Kernel Module: ifenslave

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
stalane
White ninja
White ninja

Kernel Module: ifenslave

Post#1 by stalane » 25 Oct 2012, 07:03

Can we have kernel module 'ifenslave' compiled in the next release? And perhaps the full 'ifenslave' package. Thanks!

Oh.. And perhaps Network Manager 0.9.6 to go with it ? http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/

BTW Hey BigBass :-) I am another long time puppyite whose finally tired of the kiddy chaos. So far Porteus is superb. 8)

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: Kernel Module: ifenslave

Post#2 by fanthom » 25 Oct 2012, 11:30

Welcome stalane,

ifenslave seems to be small utility so could be added to the ISO together with bonding support in the kernel.
will do it for next release.

btw: yup - NM-0.9.6 is already included in my pre-alpha build.

thanks for suggestion.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

stalane
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by stalane » 25 Oct 2012, 14:06

Hey thanks for the fast response!

Yes ifenslave is very small but very cute. Originally written by the guy who invented Ethernet, Don Becker :-)

Bonding interfaces is in the newest Network Manager although I haven't tried it yet. I've been doing it with ppp0 and ppp1 (with 2x 3G dongles) only with Zeroshell on an old netbook.

We could make is a small Porteus utility module to bond any connected interface(s) with a choice of any of the 6 bonding modes with mode=4 (802.3ad) as the default option.

I have no clue what I am talking about yet as I am 1 day into this distro and I've just discovered /mnt/live/mnt - :Yahoo!:

BTW In 1.2 64bit why is wireless interface eth1 and not wlan0 ??

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#4 by fanthom » 25 Oct 2012, 14:34

In 1.2 64bit why is wireless interface eth1 and not wlan0 ??
(first guess) because you have broadcom wifi chipset which uses proprietary 'wl.ko' driver included in porteus.
(second guess) 3rd party companies (like broadcom) doesn't like to follow linux standards and can name their interfaces as they want, even: fanthom0 would be ok for them :)
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.