IRC for real time communication

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
edge226
Contributor
Contributor

IRC for real time communication

Post#1 by edge226 » 06 Jul 2012, 16:51

I am not a huge IRC geek but I do use it for pretty much every distribution I use. I think we could greatly benefit from one or more IRC channels, one for the general Porteus community and one for devs to discuss in private would be nice.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Re: IRC for real time communication

Post#2 by Hamza » 06 Jul 2012, 17:32

one or more IRC channels, one for the general Porteus community
The only thing we cannot do about this, is the hosting of IRC Server on porteus.org server. Why not use freenode servers ?
one for devs to discuss in private would be nice.
There is already one :oops:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#3 by brokenman » 06 Jul 2012, 23:19

I used IRC a lot back in the day ... but for some reason i never use it anymore. If we had a public IRC server i would still probably just use the chat box on the site. For my use it is perfect. Sometimes (mostly) i just don't have the time to sit around and chat.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by edge226 » 08 Jul 2012, 17:28

brokenman wrote:I used IRC a lot back in the day ... but for some reason i never use it anymore. If we had a public IRC server i would still probably just use the chat box on the site. For my use it is perfect. Sometimes (mostly) i just don't have the time to sit around and chat.
I find that a response is rare on the mini-chat and that I am often looking up my posts and to me it seems more convenient, its nice to leave a quick message and someone will probably see it because of the low usage of it. I would like to get to know other users more though, I do not neccessarily feel like friends with everyone but simply that we have a usage commonality. I know very little about anyone to make a real connection with. IRC seems to do that with me.

Can I get a PM of the Dev IRC channel?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 08 Jul 2012, 19:26

Well ... my name is Jay and i am an Australian living in Brazil. My picture is somewhere in a recent post about something. I like long walks on the beach, extreme sports and tinkering with electronics & physics. You can visit my website at: http://www.brokenman.co.nz

Oh yeah ... and i don't like the inconvenience of having a chat/IRC window beeping at me while i am trying to get stuff done. You won't see me much on mchat and sometimes not much on the forums although i am usually lurking in the shadows watching others. My free time is spent doing magic shows, playing guitar and coding.

That's it about me ... i think the dev IRC relay will be as lonely as a linux nerd at a rave party. :shock:
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

blablotin
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by blablotin » 21 Jul 2012, 17:47

I used IRC a lot before and I noticed that on some minichat's forum it is IRC