debian repository dependency resolution

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
edge226
Contributor
Contributor

debian repository dependency resolution

Post#1 by edge226 » 03 Mar 2012, 02:07

PPM does not appear to check the debian repositories when checking for dependency resolution. This can cause PPM to freeze.

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Re: debian repository dependency resolution

Post#2 by brokenman » 03 Mar 2012, 21:11

Thats correct. It only downloads packages from debian repository. It will check slackware for any dependencies required after running ldd against executables. Can you explain how it freezes PPM? Which packages were you working with? You can use the bug report feature to produce a report file which will give more info.

PPM debian support is still a work in progress.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#3 by edge226 » 04 Mar 2012, 01:29

Brokenman I figured it was still in trial stages, it just seems to be the best repository to find the packages I need.

ktorrent-4.0.5-x86_64-1.xzm when I tried to load this module from debian it said there were dependency issues and asked if for them to be resolved, I said go ahead and do it. there it sat appearing to do nothing for over 5 minutes... it takes my hardware about 10 to compile a kernel. so I pressed the X in the corner thinking its locked up for some reason. su; pkill gtkdialog

then I went back to debain, picked this one up:
libktorrent-1.0.5_3-x86_64-1.xzm
loaded it before ktorrent and everything worked.

Keep in mind that the slackware repositories and the debian repositories seem to have different things, Unless its a base system requirement I think its best to do the resolution via the repository you picked up the package, you 100% know the dependencies will be there if its an official repository. Eventually I am sure you plan to have it check them all in order, but the easiest and safest quick working fix may be to do all the searching in the proper repo's, what tools does ppm use for the apt side?

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#4 by brokenman » 04 Mar 2012, 13:32

Unless its a base system requirement I think its best to do the resolution via the repository you picked up the package, you 100% know the dependencies will be there if its an official repository.
Yes of course you are absolutely right. I was 'pressed for time' when releasing the PPM and just included the debian function to see how it went. I will add dep resolution from debian repo when i get the time.

I don't use apt at all. The user is presented with a list of packages, they download the chosen package. It is unpacked (ar x package.ext) and then the data.tar.gz file is unpacked which gives all the info. The executables are passed through 'ldd' and dependencies are found in this way. Python type packages will need another method (but that is for the future).

For the final Porteus v1.2 i will compile all of the missing KDE packages (e.g ktorrent) and offer them on the Porteus repo.
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

edge226
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by edge226 » 05 Mar 2012, 11:53

brokenman I've been using linux for a long time and really wanted to help out. Porteus is amazing and with more development I think it could take over ;)