Feedback for Porteus version 2.0 RC1

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Feedback for Porteus version 2.0 RC1

Post#1 by Ahau » 24 Dec 2012, 19:12

Hi everyone,

As announced here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1780, we have a shiny new development release for you all to try out! Please download it from the link shown in the announcement, and you can leave your feedback and bug reports (for all editions) on this thread.

Please read through the full changelog here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1778 as there have been tons of changes from the previous version.

We hope you enjoy this release! Happy Holidays!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

kadalka
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Linux Mint

Re: Feedback for Porteus version 2.0 RC1

Post#2 by kadalka » 25 Dec 2012, 02:00

XFCE 2.0 RC1

french keyboard is not there.... (french layout should be there) :wall:
I comment here with Porteus 2.0 rc1 in virtualbox....

Seems running correctly and fastly. :)
I don't like PBurn but yeah it doesn't matter

I don't like changes=/porteus but I know that most people would like that...
I use the same prompt as Porteus 2.0 for ages (PS1) :lol: :D :ROFL:

So I will made some few changes to meet my needs then I definitely burn this... :)

Good job.
I like Slackware so I tried Porteus...
You don't know everything because you are born to learn ...

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#3 by beny » 25 Dec 2012, 19:19

i have make a lot of software xzm put in modules,but at reboot all have fly,if cripple source is still here why the other software not,i have used the internal command txz2xzm

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 26 Dec 2012, 09:23

@kdalka
we can't include every kdb layout

@beny
do you mean that your custom modules were never saved in /porteus/modules folder or just not loading during boot?
please try once again with one sample txz package converted to a module.
i'm fairly sure it's user fault as all is ok here.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#5 by beny » 26 Dec 2012, 11:00

well i have make xzm of libreoffice and java and the kde 4.9.4 italian language locale,i have make the launcher of the main menu on desktop,this link at reboot not work,so in the modules folder i have no software in i have used the txz2xzm of the right click menu,i can do other xzm package for testing,no problem.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#6 by beny » 26 Dec 2012, 13:19

activate the module from root no one in modules folder the xzm package stay on root but the software work so what you think....

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#7 by beny » 26 Dec 2012, 13:27

so you have to put the xzm into the modules folder if you want that work at reboot...or use ppm

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#8 by Ahau » 26 Dec 2012, 19:07

kadalka wrote:XFCE 2.0 RC1

I comment here with Porteus 2.0 rc1 in virtualbox....
Thanks, kadalka!

To jump in here a little bit, the french layout is still present, but it is not shown by default in the xkb switcher in the Xfce panel (it is limited to a maximum number of 4 layouts, and I chose the 4 that are present based on the countries that have the most visitors to porteus.org). You should be able to set the french keyboard with the "kmap=" cheatcode, or you can do it through Porteus Settings Centre, and here's how:

click on the application menu->System->Porteus Settings Centreleft
click on the second button from the left (at the top, "System Settings").
click on the keyboard settings button, click OK, click on the "layout" tab, uncheck "use system defaults"
Now, highlight the first keyboard layout on the list (probably still English(US), click on the "Edit" button near the bottom of that screen, and you get a listing of all keyboard layouts that are supported by X.org. Scroll down to French. You can click to highlight "French" for the default French layout or you can click on the dropdown arrow for a list of variants (there are about 15 for French).
Once you've selected your layout, click the "OK" Button and you should immediately be switched to typing with the French layout, and the French flag will appear on your panel.
Now, click the "close" button and wait a few seconds for Xfce to update its settings, and you can click the red button at the top of PSC to close it. If you're saving changes, the settings will be applied on reboot; if you're not saving your changes,PSC will prompt you to create a module with your new settings so that you'll have the french keyboard on future reboots.

You can customize which 4 will be visible in the skb switcher, their variants, etc. -- let us know if this doesn't sort out the problem for you.

Hope that helps! Thanks!

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#9 by francois » 27 Dec 2012, 14:57

Is this thread for both 32bit, 64bit and all type of desktop: razor-qt, kde only as there is a thread for xfce?

Warning: In the following the problems have been found on one machine, but not tested on a second one. If you want to wait for further testing on a second box, just tell me to do so.

Thanks for providing us with this wonderful new version of porteus. The kid is groing clever and mature. Porteus stays my favorite desktop, though I also love crunchbang.

1.0 razor-qt problems: Looks nice, but I hold my comments for some time working with it. The wallpaper is great, it could affect my judgment. :crazy:
1.1 I am a little lost in this brand new window manager. Where is the autostart file, so I could put in it my dual display and keyboard scripts and get the finetuning necessary for me at startup.
1.2 For one reason or another, it seems that the changes= cheatcode does not seem to work for me on razor though it works for kde4 64 bit. This means that there is no saving of sessions at exit. Here is my entry in grub2:

Code: Select all

menuentry "porteus 32bit_v20_razot-qt (on sda2/32bit_v20_razot-qt)" {
set root=(hd0,2)
linux /32bit_v20_razot-qt/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/dev/sda2/32bit_v20_razot-qt changes=EXIT:/32bit_v20_razot-qt/porteus login=root kmap=ca 
initrd /32bit_v20_razot-qt/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
}
menuentry "porteus v10_32 (on sdb1/32bit_v12)" {
1.3 The login=root cheatcode does not seem to work either under razor. It will not boot into root mode in the X environment directly. You have to choose the user thru a login manager. Once booted in the root environment the home folder at the upper left of the screen is for the guest (/home/guest). In addition, though supposed to be in root mode I could not trigger some script from a usb device to get it going. It seems to be a root permission problem. I could think that I am not root. However, in lxterminal, whoami gives root as answer.
1.4 There is a screen problem in dual display as in kde4. The screen on the two monitors is considered as if it was one, while you get xrandr values stating that it has two screen. The result is that the panel is spread across the two screens which is not very practical. This type of problem has been documented in the past:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/403610
1.5 The langage set up tool associated to keyboard settings seems to be complex, when one considers that the command setkeymap ca will do the job. The way we could manage keyboard settings in porteus v 1.2 thru the gui configure option was simple (clicking right on the little flag of the pane, and then configure). Presently, I am getting an american flag but the keyboard setting is american and the other langages are not possible. What about if I would like to write in spanish?
1.6 The folders that I will install on /root/Desktop will not open, but will trigger qmmp equalizer!!!

Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Sagittarius
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: LXDE 3.0/MATE 3.1/XFCE 3.1

Post#10 by Sagittarius » 27 Dec 2012, 19:25

I just booted into Porteus 2.0 Xfce 32-bit running from a Windows XP C: partition (according to instructions from the Lin n Win project) and my menu.lst code is:

title Porteus XFCE v2.0 rc1
kernel (hd0,0)/porteus_xfce_v2.0_rc1/boot/syslinux/vmlinuz from=/linux-ISO/Porteus-XFCE-v2.0-rc1-i486.iso noswap kmap=es login=root
initrd=(hd0,0)/porteus_xfce_v2.0_rc1/boot/syslinux/initrd.xz
boot

It boots faster than v1.2! I'm not saving changes.

But when I try to open Porteus Settings Centre, nothing happens! Then I go to Porteus Package Manager, the database updates and then I choose "by category" but when I scroll down the category column no package names appear like in v 1.2.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#11 by Hamza » 27 Dec 2012, 20:50

Porteus Packages Manager should not works as the module repository is not yet updated for Slackware 14.0
NjVFQzY2Rg==

kalo86
Samurai
Samurai

Post#12 by kalo86 » 27 Dec 2012, 21:56

Hi,

I'm using Porteus v2.0 RC1 with this settings at boot:

APPEND initrd=initrd.xz lxde login=root nomagic ramsize=100% volume=100% kmap=it

I added the modules which I use every day with the stable Porteus v1.2 x64bit but in v2.0 RC1 I'm not able to make running this application:

(Download from DropBox)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/216frkvldntga ... -3.2.1.xzm

This is a module which runs fine on Porteus v1.2 and minor releases.
Do I need to add missing modules?
Thank you for your help, keep up the good work ;)
Regards,

kalo86
Last edited by kalo86 on 28 Dec 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#13 by brokenman » 27 Dec 2012, 22:47

Francois thanks for your reports on Razor.

Where is the autostart file
You can put startup commands in the usual rc.local file. In addition there is a menu item to start applications. Menu/preferences/Razor-qt session configurator
Also /etc/xdg/autostart or /home/guest/.config/autostart folders work for starting applications.

login=root doesn't work
In fact it does work. It just takes the more secure route of making you login to the root account. If you are looking for a lazy way of auto logging into the root desktop i am afraid i had to use gdm as the login manager to circumvent a bug encountered when using lxdm and gdm does not allow autologin of the root account. If i can find a way around it i will try to make it available.

the home folder at the upper left of the screen is for the guest (/home/guest)
Thanks. I will see that it is fixed for next release.

though supposed to be in root mode I could not trigger some script from a usb device to get it going.
This is a little odd. Are you sure the script has execute permissions for root? Try to chmod 644 the script as root. Most probably it is owned by guest and has no executable rights for root.

when one considers that the command setkeymap ca will do the job.
Right you are, and this is indeed how i set my keyboard. However we are in the GUI world. You can still right click the little flag and choose configure.

The folders that I will install on /root/Desktop will not open, but will trigger qmmp equalizer!!!
Well that is a little embarrassing. I'll fix the association now. (turns red).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#14 by francois » 28 Dec 2012, 00:36

Hi Brokenman, alias Jayflood. Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

1) Though supposed to be in root mode I could not trigger some script from a usb device to get it going.
This is a little odd. Are you sure the script has execute permissions for root? Try to chmod 644 the script as root. Most probably it is owned by guest and has no executable rights for root.

- unlike in previous version of porteus, clicking and then properties does not permit to set the file to executable!!

when one considers that the command setkeymap ca will do the job.
Right you are, and this is indeed how i set my keyboard. However we are in the GUI world. You can still right click the little flag and choose configure.

- unlike the precedent versions of porteus, there is no way to add another language, I use currently ca multilingual but also us keyboards.

Thanks once more. 8)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#15 by Ahau » 28 Dec 2012, 03:42

I'm on my phone at the moment so I can't check for myself, but try plugging in the usb drive and then runn 'cat /proc/mounts'. Look for your device there, and see if it was mounted with the 'showexec' option. If so, that's the cause of the problem, and to work around it until it's fixed, do a manual remount:

umount /dev/sdb1
mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

Where sdb1 is the device containing the script. You could also just copy the script to /tmp, run chmod +x on it, and run it from there.