Offering the modules in /porteus/modules or optional instead of /tmp

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#1 by francois » 14 Nov 2023, 17:06

Once built, modules are present in the the /tmp folder, and not in the /modules folder. Maybe we should have a feature after building a module as to dumping it into the /porteus/modules, /porteus/optional or /tmp folders. This feature could be offered only once. And maybe, it could also be modified in the settings options.

Is this easily implementable? What do you think?

Thanks
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#2 by Ed_P » 14 Nov 2023, 20:49

It might be easier for a user, like yourself, to create a script for copying /tmp modules to their /porteus/modules or /porteus/optional folders when they want to do that. :happy62:

tmp2mod.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cp /tmp/*.xzm  /porteus/modules
tmp2opt.sh

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
cp /tmp/*.xzm  /porteus/optional
In that I boot ISOs they wouldn't work for me. :)
Ed

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#3 by Rava » 26 Nov 2023, 07:27

francois wrote:
14 Nov 2023, 17:06
Once built, modules are present in the the /tmp folder, and not in the /modules folder. Maybe we should have a feature after building a module as to dumping it into the /porteus/modules, /porteus/optional or /tmp folders. This feature could be offered only once. And maybe, it could also be modified in the settings options.

Is this easily implementable? What do you think?
It is doable, but i am against it. I store most of my modules not on my boot partition since that is only 1.5 GB of size but on different internal partitions and link to these via symlinks.
And I use dozens of different /mnt/sda1/Porteus_5.0*/porteus/ folders and many such modules link to the same target modules.

Having a newly created module put into /porteus/modules or /porteus/optional instead of /tmp would not be how I do things and i would have to remove these to the place where I want the module to be, and maybe create a symlink somewhere in /porteus/modules or /porteus/optional or /porteus/base to that module.

And recall: some created modules are meant to be rarely used, so I would not want that anywhere in my boot porteus/ folder hierarchy since I would manually load such modules.
Cheers!
Yours Rava