Porteus 3.2.2 - Steam-Edition V0.94

Post links to your 64bit module repos here. Repo maintainers are responsible for resolving any issues caused by their xzm's.
iVAN
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Windows / Linux / Porteus

Post#1 by iVAN » 16 Feb 2017, 19:48

- Made some changes in Module naming and ordering
- additional libaries are from now on ordered as
- 30-Steam_multilibs_alien_selected.xzm
- 30-Steam_addons32.xzm
- 30-Steam_addons64.xzm
- Steam-OpenBox Session now uses Compton-WM for VSync

https://www.magentacloud.de/share/h3f6s1jcre

ftp://porteus2017.hopto.org/
user: porteus
password: porteus

You will find two Versions, a Single Module Version -

Code: Select all

Porteus-3.2.2-SEv094.xzm
and a Multi-Module Version ...

30-Steam_Client.xzm
30-Steam_Compton.xzm
30-Steam_Controller.xzm
30-Steam_Flash-Pepper2400194.xzm
30-Steam_Mesa1302.xzm
30-Steam_Pulsefix.xzm
30-Steam_SteamOS.xzm
30-Steam_Sysprep.xzm
30-Steam_addons32.xzm
30-Steam_addons64.xzm
30-Steam_lxdm.xzm
30-Steam_multilibs_alien_selected.xzm
- The NVIDIA-Driver is Version 375.26
- I also added Mesa 13.02, but this is not really necessary for proprietary Nvidia-Drivers!
- other additional Modules are:

83-Screensavers.xzm
PlayOnLinux410.xzm
Wine1923-x86_64-1alien.xzm
System Passwords are:
root --> toor
steam --> steam
guest --> guest

## Porteus 3.2.2 - Steam-Edtion - First Boot Video ##

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glya4xUoYHk

## Porteus 3.2.2 - Steam-Edtion - In Action Video ##

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nenZaSqpm0

.. that's all .... :D
Last edited by iVAN on 02 Apr 2017, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.
..making a Porteus Module is difficult. No! It`s Easy! Difficult! No, Eaasy! Difficult! Eaaasyyy! Diffiiiiiicult! Easy! DIFFICULT!!!!! EEEEAAASSSSYYYYY! :O: DIIIFFIIIICUUUULT! :O: ........................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja
Distribution: Porteus 3.1

Re: Porteus 3.2.2 - Steam-Edition 0.94

Post#2 by Lucas » 22 Mar 2017, 18:26

Hi,

Evan. I'm having problems downloading the files, the magenta is giving me empty compressed folders after downloading. And I'm actually a bit confused what should I do with all those files. should I make another menu entry at booting to load them? ( If so, how could i do it?) or should I just load the single .xzm to make everything work?

Thanks and best regards,

Lucas

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: Cinnamon 5.01 ISO

Post#3 by Ed_P » 22 Mar 2017, 20:16

They all go in your /porteus/modules/ folder.
Ed

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#4 by Lucas » 23 Mar 2017, 15:49

hi Ed,

I asked because there was an EFI folder inside the cloud for download and because of the images for login...

Regards,

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#5 by Ed_P » 23 Mar 2017, 16:31

Hi Lucas,

hmmm... It appears iVAN uses his cloud address for more than just the modules he's referring to here:
iVAN wrote:You will find two Versions, a Single Module Version -

Porteus-3.2.2-SEv094.xzm
and a Multi-Module Version ...

30-Steam_Client.xzm
30-Steam_Compton.xzm
30-Steam_Controller.xzm
30-Steam_Flash-Pepper2400194.xzm
30-Steam_Mesa1302.xzm
30-Steam_Pulsefix.xzm
30-Steam_SteamOS.xzm
30-Steam_Sysprep.xzm
30-Steam_addons32.xzm
30-Steam_addons64.xzm
30-Steam_lxdm.xzm
30-Steam_multilibs_alien_selected.xzm
I would limit your download to just one, or both, of these files; Single Module , Multi-Module and once the .xzm files are extracted put them into the /porteus/modules folder.

Hope this helps. :)
Ed

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#6 by Lucas » 23 Mar 2017, 19:55

Hi Ed and Ivan,

Ive been able to download them (maybe the server was overcrowded yesterday). I didn't use the EFI file since I'm booting using BIOS. I've got 2 error messages "fatal could not find steamos-xpad module on /lib/porteus 4..." and then it went to the login screen. After I choose steam-openbox and enter as steam user, it went to a policy document. After that it said it needed to update steam but it couldn't detect my network. I tried wifi and cable and none worked.
How can I solve those issues?
Second point, I usually use a pendrive and have a machine with nvidia and other with ati, that driver you put is an all in one solution for nvidia? shouldn't I use it in the optinal folder instead of the modules one? Is it better for me to use the driver that all other people is using? (the one that is in a sepparate thread in this forum). Thanks a lot. I liked your modules and still thinking if I use them straight forward or if I use a boot option to load them (I am the sole user of this pc and I like to skip the login, I usually go directly as root without entering the user password).

Thanks and regards,

Lucas.

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#7 by Ed_P » 24 Mar 2017, 16:02

OK So I downloaded the 209 MB Single Module zip file, copied the 30-Steam-Porteus-3.2.2_SEv094.xzm module in it to my modules folder and activated it. Found the Steam icon in the Porteus menu's Games folder, clicked on it and Steam proceeded to download a 279 MB UPDATE!! Once the update finished Stream required I sign on with an existing Steam account or create a new one. At that point I ended it.

Note: The large dominate Download All button at the bottom of the MegentaCloud.de webpage does indeed download all the files on the page not just the Steam ones. To download just one of the desired Steam modules iVAN referred to check the box to the left of the module's name then click on the little down arrow on the right side of the selected module's name.
Ed

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#8 by Lucas » 24 Mar 2017, 23:25

Hi Ed,

I managed to get to download the files, but had to download one by one because it got interrupted all the time, but I finished downloading. At the second part, I kept trying and discovered that this version of Porteus/steam was using my already saved xfce configuration. So, I was having problems because I only had put my wifi password on the root account and it was trying to download from the steam account (that still doesn't explain why it didn't download when I plugged the cable, but anyways...) so I entered in the steam account through xfce and put the password and logged out. After that I was able to download the update for steam. After spending some time configuring my Porteus I wanted a tip from you. Today I was trying to boot a KDE5, Mate and xfce from the same MicroSD and I believe I had a little trouble since all of them are saving on the same /changes (if it isn't I wouldn't mind if they saved in the same place, it is only a guess why I'm having trouble). If I made a /changes folder for each, could I make them share the root and users folder so they could only save in each folder what is really important to for the desktops? I don't know if it is of any help but I'm sharing with you my porteus.cfg below.

Thanks,

LABEL XFCE
MENU LABEL Graphics (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz noload=0032;0033;30;83 changes=/porteus zram=70% fsck utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the best way we can.
    Try to autoconfigure graphics
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL MATE
MENU LABEL Graphics (MATE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz noload=0031;0033;30;83 changes=/porteus zram=70% fsck utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL KDE
MENU LABEL Graphics (KDE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz noload=0031;0032;30;83 changes=/porteus zram=70% fsck utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL STEAM
MENU LABEL Graphics (STEAM)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz noload=0032;0033;07;08;10;99;98;97;96;95;94;93;92;91;90;89;88;87;86;85 load=Steam;Screensavers changes=/porteus zram=70% fsck utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL XFCE SoE
MENU LABEL Graphics SoE (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz noload=0032;0033;30;83 changes=EXIT:/porteus zram=70% utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution, save on exit
ENDTEXT

LABEL XFCE Base
MENU LABEL Graphics Base (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz base_only noload=0032;0033 changes=/porteus zram=70% utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution, save on exit
ENDTEXT

LABEL XFCE fresh
MENU LABEL Always Fresh (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz nomagic base_only norootcopy zram=60% fsck utc volume=2% kmap=br,us login=root
TEXT HELP
    Normally Porteus saves all changes
    to the /porteus/changes/ directory
    on the boot media (if writable)
    and restores them next boot.
    Use this option to start a fresh
    system, changes are not read from
    or written to any device
ENDTEXT

LABEL XFCE copy2ram
MENU LABEL Copy To RAM (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz copy2ram noload=0032;0033;30;83 zram=60% fsck utc volume=2% kmap=br,us login=root
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the same as above,
    but first copy all data to RAM
    to get a huge speed increase
    (needs >768MB)
ENDTEXT

LABEL XFCE copy2ram Base
MENU LABEL Copy To RAM Base (XFCE)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz copy2ram base_only noload=0032;0033 zram=60% fsck utc volume=2% kmap=br,us login=root
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus the same as above,
    but first copy all data to RAM
    to get a huge speed increase
    (needs >768MB)
ENDTEXT

LABEL STEAM
MENU LABEL Copy To Ram (STEAM)
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz copy2ram noload=0032;0033;07;08;10;99;98;97;96;95;94;93;92;91;90;89;88;87;86;85 load=Steam;Screensavers changes=/porteus zram=70% fsck utc volume=1% kmap=br,us login=root vga_detect
TEXT HELP
    card and use the maximum
    allowed resolution
ENDTEXT

LABEL text
MENU LABEL Text mode
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz 3 zram=60% fsck utc volume=2% kmap=br,us login=root
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus in text mode and
    start the command prompt only
ENDTEXT

LABEL pxe-boot
MENU LABEL Porteus as PXE server
KERNEL vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=initrd.xz pxe zram=60% fsck utc volume=2% kmap=br,us login=root
TEXT HELP
    Run Porteus as usual, but also
    initialize a PXE server.
    This will allow you to boot Porteus
    on other computers over a network
ENDTEXT

MENU SEPARATOR

LABEL plop
MENU LABEL PLoP BootManager
KERNEL plpbt
TEXT HELP
    Run the plop boot manager.
    This utility provides handy
    boot-USB options for machines
    with vintage/defective BIOS
ENDTEXT

LABEL hd
MENU LABEL Boot from the first hd
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd0 1
TEXT HELP
    Don't start Porteus at all, but
    rather run any operating system
    installed on the first partition
    of the hard drive
ENDTEXT

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Post#9 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2017, 04:49

Lucas when I test alternate desktops I use cheatcodes like:

noload=kde;lxde;razor;xfce load=mate
and

noload=kde;lxde;razor;mate load=xfce
I have no idea what you are excluding with codes like:

noload=0032;0033;07;08;10;99;98;97;96;95;94;93;92;91;90;89;88;87;86;85 
and I suspect you don't either. You've convoluted the module concept and I think made it too confusing for yourself and Porteus.

As for sharing a savedat file, there are advantages and disadvantages. KDE5 is a little strange from the posts I have read so having it use a save.dat separate from the other DEs you mentioned might be a good idea.
Ed

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor

Post#10 by iVAN » 25 Mar 2017, 13:06

Lucas wrote:Hi Ed and Ivan,

Ive been able to download them (maybe the server was overcrowded yesterday). I didn't use the EFI file since I'm booting using BIOS. I've got 2 error messages "fatal could not find steamos-xpad module on /lib/porteus 4..." and then it went to the login screen. After I choose steam-openbox and enter as steam user, it went to a policy document. After that it said it needed to update steam but it couldn't detect my network. I tried wifi and cable and none worked.
How can I solve those issues?
Second point, I usually use a pendrive and have a machine with nvidia and other with ati, that driver you put is an all in one solution for nvidia? shouldn't I use it in the optinal folder instead of the modules one? Is it better for me to use the driver that all other people is using? (the one that is in a sepparate thread in this forum). Thanks a lot. I liked your modules and still thinking if I use them straight forward or if I use a boot option to load them (I am the sole user of this pc and I like to skip the login, I usually go directly as root without entering the user password).

Thanks and regards,

Lucas.

Hello Lucas,

some Difficulties I see,
- before putting the Steam Modules in your Porteus installation, make sure to have a network-connection.
- start with a clean changes Folder would be best
- start with a clean Porteus 3.2.2 Installation would be better
- make sure you use Porteus 3.2.2 cause XPad (Steam-Controller) and NVIDIA-Drivers are bound to the right Kernel-Version
- My Cloudspace is only my Cloudspace so keep on trying if there are some difficulties with Downloading, it is the German-Telekom...!
-
..making a Porteus Module is difficult. No! It`s Easy! Difficult! No, Eaasy! Difficult! Eaaasyyy! Diffiiiiiicult! Easy! DIFFICULT!!!!! EEEEAAASSSSYYYYY! :O: DIIIFFIIIICUUUULT! :O: ........................ :wall: :wall: :wall:

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor

Post#11 by iVAN » 25 Mar 2017, 14:08

Ed_P wrote:Lucas when I test alternate desktops I use cheatcodes like:

noload=kde;lxde;razor;xfce load=mate
and

noload=kde;lxde;razor;mate load=xfce
I have no idea what you are excluding with codes like:

noload=0032;0033;07;08;10;99;98;97;96;95;94;93;92;91;90;89;88;87;86;85 
and I suspect you don't either. You've convoluted the module concept and I think made it too confusing for yourself and Porteus.

As for sharing a savedat file, there are advantages and disadvantages. KDE5 is a little strange from the posts I have read so having it use a save.dat separate from the other DEs you mentioned might be a good idea.
..that is right, the Module-Concept is good and nice, but it is a bit difficult to explain, if you build up or install modules on and on,
it is only a matter of time to send your Porteus Installation to Nirvana ...! :%)
You have to follow very carefully the Library and other compatibilities of the System you expand with Modules ... only to say that on the edge ..:! :roll:

Ed_P
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Porteus 3.2.2 - Steam-Edition V0.94

Post#12 by Ed_P » 25 Mar 2017, 18:18

Lucas, not to digress from the topic too far, but there are ways to control modules other than renaming them and noloading them. Some methods I use:

When I replace a module with an upgrade; Flash, Firefox, etc, and want to be sure the upgrade works before I delete the old version, I change the old version's extention from .xzm to .xyzm which keeps it from loading. Simple, effective, both new and old modules stay in the /modules folder and no changes to the boot parms.

When I have modules that I only use occasionally I put them in a folder named optional. When I want to use one of them I open the folder with my file manager and double click on the module I want to use which activates it.

When I want to test a scenario that requires several special modules I put the special modules in a separate folder and add a cheatcode to my boot parms. Something like:

volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=porteus3.2/Steam/Modules
I hope this helps.
Ed

iVAN
Contributor
Contributor

Post#13 by iVAN » 27 Mar 2017, 06:40

Ed_P wrote:Lucas, not to digress from the topic too far, but there are ways to control modules other than renaming them and noloading them. Some methods I use:

When I replace a module with an upgrade; Flash, Firefox, etc, and want to be sure the upgrade works before I delete the old version, I change the old version's extention from .xzm to .xyzm which keeps it from loading. Simple, effective, both new and old modules stay in the /modules folder and no changes to the boot parms.

When I have modules that I only use occasionally I put them in a folder named optional. When I want to use one of them I open the folder with my file manager and double click on the module I want to use which activates it.

When I want to test a scenario that requires several special modules I put the special modules in a separate folder and add a cheatcode to my boot parms. Something like:

volume=33 reboot=cold extramod=porteus3.2/Steam/Modules
I hope this helps.
.. I work with User.xzm and mainly start from a clean System plus my User.xzm <--- in there is only the /Home/User with it`s User specific Files, so when I delete my changes Drawer the System comes up clean with my last updated User-datas.... :D
The Steam-Games-Folder is separated from its /home/steam directory on another Partition so it will not be affected at all. I find this very usefull, cause when I delete all changes for some reasons, I got stuck and hung up my system, it boots up always clean with the saved last stand....

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#14 by Lucas » 27 Mar 2017, 13:39

Hi Ed and Ivan,

I really liked many of your suggestions, I surely will use them in the future. Just explaining a little bit about those numbers. I didn't renamed the modules, I just put a number in the beginning. I did this to keep all modules of a specific program or the likes close, lets say I have Pidgin (which has Skype, Telegram, ....), if they have the same number in the beginning, I will see them together in the folder. The second reason is that when I put the number in noload, it no loads pidgin and all related modules without having to write them one by one. Regarding xfce, kde and mate, they already came with 003 so I added a 1,2 and 3 after that. I did that because there are some modules that comes with kde in the name for noting that it is a kde edition (which may still load in other DE). If I put kde in noload it will prevent loading the modules that have some kde in the name.
Anyways, one thing that I really liked is the User.xzm concept. I would love to do separate save.dat for the DE specific files but for all of them to load the same /root and /home (correct me if I'm wrong since I'm a beginner but I believe that the files in these folders if loaded from the different DE won't cause them to crush or not load since they are not to DE oriented). How can I create this folders? Can I make these modules to grow in size as I save things inside them? How can I make Porteus to load/mount these same folders in different folder trees from each DE? One other thing I would like to do is to create a, lets say, games.xzm to save my Steam games so I can save them in another drive. I have my machine in a microSD and I wanted to copy to ram a slim Porteus (or just run from the micro SD depending on the performance, need to see which is better) with Steam and to run the games from the computer hard drive. (I believe that the previous questions cover this point, if there are any tips I would be glad to read them).
Ed, I don't know why there are some modules that I can't activate right away. I need to reboot with them on the modules folder for them to load...

Thanks and have a nice week,

Lucas.

Lucas
Black ninja
Black ninja

Post#15 by Lucas » 27 Mar 2017, 17:56

Hi Ed and Ivan,

Giving a better thought, maybe it is better to put the changes in xfce, kde and mate into modules and leave the /root and /home in the folder changes (no module) because the file size would be smaller (my /root and folder has 30gb to 40gb while all other changes have about 2gb). it is easier to manage and less likely to get corrupt.

Regards,