Porteus-XFCE-v1.2-rc1-x86_64.iso is ready for testing!

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs
Distribution: LXDE & Xfce 32/64-bit

Re: Porteus-XFCE-v1.2-rc1-x86_64.iso is ready for testing!

Post#16 by Ahau » 29 Feb 2012, 02:33

@Hamza, Great! Enjoy!

@all: New 'pxf-sound' script is up on the google code page: http://porteus-xfce.googlecode.com/file ... nd-gtk.xzm

This module is architecture-independent (works on both 32 and 64-bit).
Please give it a try if you have a chance, I'd like some more testing prior to RC2. Download the module and put it in /porteus/modules on your flash or hard drive. On reboot (preferrably 'always fresh' mode), please check that retrovol (the sound icon in the panel notification area) is configured for the right sound device and Master Volume channel. Then, push your volume up/down and mute buttons and make sure everything works and displays properly. I've set this up so that retrovol should always default to the 'Master' channel (rava, this should fix the issue where it was defaulting to some PCM channel).

Cheers!

Posted after 11 hours 24 minutes 21 second:
@Rava,

I had a chance to look at your GIMP issue today. To me, this does not appear to be a bug. I think it is a GIMP feature that is perhaps expressed differently in XFCE than in other desktops. In order to stop the toolbox and dock from changing desktops, please do the following:

Open GIMP -> edit -> preferences -> window management -> change dropdowns for "Hint for the toolbox:" and "Hint for other docs:" to "Normal window" or "keep above". Then restart GIMP. They should now stay in the same workspace as the main window.

Thanks!
Please take a look at our online documentation, here. Suggestions are welcome!

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord
Distribution: Porteus

Post#17 by Hamza » 29 Feb 2012, 10:20

Running it and that would useful to get french keyboard in pre-selected keyboard instead of use "setxkbmap fr"

Otherwise, Ahau is an XFCE Addict !

XFCE Desktop works fine! :good:
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#18 by Ahau » 29 Feb 2012, 15:56

Thanks, Hamza!

Try booting with the cheatcode, "kmap=us,fr", that will load the keyboard switcher up with us keyboard and a french backup (only 4 defaults are allowed).

That said, how do you like the current setting? It is set to change keymapping for individual applications only, so for each application in which you want a different keymap than the first default, you have to put focus on that application and click the flag; other applications will continue with the other keymap, but as you switch back and forth between applications they will remember their keymapping. I could change this behaviour so that it alters the keymapping for all applications when you change it in the panel. Since I'm a US/english typer only, I'm not sure what is most convenient for users...thoughts?

Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

Post#19 by Rava » 04 Mar 2012, 22:01

Ahau wrote:Open GIMP -> edit -> preferences -> window management -> change dropdowns for "Hint for the toolbox:" and "Hint for other docs:" to "Normal window" or "keep above". Then restart GIMP. They should now stay in the same workspace as the main window.
Last time I ran GIMP with XFCe was when I ran Slax 6.1.2...
And I think it was not like that. But it also was an older GIMP version AND an older XFCe version.

But I also can have been mistaken, and even then GIMP acted that way, cause I can recall that I saw GIMP acting that way before...

Thanks for the tips on that!

Verfasst after 2 days 23 hours 48 minutes 49 seconds:
Updates

Some other stuff that seems to be malfunctioning:

The icon showing the status of the net connection gives wrong info.

* When I cut the net, aka plug out the cable, it still tells me I am connected, still tells me about my local IP. Double-clicking the icon gives me the WICD network manager, and that gives me the right info. But the icon should give right infos, too...

* When I use the fsck cheatcode, it only results in two empty yellow lines at bootup, but no fsck is done.

* It seems, Porteus with the NVidia driver works way slower than the 1.0 or 1.1 version, Should I compare all available versions with the gears test application?

Happy that Suspend works well. :Rose:

Verfasst after 9 minutes 17 seconds:

Code: Select all

root@porteus:/mnt/DL# deb2xzm nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.deb nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.xzm
/usr/bin/deb2xzm: line 16: /usr/bin/ar: No such file or directory
Module creation failed!
That's when I get to follow Hamza's advice from here: http://porteus.org/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 8355#p8316

Is ar missing in 1.2rc1?
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#20 by Hamza » 04 Mar 2012, 23:23

Did you using XFCE Edition for conversation between deb to xzm ?
NjVFQzY2Rg==

brokenman
Site Admin
Site Admin
Distribution: Porteus v4 all desktops

Post#21 by brokenman » 05 Mar 2012, 00:33

Is ar missing in 1.2rc1?
No ... it shouldn't be. Did you try this to check?

whereis ar
Try just issuing the first argument.
deb2xzm nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.deb
How do i become super user?
Wear your underpants on the outside and put on a cape.

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#22 by Ahau » 05 Mar 2012, 02:53

hmm, maybe you've added something that overwrote or somehow deleted /usr/bin/ar? seemed to work fine for me:

root@porteus:~/Downloads# which ar
/usr/bin/ar
root@porteus:/mnt/sdb2# cd /root/Downloads/
root@porteus:~/Downloads# ls
nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.deb
root@porteus:~/Downloads# deb2xzm nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.deb nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.xzm
Verifying package data.tgz.
Installing package data.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package data.tgz installed.

Parallel mksquashfs: Using 2 processors
Creating 4.0 filesystem on /root/Downloads/nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.xzm, block size 262144.
[===============================================================/] 693/693 100%
Exportable Squashfs 4.0 filesystem, xz compressed, data block size 262144
	compressed data, compressed metadata, compressed fragments, compressed xattrs
	duplicates are removed
Filesystem size 14314.14 Kbytes (13.98 Mbytes)
	38.42% of uncompressed filesystem size (37260.76 Kbytes)
Inode table size 5498 bytes (5.37 Kbytes)
	22.85% of uncompressed inode table size (24066 bytes)
Directory table size 6262 bytes (6.12 Kbytes)
	25.99% of uncompressed directory table size (24094 bytes)
Number of duplicate files found 37
Number of inodes 734
Number of files 598
Number of fragments 46
Number of symbolic links  8
Number of device nodes 0
Number of fifo nodes 0
Number of socket nodes 0
Number of directories 128
Number of ids (unique uids + gids) 1
Number of uids 1
	root (0)
Number of gids 1
	root (0)

Module created as /root/Downloads/nerolinux-4.0.0.0b-x86_64.xzm
root@porteus:~/Downloads# 
however, when I start it up, it tells me that the trial license has expired. Maybe there's a new one somewhere online to use?

The issue with the wicd icon sounds like an upstream issue -- wicd must not be picking up the new status of the hardware. I'll test what I can here to confirm. I use wifi, so we'll see what happens (don't want to shut off my connection while posting ;) )

I believe the fsck cheatcode will only check to see if your partition needs to be fsck'd -- if the log is intact and if the maximum number of mounts have been passed since the last fsck. Check the counts on your drive with tune2fs -l /dev/sdXY (assuming you're using an ext filesystem).

I'll check nVidia performance as well -- can you confirm that you're using the most recent driver that is compatible with your hardware? This would probably be the 295 series by beny if you have a modern card.

Suspend is enabled, but seems to take down wifi. I've added the 'resetwifi' script (by brokenman) to get it back up after resuming.

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#23 by fanthom » 06 Mar 2012, 02:18

@Ahau
I believe the fsck cheatcode will only check to see if your partition needs to be fsck'd
yes but some output still should be displayed.
Rava wrote about two empty lines which means that he has no ext2/3/4 or reiserfs partitions on his hd/usb stick.
I guess that he didn't look at /boot/cheatcodes.txt carefully:

fsck

... Enables a filesystem check for ext(2,3,4) and reiserfs
       partitions during boot time before anything is mounted by
       Porteus. Xfs does not need fsck as a check is performed
       automatically during the mount operation.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#24 by Rava » 07 Mar 2012, 11:01

Hamza wrote:Did you using XFCE Edition for conversation between deb to xzm ?
Yes, yes I did. Only running the XFCe version, minus the 005-devel.

Is it not part of XFCe version? Or is that program inside 005-devel
Ahau wrote:hmm, maybe you've added something that overwrote or somehow deleted /usr/bin/ar? seemed to work fine for me:
Then I look for it in /mnt/live/memory/images:

bash-4.1$ pwd
/mnt/live/memory/images
bash-4.1$ find . -name ar 2>/dev/null
./002-xorg-rava.xzm/usr/share/rdesktop/keymaps/ar
Nope, no ar in there. So, nothing could have overwritten it... But it might be in 005-devel. In my book, it should be NOT in there. :)
Well.... I have at least ONE usb stick that is a bit ... dodgy
I could not fdisk it to have a Linux partition io it. When I did so, it always reverted towards Fat16, whenever I rebooted and plugged in that stick... Now, it has partition.-wise, a FAT16, but the filesystem on it is ext2. This is the only way this USB stick would work, and it works, booting-wise, it also works when I plug it into another running Linux, and always gets seen/used as ext2.
But I am sure the same happened with another pen drive. I have to check out, since I have at least 2 which have two partitions on them, first being a FAT32 one, the second being a ext2 one.

And then there is one stick with only ext2 on it, only one partition.

So, I presume the two yellow lines are okay, but between these lines, I presume fsck should give something like: No need for fsck, yes?

I could try booting with any of these sticks, I think, minus the $GB ext2 only stick, since that one has an older Porteus on it, but the
* dodgy one with fdisk'd FAT16 but mkfs.ext2 to ext2
* 4 GB stick with 1st FAT32 partition and 2nd ext2 partition and
* 8 GB stick with 1st FAT32 partition and 2nd ext2 partition and
These all have Porteus 1.2rc1 XFCe version on it, so I could try running all with the fsck cheatcode - if that is helpful to you, debugging.-wise - and give you the heads up on what it told me, booting-info-wise.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#25 by Ahau » 07 Mar 2012, 13:07

ahh, yes. 'ar' is included in the binutils package, which is in 005-devel. You can activate that module or install the binutils package separately. Since I use the devel module from the standard edition for XFCE, I'll let fanthom speak to where that package will stay for final.

I'd be interested in what you get for fsck output on those sticks...are you able to fsck the "dodgy" one manually? I personally have my sticks set up similar -- 1st partition FAT32 and the 2nd ext4. I'll pay more attention to my fsck output as well...

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#26 by Rava » 07 Mar 2012, 17:52

Ahau wrote:ahh, yes. 'ar' is included in the binutils package, which is in 005-devel. You can activate that module or install the binutils package separately. Since I use the devel module from the standard edition for XFCE, I'll let fanthom speak to where that package will stay for final.
Good to know...
I'd be interested in what you get for fsck output on those sticks...are you able to fsck the "dodgy" one manually? I personally have my sticks set up similar -- 1st partition FAT32 and the 2nd ext4. I'll pay more attention to my fsck output as well...
Yes, I am able to fsck the dodgy one just normal. But sure NOT when I use it as system stick...

But that one only has 256 MB, so not all I need / want fits on it. All of XFCe 1.2 x86-86 minus the devel, but I also want opera, and GIMP, and truecrypt. These I have to keep elsewhere. But still, a system like XFCe Porteus on a stick as small as 256 MB is amazing, isn't it? :)
Cheers!
Yours Rava

fanthom
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
Distribution: Porteus Kiosk

Post#27 by fanthom » 07 Mar 2012, 18:41

@Rava
now i see where the problem is. please add 'delay=2' as your stick is slow to initialize and fsck finds nothing to check.
(fsck runs very early before anything is mounted)
thanks a lot for pointing this out.

@Ahau
please update cheatcodes.txt and add note about 'delay=' cheat to fsck description (required only for usb sticks)
i could hardcode sleep just before fsck but additional time may differ for different sticks and i dont want to slow booting speed that much.
Please add [Solved] to your thread title if the solution was found.

Hamza
Warlord
Warlord

Post#28 by Hamza » 07 Mar 2012, 18:41

That would be good to have some different packs,

Multimedia Pack : Burning Tools, Media Manager like mplayer, kplayer, qmmp..
Internet Pack : Opera, Epiphany, Chrome, ..
etc..
NjVFQzY2Rg==

Rava
Contributor
Contributor

Post#29 by Rava » 08 Mar 2012, 10:01

fanthom wrote:@Rava
now i see where the problem is. please add 'delay=2' as your stick is slow to initialize and fsck finds nothing to check.
(fsck runs very early before anything is mounted)
I will edit my porteus.cfg (since I made an extra entry for gsck... lazy me. xD)

I will then tell you in here about the results.
Cheers!
Yours Rava

Ahau
King of Docs
King of Docs

Post#30 by Ahau » 08 Mar 2012, 13:17

Thanks for bringing this issue up, Rava -- I just tested mine with 'delay=' and it needs 1 second to sleep before it properly performs fsck. I'd been operating under the assumption that it was performing the check and was either skipped because it's mount count was low, or passed. Not the case! several errors were found (in fact, I had to boot with copy2ram and fsck it manually to get them all fixed). So, now I'm good to go :)