Porteus XFCe only or KDE only setup

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Porteus XFCe only or KDE only setup

Post#1 by Rava » 07 Mar 2012, 11:11

Hi folks,

what would be the best recommended setup to have both

Porteus XFCe only
and
KDE only setup

on an USB pendrive, so that, via cheat codes either KDE is loaded with KDE as desktop environment, and the KDE apps,
or XFCe is loaded, with XFCe as desktop environment, and the XFCe apps.

There would be more possibilities than one, like, using a cheatcode that loads *KDE*, or that loads *XFCE*, or not.

But it could also be done via the optional folder.

So, my question: what is the most recommended approach, as seen what will be stay there for the Porteus versions to come?

Do you folks already startup Porteus like that? So that you have either a KDE only system, without the XFCe modules loaded, or an XFCe only system without the KDE ones?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: Porteus XFCe only or KDE only setup

Post#2 by brokenman » 07 Mar 2012, 11:39

Do you folks already startup Porteus like that? So that you have either a KDE only system, without the XFCe modules loaded, or an XFCe only system without the KDE ones?

Currently standard Porteus includes KDE/lxde or just XFCE.

You can have a KDE only desktop by using the noload=lxde cheatcode which will ignore all modules in base with the lxde string. In 32bit (V1.2+) you can use noload=tde to have just lxde or noload=kde in 64bit. To have just xfce you can download the XFCE iso.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by Rava » 07 Mar 2012, 11:44

brokenman wrote:Currently standard Porteus includes KDE/lxde or just XFCE.

You can have a KDE only desktop by using the noload=lxde cheatcode which will ignore all modules in base with the lxde string. In 32bit (V1.2+) you can use noload=tde to have just lxde or noload=kde in 64bit. To have just xfce you can download the XFCE iso.
I want, not for me, but for others to show, an USB stick with both KDE AND XFCe on it. But to either load KDE or XFCe.

So, I think I go with both noload=lxde and noload=kde to have XFCe.

And then, noload=fxce to have KDE and LXDE, yes?

Could more than one noload= be used? and would it be like noload=lxde noload=kde or like
noload=lxde,kde ?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#4 by Ahau » 07 Mar 2012, 13:21

yes, that is how you would do it. modules that are blocked by 'noload' should be separated by a semicolon, with no spaces (this is missing from the current cheatcodes.txt but has already been fixed for 1.2RC2);

noload=kde;lxde;devel

This is how I would set it up: use your existing XFCE install and add 003-lxde (if you want it) and 004-kde to /porteus/base. Then copy your XFCE boot entry in your porteus.cfg, label it as KDE or whatever. Then, add to your existing XFCE boot entry, 'noload=003-lxde;004-kde;' and then in your new KDE entry remove 'xfce' and add 'noload=0090-xfce;0091-xfce-apps'

Some explanation: I'd start with the XFCE install because the 002-xorg module gets packed with cache files from the other modules during creation of the ISO. Since I create XFCE after the standard edition, these cache files are added to the existing cache (without removing the KDE cache files), so you'll have all you need there (these cache files are recreated at boot-up whenever you have any modules loaded outside of the /base folder, so it's not a big deal unless you run with no extra modules). Also, I'd be very specific about the module names, because the system will avoid any modules that match the string you entered. If you just went with 'noload=kde', and then added a module to your /porteus/modules folder with 'kde' anywhere in the title (like some fictional program called smackdevel), it wouldn't load up.
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Rava » 07 Mar 2012, 17:57

Thanks for the info, Ahau!
Ahau wrote:yes, that is how you would do it. modules that are blocked by 'noload' should be separated by a semicolon, with no spaces (this is missing from the current cheatcodes.txt but has already been fixed for 1.2RC2);
But... 1.2RC2 is not jet available, yes?
I not find a thread in http://porteus.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=53 (General ‹ Development)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Post#6 by Ahau » 07 Mar 2012, 18:24

1.2rc2 is not available yet -- this behaviour (load and noload values needing to be separated by semicolons without spaces) has been present for a long time, but the cheatcodes documentation did not explain it properly. I have updated cheatcodes.txt on my end (at fanthom's request -- he noticed that noload and load were missing details about usage), and that fix will be implemented in the ISO's once 1.2rc2 is released. Here's the text as it will be:

Code: Select all

noload=module 
noload=module[1];module[n] 

... Disable loading of any modules specified. This affects all the 
modules on the Porteus CD, including /base and /modules, so 
using noload=kde will disable loading of all modules with 'kde' 
in the name. It is useful with the copy2ram cheatcode, because 
any un-used module is not copied to ram. Multiple modules can 
be listed, but they must be separated by semicolons, with no 
spaces. 
Example: 'noload=lxde;devel' will prevent the loading of any 
modules with a name containing the strings 'lxde' or 'devel' 
'noload=004-kde;003-lxde' will work in 1.2rc1 (and earlier versions for that matter)
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

mailmegx
White ninja
White ninja
Distribution: Porteus 1.2 XFCE 64bit

Post#7 by mailmegx » 23 Mar 2012, 18:57

Testing poerteus 32 bit xfce
boot fails when trying a 'poor mans install', the sgn flile was not found
when I use 'debug' cheatcode I run mount and /mnt/sda1 is not mounted, after boot fails at the ash prompt mount shows /mnt/sda1 is mounted

is this a known bug?

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#8 by Hamza » 23 Mar 2012, 19:05

Sorry, it's not the right place for that type of reporting.

If your issue is on a 32-bit System, Please report your issue on this topic
Porteus-XFCE-v1.2-rc1-i486.iso is ready for testing!

If your issue is on a 64-bit System, Please report your issue on this topic
Porteus-XFCE-v1.2-rc1-x86_64.iso is ready for testing!
NjVFQzY2Rg==