Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

Post#16 by brokenman » 06 Jun 2013, 01:14

Firefox comes with the default download of Porteus so it wasn't included in the repository. I have added it now for convenience. Thanks for the feedback.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Pedro
White ninja
White ninja

Post#17 by Pedro » 06 Jun 2013, 02:18

Hi
I tested razor 64bit edition

No firefox? I have only found the links browser
I placed nvidia module in modules folder but it's not loaded at startup

Thanks

sean
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Porteus v3.0 LXDE i486

Post#18 by sean » 06 Jun 2013, 03:06

Initial findings of Porteus ver 2.1 rc1
32 bit
LXDE

EXCELLENT !!!!

So, when you put out such a fine product and ask for feedback it just plain gets down to "picky". You can expect with rc2 that it will be "nit-picky". :-)

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1) Presently LXDE ships with the "scroll-wheel desktop change" action enabled. This is done in the OpenBox lxde-rc.xml configuration file found in /home/guest/.config/openbox. I have found no way to undo this binding in Openbox Configuration Manager. Seems it can only be done via editing the lxde-rc.xml file.

Using the scroll-wheel near the edge of a window, and then accidently moving outside that window while continuing to scroll can result in what looks like the window disappearing, when in actuallity the user has inadvertently changed desktops with the mouse-wheel action. Or, simply not paying attention and accidently moving the scroll-wheel will cause a desktop change. The user would naturally think the program crashed, when in fact the user has moved to another desktop leaving an open application behind.

This can be very confusing to the user. Sometimes they don't realize what happened. Often they never associate the behavior with the mouse scroll-wheel. However, the biggest issue, IMHO, is that it is so very easy to do.

Unless the Openbox Configuration Manager updates to include a toggle for this action, I suggest this mouse-binding be disabled by default in future releases of Porteus LXDE. (only the action specific to the mouse-wheel. The action combining the Ctrl+Alt+Wheel, or the Alt+Wheel should be left active by default)

Super-Users use the keyboard anyway, so it should be no problem for them to key-in moving desktops. Others, mouse concentric users, can use the desktop switcher in the panel. Inbetween folks can use both, C+A+Wheel or A+Wheel.

The above is picky, I will admit, the following is not;

2)

User mode PCManFM as opposed to super user mode PCManFM is virtually indistinguishable. The file manager window is identical for both, and they both open in the /home/guest folder. In addition the title bar of the file manager window shows the exact same name in both user and super user mode, "guest". This could be addressed so when the super user mode file manager is in use the title bar would reflect "root".

Sean

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by att » 06 Jun 2013, 06:56

Now that the download works, I'm trying out Porteus 2.1 RC1 , 64bit, razor-qt version.
Wonderful!
I just have a minor hassle with the Desktop switcher. I need more than 2 desktops. I cannot find a configuration option anywhere where I could select the number of desktops.
Any help?

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#20 by att » 06 Jun 2013, 07:03

Addendum: VNCSERVER does not want to start up.

guest@porteus:~$ vncserver -geometry 1280x1024
Couldn't start Xvnc; trying default font path.
Please set correct fontPath in the vncserver script.
Couldn't start Xvnc process.

06/06/13 11:02:42 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.10
06/06/13 11:02:42 Copyright (C) 2000-2009 TightVNC Group
06/06/13 11:02:42 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
06/06/13 11:02:42 All Rights Reserved.
06/06/13 11:02:42 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on TightVNC
06/06/13 11:02:42 Desktop name 'X' (porteus:1)
06/06/13 11:02:42 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
06/06/13 11:02:42 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
06/06/13 11:02:42 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
06/06/13 11:02:42 URL http://porteus:5801
Font directory '/usr/share/fonts/Type1/' not found - ignoring

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'
06/06/13 11:02:43 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.10
06/06/13 11:02:43 Copyright (C) 2000-2009 TightVNC Group
06/06/13 11:02:43 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
06/06/13 11:02:43 All Rights Reserved.
06/06/13 11:02:43 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on TightVNC
06/06/13 11:02:43 Desktop name 'X' (porteus:1)
06/06/13 11:02:43 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
06/06/13 11:02:43 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
06/06/13 11:02:43 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
06/06/13 11:02:43 URL http://porteus:5801
Font directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/' not found - ignoring
Font directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/' not found - ignoring
Font directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/' not found - ignoring
Font directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/' not found - ignoring
Font directory '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/' not found - ignoring

Fatal server error:
could not open default font 'fixed'

guest@porteus:~$

Cyril
White ninja
White ninja

Post#21 by Cyril » 06 Jun 2013, 07:38

Ahau wrote: 1) I'm not able to reproduce this on my end, are you using saved changes (perhaps saved changes from an earlier version?) or any extra modules? Does it work for one user but not another, or does it work for one session and then fail on a different boot, or is it completely random when it fails? Next time it fails, please open a terminal and run 'pcmanfm ~/' and let me know if that works or what error messages are displayed.
It's in both fresh mode and "saved changes" mode and works always, in any session. I can open the "Home" folder only once, then it stops working. "pcmanfm ~/": for the first time it opens pcmanfm, for the second and subsequent times does absolutely nothing and prints no errors.
Ahau wrote: 2) In both 32 and 64-bit, root and guest, when I maximize pcmanfm, close it, and reopen it from the Home shortcut on the desktop or the pcmanfm icon on the panel, it opens up maximized. Again, if you're using saved changes from an older version, please try in 'Always Fresh' mode and see if it's working for you. We may have to modify or delete some of your settings if that is the case. If you're already in 'Always Fresh' when this problem occurs, please give me the exact steps you take to recreate this so I can test it better and find the solution.
When I do the same as you do, it opens unmaximized every time. And again - it is in both fresh and unfresh mode, with no additional modules - just the fresh system.
Ahau wrote: 3) The subtitles issue in Gnome-Mplayer appears to be an upstream bug in gmtk. To work around this, I've pulled the latest gmtk from SVN and will put this into RC2. In the mean time, you can download the appropriate gmtk module for your architecture:

32-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.xzm
64-bit: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... -1Ahau.xzm

I also noticed that I neglected to pull an mplayer config file into my tree when mplayer was moved into the lxde/xfce modules. That doesn't seem to affect the bugs you brought up, but I've put a fix for that online as well just in case it helps anyone.

http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... config.xzm

You also mentioned something about a piece of mplayer blinking. I think I'm able to recreate that, but I don't yet know the cause. This is what I'm seeing -- when I open gnome-mplayer in full screen mode and left click anywhere on the screen, it opens the controls at the bottom of the screen and there's a flash of a black or gray bar in the upper left corner that is maybe 30 pixels tall and 1/4 of the screen long. Is this the same artifact you're seeing, or is it something else? I'd imagine the subtitles issue was more annoying than this, but I'd still like to fix this one if I can.
The module you provided for mplayer worked, thank you. The message disappeared. Still the blinking remains - and yes, it's the same as you see. Also I believe that mplayer creates a new config file every time it doesn't find an old one. So maybe the absence ot it isn't an issue in this case.
Ahau wrote: In response to your Xfce feedback about thunar -- internal devices aren't displayed on startup because thunar is using udisks2 rather than udisks1. Udisks2 apparently doesn't support this, so the only way I know of to get around it is to create shortcuts like you've done. Also, newer versions of pcmanfm are using udisks2 as well; I've not updated pcmanfm in this release specifically to retain these shortcuts through udisks1. However, as we continue to progress with newer releases, I may upgrade pcmanfm to a more recent version, which would cause these shortcuts to fail in pcmanfm as well, unless another workaround is created before then.
Sorry, a newbie question - what is udisks? And shouldn't a home user see all his drives and have them mounted by default?

By the way, just found another bug in LXDE - sometimes when I unmount a flash drive in pcmanfm, it crashes. And yes, it is the same fresh install and with saved changes.

Thanks a lot for your help.

att
Contributor
Contributor

Post#22 by att » 06 Jun 2013, 08:12

Workaround for Razor-qt desktop switching:
a) Switch to other desktop theme using the razor desktop preferences
b) use middle mouse button to add more virtual desktops
c) switch back to normal desktop theme
Annoying.

More bugs: I cannot start the boot/Porteus-installer-for-Linux.com shell script : "Permission denied".
This only happens in Razor-QT. It works fine in XFCE.

Another quirk: The vncserver/vncviewer is only available in Razor-QT. Not in XFCE.
So the question arises: Which program is available in with GUI-version? - where is the vncserver/vncviewer available at all? And in what GUI-version does the vncserver command work at all, because of proper fonts ?

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#23 by ralcocer » 06 Jun 2013, 12:11

If you try to use the wizard and select the use root account it says that in razor qt you cannot login as root and the system won't ask for password. What is wrong with QT, I have both LXDE and Razor running at the same time , if I logout from one the other will take over, plus I have pcmanfm which I like.

ralcocer
Samurai
Samurai
Distribution: 3.2rc5 Xfce

Post#24 by ralcocer » 06 Jun 2013, 13:30

Since there is no feedback in the Razor module I suggest adding the cpuload to the panel, at least you know if there is something happening, Login as root Chrome won't work.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#25 by Ahau » 06 Jun 2013, 14:26

@sean, feel free to nit-pick away :) I'll take a look a those issues and see what I can come up with for solutions.

@att, I didn't add a vnc package to xfce or lxde yet, but will do so for RC2. You can add tigervnc to xfce for now, I think it's in the Porteus PPM repo and doesn't seem to be affected by the fonts issue. Tightvnc has been borked for a while with that, I'm going to try (again) to get to the bottom of it. Brokenman should be able to help with the default number of desktops in razorqt.

also -- now that you've downloaded again through the wizard, is the print pack working for you?

@cyril, udisks is a program that runs in the background and monitors events like plugging in flash drives. When one is plugged in, udisks is what is called to mount the drive, and dictates what happens through that process. Pcmanfm interfaces with udisks to display the drive and it's contents, but doesn't actually perform the mounting operations itself. I agree that it would be nice to have all of the drives and partitions visible to the user, and I'm not sure if it's a security measure on the part of the udisks2 developers or if it's related to how Porteus starts up and autodetects and mounts drives.

In pcmanfm, if you are viewing files inside a removable device and you click the 'eject' button, pcmanfm closes. They seem to think it's a feature, not a bug, but it takes me by surprise as well. To get around this, navigate to another location outside of the device before you eject it, and pcmanfm will stay open.

Regarding the issues with the Home icon and pcmanfm, there's something going on here but it's hard for me to tell since I can't seem to reproduce it. Please upload /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /var/log/lxdm.log and /var/log/porteus-livedbg to pastebin, and I'll see if I can find anything in there that might shed some light on it.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

justwantin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#26 by justwantin » 06 Jun 2013, 20:16

Firefox comes with the default download of Porteus so it wasn't included in the repository. I have added it now for convenience. Thanks for the feedback
Sorry I didn't have notify tic'd. Firefox didn't show in my menu, only lynx so I thought it was not included as before it had been a module, I'll have to check that again, I just threw in the 008 module from 2.0

gnomic
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Linuxmint

Post#27 by gnomic » 06 Jun 2013, 23:15

Today's silly post - I haven't d/led the RC. However I was lately running v2 Razorqt 32 bit in a live session. I found that as user I was unable to transfer a file from the desktop to a mounted USB stick, unless I used cp at the command line as root. Perhaps someone could verify this doesn't occur in the new version.

During v2 testing I mentioned problems with USB on a Toshiba S300 laptop, whereby connecting or in particular disconnecting USB devices caused the USB bus to stop seeing any devices. I haven't seen this behaviour when running any other distro. It would be nice to get rid of this. Guess I need to get one of the new images and see if it's still happening.

cchuang
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#28 by cchuang » 07 Jun 2013, 01:58

Hi all,

Libcups seems to be removed from 64bit porteus-2.1rc1, but google-chrome depends on this library.

Good job,

cch

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#29 by brokenman » 07 Jun 2013, 02:06

Razor issues addressed:
Number of desktops can be edited in /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml
Lines: 123, 127 and 128

login=root (I forgot to tell our web wizard designer that i removed gdm so he didn't know to remove this warning about root login) Check to see if this has been fixed now in the wizard. In fact of you just download the file without asking for root login by default you can add the cheatcode to your porteus.cfg file. All this will be addressed in rc2 but i ran out of time before release and decided to go with xdm login manager which has the restriction of not being able to swap users.

Since there is no feedback in the Razor module I suggest adding the cpuload to the panel, at least you know if there is something happening, Login as root Chrome won't work
I'd rather not add cpuload to the panel as not all users will have single, or dual core. A limitation of chrome is that you cant run it as root easily. I think i saw a workaround for this on the forum. I think it involved opening the /opt/google/chrome/google/chrome file and adding --user-data-dir to the and of the exec line. While you are totally free to run your machine how you choose. I don't recommend running chrome as root.

Cups is added in the bundle for google-chrome. After activateing please check for /etc/rc.d/rc.cups to verify.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#30 by wread » 07 Jun 2013, 02:47

As expected, I am testing KDE4-32 bits Edition: Super Fine Business! Hurra Fanthom!

But there is no perfect love: there is no CUPS present (usually in 002-xorg) and this module is required nowadays by many applications that use a printer. In my case I could'nt run LibreOffice (nor DraftSight) before I installed a cups module (1.5.4 from Slackware).

Besides, the command line to start the cups-system must be completed with /admin at the end (localhost:631/admin) -a little bug- and before using cups, the daemon must be started (#cupsd) by root.

I don't know why fanthom left cups out then it weights only 2.2 MB. I guess he just moved it to the 007-devel or whaterver and I still don't have it installed.

I am changeing the 32-bits KDE4-UNPHU-Edition at the university against this now official 32-bits KDE4 as of today. Many students have now 64 machines, too, so I can work with the same system in both versions.

This is the best Porteus I ever tried :Yahoo!:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!