:30

web wizard appears to be functioning properly, giving correct download sizes, and allowing
for slow downloaders (180 kb/s)
downloaded and installed xfce64(122mb) and razor64(166mb) (desktop only,drivers and firefox added post install) with no problems
nice work!
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44