TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.2 WIP 2023.08

Post links to your 64bit module repos here. Repo maintainers are responsible for resolving any issues caused by their xzm's.
Rava
Contributor
Contributor
Distribution: XFCE 5.01 x86_64 + 4.0 i586

TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.2 WIP 2023.08

Post#1 by Rava » 20 Sep 2023, 15:36

Important Update at the very end (just look for the huge text (size=200) "Update" set also in bold and bright green there)

There is a newer version I just downloaded - also called 7.2 WIP, but with this tag when you start it

Code: Select all

TestDisk 7.2-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, August 2023
instead of my older version being:

TestDisk 7.2-WIP, Data Recovery Utility, Novembre 2020
One issue is to be resolved before I create the module, that I did not recall with the older version from here
TestDisk & PhotoRec 7.2 WIP
I started testdisk 7.2 WIP 2023.08 and aborted it via Ctrl+C and then the cursor was gone. I could type stuff and execute stuff but editing the command line was off since I did not see where the cursor was. Executing

reset
solved the issue.

The new version has a file in l/linux

linux: Compiled terminfo entry "linux"
Probably that is needed - added to the module to not get the vanishing cursor.

@ncmprhnsbl @beny @donald @Mike_Walsh @all
Do you know more about compiled terminfo entries? Because I only recall having heard of these but forgot all the details; ergo I have no clue how to incorporate that into a module and if I should do so in the first place since it could cause issues with the rest of the system?

Added in 18 hours 24 minutes 31 seconds:
Until the above described issue is resolved for now you can download and extract it out of the tar.bz2 file from here:
https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-7.2 ... 64.tar.bz2

The forum about everything testdisk is here:
@all who are planing on using testdisk to recover data.
Visit the support forum https://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/ (Forums are in English, German and French)

For the English only stuff go here: https://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=2
and read what info is to be found about your issue even when testdisk seems to initially do all you want it to do.

Also made a screenshot of the forum for you (made 21 Sep 2023 - so you see the forum is quite active):

And quite important:
Read every info testdisk gives you calmly and take your time. You do not want to cause any more data losses:
Rava wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 10:39
Be aware that the programs can help with fixing partition issues and data recovery, but applying one or all programs erroneously can also create data loss. =@
Added some 4 days later:
UPDATE
Now that I waited 4 days (and I even sent PMs to some people known for being software-savvy and especially system-savvy) but got no reply on my vanishing cursor and the compiled terminfo entry, I will create the module regardless. I will edit this post accordingly to make it better readable for you folks, removing some stuff and re-structuring stuff.

Like I will mention my unresolved issue with the cursor, the quick fix via reset; but the mentioning of the compiled terminfo entry I will only post below the upload link for those who want to read more in depth. :Rose:

Due to personal reasons could be I manage the module in some hours, or maybe it will take some days. Stay tuned. :)
Last edited by Rava on 23 Sep 2023, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: "Update 4 days later"
Cheers!
Yours Rava