XFCE-4.10(pre1), aka xfce-4.9

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

XFCE-4.10(pre1), aka xfce-4.9

Post#1 by Ahau » 04 Apr 2012, 00:12

Hi folks,

The devs over at XFCE have announced the first development release for version 4.10: http://xfce.org/about/news/?post=1333238400

Their development versions are given odd numbers, so technically speaking this is a '4.9' release, but this is more or less what we can expect for 4.10 (features are frozen, so we're looking at bugfixes from here on out). It took me a couple of days, but I've managed to get packages compiled and put together as modules for porteus. You can download them here, for 32 and 64-bit:

http://code.google.com/p/porteus-xfce/downloads/list

In order to test these modules, you'll need to be running Porteus V1.2 RC1 XFCE edition. You'll want to move the '0090-xfce' and '0091-xfce-apps' modules to /porteus/optional, then download the xfce 4.9 modules from the link above, and put them in /porteus/base.

Please report any bugs you find in these modules here in this thread (for either architecture). I will confirm bugs as being either XFCE related or Porteus (read:Ahau's fat fingers), and report XFCE bugs upstream. If these modules seem stable, they'll be rolled out with Porteus V1.2 RC2, as XFCE 4.10 final will probably be out before Porteus V1.2 final, and I want to move forward with 4.10.

I've moved the panel to the top of the screen and added a launcher at the bottom that auto-hides. I've also changed the background and made a few other tweaks here and there.

Known issues: booting with saved changes on an ext2 partition still causes reboot/shutdown to fall back to lxdm instead of shutting down gracefully. Also, logging out with medit open will cause problems...I'm transitioning to geany and medit will be dropped unless this gets fixed upstream.

Enjoy!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Re: XFCE-4.10(pre1), aka xfce-4.9

Post#2 by Rava » 07 Apr 2012, 05:47

*downloads xfce-4.9 now*

Will give you heads up as soon as I incorporated the xfce-4.9 and the kernel update (linux-3.3.1) for rc1 of Portues-1.2 into what is the closest to rc2 XFCe I can get for now. :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

luc0zade
White ninja
White ninja

Post#3 by luc0zade » 07 Apr 2012, 17:13

Rava wrote:*downloads xfce-4.9 now*

Will give you heads up as soon as I incorporated the xfce-4.9 and the kernel update (linux-3.3.1) for rc1 of Portues-1.2 into what is the closest to rc2 XFCe I can get for now. :)
I've had a go at doing this too and have an ISO including both these updates ready to download, see http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1168.

Tonio
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Slackware,porteus,FreeBSD,Slax

Post#4 by Tonio » 09 Apr 2012, 03:43

Works very well both the kernel 3.3.1, and xfce 4.10, added comment on other thread too!
I know it is unofficial, but I still want to say thanks :)

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#5 by Ahau » 09 Apr 2012, 16:35

Sounds great, thanks for testing, everyone! And thanks for preparing an iso, luc0zade, that will make it easy for folks to test this out :). I've been using 4.10 since I posted the modules on the third without running into major issues, but I've also been focused on doing just a few tasks (namely, getting an arm kernel compiled and setting up qemu to run armed slack) -- plan is still to implement this and any 4.10 updates for RC2.

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#6 by francois » 11 Apr 2012, 14:47

Thanks for xfce 4.10 Ahau. I like the wallpaper. Space themes have more finish for me than underwater scenes. Concerning the placement of the panel, I prefer it at the bottom, but it is very easy to change its place, so this is not really a major issue. Concerning the panel menu, I think that a simplified view would be an asset.I like very much the crunchbang presentation concerning that topic. I will come back on that issue. :)
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#7 by Ahau » 11 Apr 2012, 16:26

Thanks for the input, francois! I've always preferred the panel at the bottom as well, I blame that on my windows and kde roots (I think the last time I used a panel at the top was on a mac about 15 years ago). I'm trying to broaden my horizons on this one, to offer a UI that is more unique from the other DE's in porteus and more similar to the XFCE defaults. If I get overwhelming feedback that users prefer the panel at the bottom, however, I may be persuaded to move it back... so anyone who cares, feel free to chime in!

regarding the menu, I have actually trimmed it down a bit from 1.2RC1 by removing some unneeded items (exo- shortcuts), but am interested in what you've got in crunchbang...please post a screenshot if you have a chance, and if it is running xfce, you can also send me a copy of the menu xml file (if it's a system default, you can find it in /etc/xfce/xdg/menus/ or someplace similar -- I'm going from memory here, or perhaps somewhere inside the maze of ~/.config/xfce4) Of course, I should be able to recreate what they have based on a screenshot or two illustrating what you like about it :)

cheers!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#8 by francois » 13 Apr 2012, 05:12

Sorry to take so much time. Work, karate, aikido and that sort of things. Crunchbang used to have an xfce version, but dropped it to concentrate on openbox only. The panel is tint2 and it stands on top of the display.

Though crunchbang is recognised amongst other for its very simple and straightforward menu, see:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1183 ... 9613794689

Look at the simplicity of the six top menu items. The control keys that are presented stock with conky are very interesting. You could change the web browser if you want thru internet menu, you have the choice between firefox that comes standard , however within a few keystroke opera or google chrome could become the web browser. this could be easily implemented with our modules system.

Going in and around the menus you find interesting kinds of things. Best thing is to try it. However, if it pleases you, I can make photos of the other submenus. :)

Also I could make available my favorite wallpaper that I have collected here and there.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#9 by Ahau » 13 Apr 2012, 20:46

Thank you, francois, don't worry about the timing :)

So, are you suggesting we reduce items from the dropdown menu (shown when you click on the "Porteus" button on the panel), or reduce the number of items on the panel to reduce clutter? I agree that the crunchbang example you've shown is quite clean, though I think it is a *little* more minimalistic than what I'm going for. I can't tell from the photos, but are the window buttons (which you would click on to restore minimized windows) just icons with no text in the panel? I think there's an option for that in XFCE, which would probably clean things up a bit, but might also make it more difficult to navigate when you have several instances of the same program running (I do this a lot, I usually have 3 or 4 terminals and a couple text editors open).

Also, when you have a chance, please try this patched xfce-4.9 package: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... atched.xzm

The lead developer is working on addressing the bug causing xfce4 to drop back to the login manager instead of shutting down when you click on 'reboot' or 'shut down' from the menu, and has submitted a patch, which I applied this afternoon. Simply put this module in /porteus/modules such that it will overwrite portions of the xfce-4.9 module (which you should have in /porteus/base) and test it with saved changes on your ext2 drive. On my end, xfce closes almost immediately -- the lxdm login screen flashes for about a half second before it goes to the CLI and shuts down. This is a substantial improvement, but I want to make sure it's working on your hardware as well.

Thanks!

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by francois » 14 Apr 2012, 15:04

The intention with these pictures was only to show you the menu and its simplicity, the first six items for example. It is less charged in the way it is designed. Webbrowser, will still open the webbrowser even if you decide to intall, google chrome or opera instead of iceweasel.

I wanted you also to see the wallpaper.

The panel of xfce is very nice just as you set it up.

I will add your patch.

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by francois » 02 May 2012, 23:58

Nice simplified menu. I like it. I imagine that this was your patch.

The suspend to ram, halt, logout and screen luminosity icons at the ultimate left of panel do work. However, in dual display the luminosity icon will control only the left screen.

To that menu I would add the office writer program (abiword?).

0.In save changes mode some opened windows will not be saved.
1.The four icons on the panel at right of the porteus icon the panel menu icon are not functional.
2.There is no more abiword and gnumerics.
3. The terminal emulator icon does not start any cli window.
4.The lock screen icon at the ultimate left of panel does not work.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#12 by Ahau » 03 May 2012, 16:26

Thanks, francois! I apologize, most of those errors were my fault -- I had you insert a module with newer libraries, which probably broke several things. In my latest build (which all needed apps recompiled against the libraries in xfce-4.10 final), the lock screen button works (note, you'll get a black screen with no prompt -- enter your current user's password and press enter and the screen will light up again), Terminal works, abiword and gnumeric show up in the menu, and the four icons next to the porteus button have been relocated to a second panel at the bottom of the screen (it hides automatically, so you have to move your cursor to the bottom center of the screen and it will pop up with buttons). When Porteus 1.2 RC2 is released, it would probably be best to clean out (or just switch) your changes directory, to avoid older settings (you'll get a mismatch of your customizations against old settings and the newer settings, and things will likely break).

for luminosity, are you referring to the xfce4-brightness plugin? I was looking at it this morning and it doesn't detect my screen at all, so I'll be looking into that further...

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by francois » 04 May 2012, 10:49

No apology needed. You work hard and all I have to do is to test, which does not take so much time. I am happy to contribute even for so few. :wink:

I am waiting with febrility for this next version.