Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Re: Feedback and Bug Reports for Porteus v2.1 RC1

Post#61 by francois » 13 Jun 2013, 02:10

Although wired network is connected, I get a message:
Authentification required by Wi-Fi network, password, repeatedly.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

ncmprhnsbl
DEV Team
DEV Team
Distribution: v5.0-64bit

Post#62 by ncmprhnsbl » 13 Jun 2013, 06:45

Used the VirtualBox builder in lxde64 with changes saved file.. downloaded, built, module created and run no problems.
Is it supposed to install in to changes? this is what happened.
Forum Rules : https://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=44

jcuk
White ninja
White ninja

Post#63 by jcuk » 13 Jun 2013, 18:17

> @jcuk I don't think we've put together a Vbox module for 2.1 RC1, but a script is included to build a module [..]
> I think I tested that it started up and downloaded sources but didn't have enough time to let it finish compiling

@ahau:
Unless I can fineagle the script to work with already downloaded source(s) I'll have to pass on that :-(
Only have an (expensive) PAYG mobile internet connection in most places that I work from.
I sneakernet stuff from a High Bandwidth WiFi using my DV7 laptop as needed. As with the 2.1RC1 isos

What version of VirtualBox is the stock 2.1RC1 kernel built for? I'm evaluating other Distros also,
and if possible I'd like to keep the need to change driver code in VMs to an absolute minimum.

I recovered the damaged filesystem and trashed files from the v1.2 3.4.4 kernel disaster using
Mint with its ubuntu 12.04 origin 3.2.xx kernel. To my great surprise there was a 6.4% drop in
executiion efficiency on filesystem I/O between Mint's 3.2 kernel and the v1.2 Porteus 3.4.x kernels

Lots of people complaining that with successive kernel releases the same attention to optimization
( AND testing!!! ) seems to be lacking. Just after the 3.4.4 file/filesystem corruption bug bit
me I paid more attention to the kernel dev side. YET ANOTHER potential file/filesystem trashing
bug was introduced beyond 3.4.4 within months. Wholesale code changes and "streamlined" testing
within the mainstream kernel are driving me towards considering other kernels ( like FreeBSD )

JOY! When I did a VM guest aide sig test comparison with v2.0 on my DV7, just over 4% of that
loss was made good.

I will test relative execution time efficiency again with v2.1RC1 when I have a working
VirtualBox environment to test with ( probably on the DV7 if the T180 locks up again with 2.1RC1 )

The Oracle licence forbids mass re-distribution; but if you can build a module that already includes
the extensions, for me to test with, even better! I can provide a private gdrive link for upload.
The great iso edit tools provided with 1.2 made it simple to add the virtualbox "driver" modules
to the base OS! As fantom kindly made a custom - extensions included - module for testing just
for my 1.2 kernel 3.4.7 variant. What a Guy! As a result that variant Porteus became my first
choice of Host OS, and one I've demonstrated to quite a few other VirtualBox / Linux Host Users.

I keep stats on running aide sig checks on the Windows installed OSes, and within specific state VMs
that will guarantee identical filesystem targets. Thus reliable comparative timings can be made.

Happy to spend time VM testing and working from any stable environment. But not so keen on
diverting too much effort into (re)building Host OS isos that have a very limited lifespan.

I sense a Gentoo joke hookline for Porteus in the making if you are STILL waiting for it to compile... ;-)

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#64 by wread » 14 Jun 2013, 15:52

if you want to run Inkscape in Porteus 2.1-rc1-KDE4-32bits, you will need to add this patch to 002-xorg. It has 2 libraries that were not necessary to run the KDE4 desktop.

I made a folder in "optional", named it Inkscape and put all files there, included the patch; this way you install the program as needed, using load=Inkscape cheatcode. if you don't have devel installed you will need to install gcc to have libgomm working.

Cheers!
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#65 by fanthom » 14 Jun 2013, 20:51

@saneks
the Porteus-installer-for-linux.com asks for my root password, but does not accept it on debian/crunchbang linux - I can make my live usb only bootable by going to windows.
please switch to root with 'sudo su' command and check if installer works under debian/crunchbang

@att
In the meantime I can report another little quirk: When you use "copy2ram" as a boot parameter, it never counts down how many modules were loaded already.
will fix for rc2 - thanks for reporting.

@firefoxjet
Where can I find the new compat32-libraries-2.1-x86_64 module?
you can use 2.0 version as whole porteus 2.x line is compatible with slackware-14.0:
http://ponce.cc/porteus/x86_64/packages/

@wread
I am struggling trying to get google-earth working again. If I put it in modules, KDE4 crashes. I put it in optional and activate it, it works...
interesting case - please share your module and i'll investigate this

@banshee22
i dont think you'll be able to modify ifconfig output without digging into sources so better modify your script

@Gooplusplus
the plan for 2.1 final is mid of July but it's a busy holiday season so we may slip it a bit

@francois
Although wired network is connected, I get a message:
Authentification required by Wi-Fi network, password, repeatedly.
on which desktop is it happening?

@jcuk
What version of VirtualBox is the stock 2.1RC1 kernel built for?
i dont understand your question but 'VirtualBox builder' always download latest Vbox version which used to work with latest kernel ootb
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#66 by Rava » 15 Jun 2013, 10:23

Ahau wrote:Please note that the "Development" module will now need to be downloaded as a standalone module if you wish to compile additional software in Porteus.
Up to Porteus 2.0, the ar executable was part of the devel module, but ar is also needed when handling / converting debian .deb files.

Is ar now moved to one of the more generic modules, so one could handle the conversation without having to activate the devel module, which is quite the overkill, cause only this one file is needed?

@wread
Is that fix for inkscape also needed when NOT running KDE, say, when I run XFCe or RazorQT?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#67 by wread » 15 Jun 2013, 19:58

@Rava
If you refer to the 002-xorg fix to run Inkscape, then the answer is yes; this because xorg is common to the other versions of Porteus. That is not a bad thing: in my researches i have learned that the OS must be as light as possible in order to have a quick response; the more you trim the operating system, the quicker is the response.

Then why not add those patches to the folder of the applications that need it?

Schön, nicht wahr? :D
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.2 32 bit XFCE

Post#68 by Payoon » 17 Jun 2013, 18:10

Hi folks,
here my experience with printing and scanning module for RC 2.1 64bit
I have a brother HL2030 printer which also works well with the HL1250 driver. My problem is , that when I try to add a new printer cups can't open localhost:631.
When I click on system>printer administration porteus opens firefox with localhost:631 not found
When I click on system>print>add printer it shows me the printer HL2030 but when I continue it hangs.

For scanning I have an old canon parallel port scanner canon 630pp which, worked well on some other distros ( but not on all).
I should mention that my parport is provided by a parallel pci card ( it's recognized and has so far never caused any problems)

My basic checklist:

lsmod > parport is listed

- outcomment in /etc/sane.d/canon_pp.conf #force nibble: done
- outcomment in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf #canon_pp: done

- check wether libieee1284 and symlinks exist in /usr /lib64/ : yes

- check wether libsane-canon_pp.so and symlinks exist in /usr/lib64/sane : yes

- check wether libsane.so and symlinks exist in /usr/lib64 : yes

When I type scanimage -L I get the following

Code: Select all

root@porteus:~# scanimage -L
No log handling enabled - using stderr logging
Created directory: /var/lib/net-snmp/mib_indexes

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
root@porteus:~#
[/b]

When I use Xsane => No devices available

What I have tried also:

There is a small standalone program named sane-6.0-2 which works from the command line (the -C stands for calibrate) :

root@porteus:~# scan -C
Canon CanoScan(tm) Scanner Driver 6.00. Copyright (C) 2001 Simon Krix et al.
This driver comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
please see http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute
it under certain conditions.
See the GNU General Public License for details.

Finding IEEE1284 ports...
    parport0 (0xcc00): <raw><cpt><nbl><irq>... OK (nibble).

Detecting scanner:
Timeout: Read Data 1 (0x00 in 0x01) - Status = 0x0b
Error 1
Timeout: Read Data 1 (0x00 in 0x01) - Status = 0x07
Error 1
initialise: Could not init scanner.
Fatal: Unable to initialise scanner! (Code 1)
One more observation: for that small sane program when I used it with porteus 2.0 it told me that it found a canon 630p scanner, but it had to reset the scannerhead. I could hear the scannerhead move one or two times, which is not the case with rc 2.1. After that the messages were the same as shown above.

That's so far what I can tell.

Other than that I have to say, that I love porteus very much ( I use xfce). I like the speed and also the modular design. I keep the system lean, but from time to time I need a special application, go to optional click and voila I can use it. After that it disappears again in optional without clogging the system.Great stuff.

Greetings and many thanks

Payoon

P.S. I forgot to mention that for the porteus 2.0 version I have also tried to solve the scanner problem by compiling sane-backends and libieee1284 myself, but the results were exactly the same as with the builtin versions.
Last edited by Hamza on 17 Jun 2013, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added CODE tag

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#69 by wread » 18 Jun 2013, 16:10

is your cups daemon running?

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#70 by Payoon » 18 Jun 2013, 16:47

Hi Wread,
I didn't know how to check that, but googling gave me this command: lp stat -h localhost -r

root@porteus:~# lpstat -h localhost -r
scheduler is running
I hope this was the right command, but then it means the daemon is running.
The task manger shows me : cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
That also looks like the cupsdaemon config file is in use.
What I not understand is, the modules are genuine porteus, why do others not have the same problem? If my printer couldn't be found I would understand, but I can't even search for it.
Anyway thanks a lot I will continue my search for the reason.

Payoon

Payoon
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#71 by Payoon » 18 Jun 2013, 17:09

A little new development, but it is getting a little weird. I tried manually localhost:631 and got : not found.
I typed localhost:631/administrator and the right page opens. I could add my printer HL 2030 (gutenprint) and when I print the LED blinks and the printer seems to act somehow. The only problem: it doesn't print. I later can find all the printing jobs as 'completed' but no paper delivered.
This all done manually by not using the porteus menu.

Payoon

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#72 by Rava » 18 Jun 2013, 19:10

wread wrote:@Rava
If you refer to the 002-xorg fix to run Inkscape, then the answer is yes; this because xorg is common to the other versions of Porteus. That is not a bad thing: in my researches i have learned that the OS must be as light as possible in order to have a quick response; the more you trim the operating system, the quicker is the response.

Then why not add those patches to the folder of the applications that need it?
Indeed, such fixes should be part of the module itself, like here, when such a fix is needed to run the program on any of the porteus flavours...
Or do I get something wrong here, with the fix and inkscape?

Ne wahr. :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#73 by Ahau » 21 Jun 2013, 21:26

Hi payoon, thank you for your post, and my apologies for the delayed response.

I made a mistake in one of my scripts which deleted the entire cups documentation directory, and this is why localhost:631 isn't working for anyone. This will be fixed for RC2.

Regarding your brother printer, please try downloding the rpm's from this site:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ml#HL-2030
convert them to xzm's with rpm2xzm, place them in your /porteus/modules folder on your boot device, and reboot. I had a similar issue with my printer, it was missing a small utility that allowed it to work over a network connection (usb worked fine and I could configure it over the network and send test pages but nothing would print).

Regarding your parallel port scanner, detection through sane appears to be a bit of a problem for parallel port devices. You could try 'sane-find-scanner -p' to search for it, but it seems doubtful given the information on the sane man page.

Also, try 'dmesg|grep parport' and let me know what the output is there, and you can follow some of the other steps listed here: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/S ... RT-GENERAL

If you know what distro's have worked for this scanner in the past, please let me know and I can see if I can get a fix on their config files, etc to help out.

Thanks!!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard

Post#74 by wread » 24 Jun 2013, 00:46

Caution! :o

We have gone too far ahead of development!!
KDevelop does not work; it complains the libraries 4.10.4 are incompatible, and that, for KDevelop- 4.5.0 and kdevplatform-1.5.0, the latest version of this application! It is a pity, but i will have to make use of my former, unofficial Porteus KDE4-32-bits that uses 4.9.5 libraries when I want to run KDevelop...

On the other hand, I tested 04-chrome and didn't like as much as my 04-chromium version. Although chromium is a little heavier as chrome, it starts with google search engine as default and saves downloads where you want. I know you can set chrome to do the same -matter of taste, pronounced the monkey, while it the soap bit!-

It should substitute 04-firefox as well, without changes (I discovered the trick of fanthom with the additional browser.desktop already!) Again, I added the root trick --user-data-dir, so you can run it as root.

I will go on with my testings,

Readgards!

EDIT: Even found, only a couples of days old: KDevelop-4.5.1 and kdevplatform-1.5.1, that seems to work already. I am testing it, when it is ok I will post these new versions for Porteus-2.1 in this forum. :)
Last edited by wread on 25 Jun 2013, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

kalo86
Samurai
Samurai

Post#75 by kalo86 » 24 Jun 2013, 08:12

Hello,
I'm running Porteus v2.1 RC1 x86_64 LXDE Edition.
There is a little bug when you want to run the "Extract Here" command on every archive file.
The "Extract To" command luckily is available and I still use this as a workaround to extract archive files.

I am running Porteus from a USB (always fresh, no changes and with root user login) on an Acer Aspire V3 laptop which has the built-in Intel HD Graphics 4000 and the NVidia GeForce GT 730M. I am not able to load the nvidia driver even if I start Porteus with the "vga-detect" cheatcode. Maybe it is caused by the NVidia Optimus?

Thanks for the development, it's much appreciated!
Regards,

kalo86