Any plan for UEFI Porteus Secure Boot?

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
kalo86
Samurai
Samurai

Any plan for UEFI Porteus Secure Boot?

Post#1 by kalo86 » 28 Mar 2013, 12:11

Hello dear Community,

I'm using Porteus also in a new laptop (Acer V3-571G) which is provided by the new UEFI Secure Boot.
If I want to boot Porteus from my USB flash drive I need to load at first the "Legacy BIOS" and then, after a reboot of the machine, I could be able to boot Porteus.

Since I use mainly Windows for my work, I Always have to switch between UEFI and Legacy BIOS to boot Windows or Porteus. This is a little boring for me and for a lot of users who have a recent laptop.

Is there any plan for a new bootloader?
Thanks in advance,

kalo86

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Any plan for UEFI Porteus Secure Boot?

Post#2 by brokenman » 28 Mar 2013, 13:18

I imagine we will have to support it in the future but we are still in the cross-over stage of this new 'Unrequired and Extremely Futile Integrated' boot system. Your options right now are to use a USB device to boot porteus.

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:slackw ... i_hardware
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

kalo86
Samurai
Samurai

Post#3 by kalo86 » 28 Mar 2013, 14:10

Yes, you are right, UEFI is really unuseful!
Anyway I am going to format my HDD because I find Windows 8 the new epic fail of Microsoft.
I will install Windows 7 using the legacy BIOS so I will be able to boot any Linux distro without problems.
Thank you for your help!

kalo

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#4 by Hamza » 28 Mar 2013, 15:09

Simply disable 'Secure Boot' feature enabled by default in the UEFI Control Panel and boot whatever you want on your laptop/computer.
NjVFQzY2Rg==