getmod: some problems and considerations

New features which should be implemented in Porteus; suggestions are welcome. All questions or problems with testing releases (alpha, beta, or rc) should go in their relevant thread here, rather than the Bug Reports section.
beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#16 by beny » 27 Feb 2023, 19:21

francois alien bob has taken over the slakfinder website and consequently also slackpkg+
because whoever was keeping him at the moment is offside, you're making a little confusion
ok and if you have everyone's repositories available why make a local one, especially if you like iso as you say

francois
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: xfce plank porteus nemesis
Location: Le printemps, le printemps, le printemps... ... l'hiver s'essoufle.

Post#17 by francois » 27 Feb 2023, 21:26

@Hello beny.
Sorry for the confusion. But that might be because I am myself a little confused. I do not work so often with repositories. I did so in 2017 with slapt-get and got it working for porteus. A little before, with slackyd you helped me to sort out the repositories. There is some repository manipulations also with debian and ubuntu, but not much to give you a good understanding of what is really going on.

And as after these few experiences with repositories we got USM, I seldom had to care about repos. Brokenman did a good job gathering packages already built and sbo together in his package manager.

I am really no developper and computer science guy, but just a normal user who likes to understand a little more about what is going on.

My idea amongst other, is to better understand repositories, there coverage of packages under slackware. It seems that slapt-get, gslapt and slapt-src when well articulated would do a good job. If you add getmod a wrapper based on slapt-get which suits the porteus value of simplicity and efficiency, we seem to be on the right path.

From what I understand, the additional repositories over the official slackware repository of Patrick Volkerding, could have quite some overlap.

I suspect, because you mention it that slackfinder created by zerouno (zerouno@slacky.it) and alien bob the actual maintainer (alien@slackware.com) acts as universal slackware repository. Is this the case? So there would be no need to have other repositories in slapt-get.conf than what Ed is using.

And even then, he would have redundant repos with:

Code: Select all

SOURCE=https://slackware.uk/csb/15.0/x86_64/
SOURCE=http://ponce.cc/slackware/slackware64-15.0/packages/
SOURCE=https://slackware.nl/people/alien/sbrepos/15.0/x86_64
Is this the case?

Respecfully,

Note: sorry for this long text of mine.
Prendre son temps, profiter de celui qui passe.

beny
Full of knowledge
Full of knowledge

Post#18 by beny » 27 Feb 2023, 22:15

yes and no alien bob have two kind of repos one for the europe and one for usa that have restricted laws, csb repository is only for the cinamont desktop and have all that it need to work with this desktop manager. and you don't forget the slackpkg wrapper pmod, the only repos that slackpkg do not link well is the salix one but we have the getmod that fit this issue.
uest@porteus:~$ sudo pmod -s vlc

Looking for vlc in package list. Please wait... DONE

The list below shows all packages with name matching "vlc".

[unin] restricted : npapi-vlc-20171129-x86_64-1alien
[unin] restricted : vlc-3.0.17.4-x86_64-1alien
[unin] restricted : vlc2-2.2.8-x86_64-4alien
[mask] alienbob : vlc-3.0.17.4-x86_64-1alien
[mask] ponce : vlc-3.0.17.3-x86_64-3ponce

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#19 by francois » 28 Feb 2023, 00:09

The explanation is crystal clear and you stimulate my attraction for slpkg and pmod.

And I should add slackpkg with our pmod wrapper. Slackpkg has a lot of repositories to offer.

Thanks. :)

francois
Contributor
Contributor

Post#20 by francois » 11 Mar 2023, 12:07

getmod is a nice and simple wrapper for slapt-get. It does a lot. I use it to build the porteus modules. But as I like very much the gslapt interface, I find it convenient to search what is available or already installed on my system with gslapt.

Other slackware package management tools are also interesting. Working with them provides a better understanding of repositories and for a few of them their dependency resolution option under slackware. A good array of such tools exist. They have been listed and commented on linuxquestion:
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... ost6416325

We are often told that with slackware there is no dependency resolution as the system comes all equipped. This is not true as the package pasture is limited. It could be augmented with the supplemental packages offered by alien and ponce amongst others.

As we have a minimal slackware interface on porteus, dependency resolution is critical.

However, slackpack or pmod could provide additional packages which dependencies could be resolved with getmod or spman.