Important changes to 32bit Porteus

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Important changes to 32bit Porteus

Post#1 by brokenman » 08 Dec 2012, 19:54

The decision has been made to move away from the Trinity desktop as default for the 32bit version of Porteus. This decision in no way reflects the development of, or detracts from the quality of the Trinity Desktop Environment project. Those guys do a great job. The decision was made for the following reasons:

1) The move from qt3 to a tqt3 wrapper means many of the older kde3 applications will not compile under the TDE environment. This limits choices of applications for our users.

2) As TDE is still in development each new release brings new bugs for us. This again is not a reflection of the quality of development but rather a combination of Porteus being a stripped version of Slackware and Trinity being an ever changing and evolving environment. The latest bug that affected Porteus proved to be a show stopper.

As maintainer of a distro we must think to the future and for this reason i have decided to go with razorqt as the default desktop for Porteus 32bit. This will bring in qt4 which opens up a plethora of available applications and accommodates the use of many of the applications available to the 64bit version. Razorqt is a fast lightweight desktop environment which still allows support for legacy machines and runs insanely fast on newer hardware.

Lxde will also be dropped from the lineup as it really makes no sense to have 2 lightweight desktops in the one distro. The lxde desktop will be available for download via the menu in the final version. These decisions culminate in the addition of many more applications to the default iso while still remaining below the 300Mb theoretical benchmark we aim for (in fact it is only 229Mb so far).

No doubt there will be disappointed Trinity fans and those users are welcome to pickup maintenance of the TDE module where i left off. I can provide compilation instructions and scripts for those interested. The move also means that the unofficial 32bit KDE4 Porteus can run along side Razorqt and share many of the same applications.

I wanted to notify Porteus users of the changes as we consider this a community distro and while the above decisions are final, we would welcome any suggestions, constructive opinions and/or volunteers to maintain a Trinity module.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

don570
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Important changes to 32bit Porteus

Post#2 by don570 » 10 Dec 2012, 19:49

There appears to be some interest in PAE 32 bit kernels.
Puppy linux is now offering a choice.

It is confusing, I admit :x

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Hannah Montana Linux

Post#3 by UrUtusUbU » 11 Dec 2012, 15:12

I think the same about trinity 4 dev, is very hard to compile some programs and impossible in anothers, i dont like kde4 i love trinity and kde 3 but the change of kde to tde is the worst thing.

I returned days ago to the previous version of porteus with trinity 3.12 and is another thing, also it is updated kernel and some libs and extensions, work very fine except a little big problem with gam_server.
neither i find the headers of kde for compile some old things of kde, if someone can help me please :)

i make a module with Mate Destop (aka Gnome 2) from *.txz and work "well..."
for the moment need kde in background to start and have some fails, but the desktop work and is stable, only start when I change session and choose Mate for session type options, i dont know why dont start with system, i believe is all good, maybe some dependency.....
if someone like to probe or is interested in this i can upload someday, I cannot arrange it any more for problems of time and of work, at the moment, but I do not leave it.
i can make a video working too.
sy

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#4 by wread » 11 Dec 2012, 22:23

@UrUtusUbu
You say you don't like kde4.
Which version of kde4 did you try and not liked question mark.
Maybe a bloated slow one...
Take akonadi, a couple of bell and whistles out and you will have a really decent OS.

:Rose:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#5 by UrUtusUbU » 12 Dec 2012, 18:12

I do not like any version of kde4, i dont like the slow, i dont like size, i dont like taskbar, i dont like plasma, i dont like dolphin, i dont like nothing of kde4.

wread sorry but i have a really decent OS, porteus with kde3 :D

where i can find the headers of kde3 of porteus 1.1 please??

I have seen the video of porteus with mate, he had not seen it earlier, but not use mate terminal, it use lxterminal, it is a miscellany not? is not only mate.

sy

wread
Module Guard
Module Guard
Distribution: Porteus v5.0-kde-64 bits

Post#6 by wread » 12 Dec 2012, 19:30

Excuse me UrUtusUbU!
but how old are you? (I was born 1937 and don't like kde3....) :lol:
Porteus is proud of the FASTEST KDE ever made.....(take akonadi, nepomuk and soprano out and you will have a decent OS).
The Porteus Community never sleeps!

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#7 by UrUtusUbU » 12 Dec 2012, 19:46

it is not a question of age either of weight or of color of hair, I do not like and anything any more.
that has to see the age in this?? :D is a joke no?? :D

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 12 Dec 2012, 20:08

The evolution of Desktop Environment is something we do not decide. This is decided by the "common brain" which brings up the "wanted" desktop. Things must be improved otherwise the world be a little annoying.
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#9 by brokenman » 13 Dec 2012, 09:48

UrUtusUbU, i have the mate desktop running (lxde was an addition yes) but there are still some bugs like taskbar additions and other things. Everything for the older editions of Porteus can be found here:
Porteus archive

Please try Porteus-v2.0-rc1 when it comes out. I am sure kde3 fans will love this new qt environment. Very nice layout, simple to use.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

UrUtusUbU
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#10 by UrUtusUbU » 13 Dec 2012, 14:39

brokenman thanks for the link but i did not find kde includes there,
scons looking for kde includes and does not find it.
i not know if I explain myself well.
I believe that the same was happening when looking for qt includes, but I could find that.

my mate desktop have a lot of bugs too, too much bugs.
enlightment desktop like a option??

of course I will prove porteus 2.0