libc / x86-64

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

libc / x86-64

Post#1 by Rava » 24 May 2012, 22:40

If this is the wrong thread, please move the post. Thanks.

I tried to create either a ctorrent or rtorrent module, using the slackware packages. But trying to resolve additional needed dependencies, I stumbled with the same issues again and again:
Some dependencies want libc-2.14.so, and others want libc-2.15.so.

Now, as I understand it, there can only be one libc, and the Porteus 1.2rc1 I currently run uses libc-2.13.so...

So, does that mean I would have to compile all needed dependencies manually to have them working with libc-2.13.so instead of libc-2.14.so or libc-2.15.so ?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Re: libc / x86-64

Post#2 by fanthom » 24 May 2012, 23:55

So, does that mean I would have to compile all needed dependencies manually to have them working with libc-2.13.so instead of libc-2.14.so or libc-2.15.so ?
you have 2 choices:
a) use packages/libs from one slackware version only: 13.37 (for porteus-1.x line) not 12.2 or -current.
b) recompile everything on porteus-1.x or slackware 13.37

Pat used to provide slackbuilds+sources for every single package which is included in each slackware releases:
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.slackw ... 37/source/
same applies to slacky.eu, alien bob repo, slackbuilds.org, etc...

compilation from sources is very easy once slackbuilds are provided.
i used to do it on full blown slackware installation but now doing in on porteus. almost everything is included in default ISO so shouldn't be a big hassle. occasionally you may be missing stuff like bison or yasm but compilation errors are pretty straight forward to resolve (mostly: install missing packages).

Cheers
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.