Porteus-XCFE v1.2 rc2 x86_64 is ready for testing!

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Porteus-XCFE v1.2 rc2 x86_64 is ready for testing!

Post#1 by Ahau » 06 May 2012, 22:24

Hi everyone,

Porteus-XFCE version 1.2 rc2 is here, featuring the newly minted XFCE version 4.10. This release includes all of the changes to the standard edition of Porteus (other than those in lxde/kde, kde-apps, etc). Here's the changelog for the xfce and xfce-apps modules:

- upgrade to XFCE version 4.10
- recompiled vamps to add patches (thanks bigbass!)
- wrote /opt/porteus-scripts/xorg/psu and modified relevant files in /usr/share/applications; submitted upstream
- added pxf-sound to autoconfigure retrovol to force Master Volume channel and show gtk-dialog notification for volume changes.
- updated pxf-sound to not steal focus; set option in window-manager tweaks to enable focus-stealing prevention. this keeps pxf-sound from minimizing full screen flashplayer movies
- compiled new versions for:
ristretto (0.6.0)
slock (1.0)
retrovol (0.12)
- fixed man page location for gnome-ppp (thanks rava)
- requested upstream to remove '--login' from xfce blob in 'activate' and 'deactivate' (thanks tonio for finding)
- switched medit for geany, added to launcher panel
- moved panel to top, added launcher panel w/autohide to bottom (thanks tonio for suggestion)
- changed background image
- removed exo-open items from background, they were duplicate entries and opened items in the back instead in front of existing apps
- added open thunar in super user mode desktop item (thanks Rava for suggestion)
- dropped catfish, as python was removed from 64-bit Standard Edition, pointed file search operations to 'pfilesearch' instead, which is included as a part of the 'pburn' package
- patched up xfce's xinitrc, which wasn't working with an old patch for 4.8, so guest user should have proper authority through consolekit when logging in via startx]
- dropped gnome-ppp and dependencies, as Network Manager is now included in standard edition, and it handles dial up connections

Get it from here:
link

Please give this a spin and report any trouble or questions here. Many thanks!!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Re: Porteus-XCFE v1.2 rc2 x86_64 is ready for testing!

Post#2 by Tonio » 07 May 2012, 00:21

@Ahau

which kernel version is present?
ie., 3.2-6, or 3.3.4 ?

Why? Enquiring minds want to know :)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#3 by Ahau » 07 May 2012, 00:36

Hi Tonio,

it is 3.3.4, same as all the other editions, per the release announcement here: http://forum.porteus.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1210

Porteus-xfce utilizes the same kernel, initrd, 001-core.xzm and 002-xorge.xzm modules as the standard editions, I build the xfce ISO's after fanthom and brokenman upload theirs :)

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#4 by Tonio » 07 May 2012, 02:36

Thanks Ahau!

I am dissapointed about k3b removal :(
I hope this is only in XFCE versions :)
I will test as soon as I can get blank cd's from a friend and after downloading :)

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#5 by brokenman » 07 May 2012, 13:02

k3b was also removed from 32bit but will be supplied as a module in the porteus repo. (once i compile and get ripping part working correctly).
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#6 by Ahau » 07 May 2012, 14:42

My bad -- I missed the changover from k3b to pburn in 32-bit (I was a little hasty in prepping my ISO!). So, Brokenman wins the gold star for finding the first bug in rc2-- 32-bit XFCE edition has duplicate packages (pburn, vamps, and gftp). I've updated the announcement and will remove these packages from my xfce-apps module in advance of 1.2 final.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Tonio » 07 May 2012, 15:52

brokenman wrote:k3b was also removed from 32bit but will be supplied as a module in the porteus repo. (once i compile and get ripping part working correctly).
Sad day for k3b fans :( Double whammy both 32 and 64 bit have been directed to /dev/null :shock: :bad: :%) :cry:

But I see the other side, reduced the size by like 30 MB and while I don't care for pburn, I don't see the functionality there still. Some users will be upset, time will tell.

zer0-G
White ninja
White ninja

Post#8 by zer0-G » 16 May 2012, 14:11

Hello,

I think I found some problems with magic folders in v1.2r2 XFCE edition. When I set up magic folders to store my /home/guest/.config to an EXT2 partition and reboot, XFCE starts with a message saying it is the first time panel is running and to select default or blank panel.

I have previously used magic folders to store .config files in v1.2r1 XFCE edition and everything worked well. Any advice on getting magic folders working would be greatly appreciated.

BTW the new magic folders window interface looks really nice...

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#9 by Ahau » 16 May 2012, 14:42

Hi zer0-G, thanks for your report. I tested the new gtkdialog magic folders and it created the binding properly, but it did not copy the files from the 'live' location to the external folder when it was first created. The old script did perform this action and the new script does contain the code to do it, but it's failing for some reason. Brokenman, can you help us out on this one?

For now, please try rebooting with the 'nomagic' cheatcode (or just select 'always fresh' from the boot menu, it has nomagic) to avoid binding the directories. This should get you into xfce with the original panel settings. Then run 'cp -ar /home/guest/.config/* /mnt/sdXY/path/to/.config/', of course changing out your partition and path for the real one on your system. This will populate the external folder with the files, and on your next reboot (without the 'nomagic' cheatcode) you'll be able to start using it as normal.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#10 by brokenman » 16 May 2012, 15:09

Will look through the code tonight to pinpoint the problem. Thanks for the report.

EDIT//
Problem fixed and also redirecting errors to /var/log/magicfolders.log now.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

zer0-G
White ninja
White ninja

Post#11 by zer0-G » 16 May 2012, 20:26

Thanks Ahau!

The workaround you suggested is working good...

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#12 by Rava » 18 May 2012, 02:27

Hi folks, long time no see... Good to finally have the 1.2rc2...

But... why are there no longer the direct URLs to the downloads in the initial posts? Not for the std version, nor for the XFCe one?

To me that detail was convenient. :) And I think quite some new users would think so, too...

(I know it's in the ‹ General ‹ Announcement threads, but it doesn'z hurt to also have them in here... :wink: )
Cheers!
Yours Rava